Out with the old in with the well.... older

Drew

Great attention to detail and craftmanship.

The SC wheels almost give it the retro look that I remember in the 60's.

You've got me wondering if I should hang on to my 2 sets. They might be like old ties. Wait it out and there back in style.

Are you hopeing for completion this yr?

Paul

Got some more time on the truck, starting to see some progress which is real nice. Air bags are installed in the rear, and truck sits perfect with them in.
Also started mocking up the motor. I need to make new mounts as the ones that are on the crossmember are for a 350 but I can get an idea of how it will look. suprizing that everything seems like it will clear without any major surgery which is a huge bonus. Although it would probably be easier to put a 302 or 3.8!
Drew

Attachments

• 50 merc 023.jpg
    50 merc 023.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 2,437
  • 50 merc 020.jpg
    50 merc 020.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 2,345
  • 50 merc 021.jpg
    50 merc 021.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 2,483
  • 50 merc 022.jpg
    50 merc 022.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 2,414
  • 50 merc 019.jpg
    50 merc 019.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 3,208
Drew, you keep saying its not a SC but I want you to know there are some of us who are following the progress with interest. I for one love the older vehicles and am seeing alot of outstanding work going on here. Keep the updates flowing and thanks for that wiring harness post you made. That brings ALOT of Ideas into my head, lol. Good work Man, Chuck

Hey Ryan, that's actually the kit I used. Pretty cool. Too bad I didn't know about it before I parted my 91 with the 3:73's in the back! Oh well the mark rear will do for now plus it's a bit lighter and easier to get air bags in the LCA's of the mark.
I was hoping a few guys would be interested in the build but wasn't sure. There is a bit of MN12 content I guess.
Thank you for the kind comments I appreciate them.

Drew

I figured I would share some work that I was able to get done on the truck.
Haven't had much time lately and it's not that interesting but I find the metal working a lot of fun. Sparking up the welder has it's rewards I guess.
Holes behind the original leaf spring mounts.

Attachments

• 50 merc 030.jpg
    50 merc 030.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 730
  • 50 merc 031.jpg
    50 merc 031.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 725
  • 50 merc 032.jpg
    50 merc 032.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 727
  • 50 merc 034.jpg
    50 merc 034.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 678
  • 50 merc 035.jpg
    50 merc 035.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 730
Patching the holes. One thing that I have found is the original steel is very soft compare to the new steel. I'm not sure if it would be the quality or the age??

Attachments

• 50 merc 038.jpg
    50 merc 038.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 627
  • 50 merc 039.jpg
    50 merc 039.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 731
  • 50 merc 037.jpg
    50 merc 037.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 619
  • 50 merc 024.jpg
    50 merc 024.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 717
Finished product.
Next step for me now is to remove the cab and make the engine/tranny mounts. Then the front end will come off and the fram will go for sandblasting.
Then it will come back to the garage and the frame will get boxed in the rear and front and I mayy make a few new cross members ( not sure yet though )
Then on to powder coating if I can afford it. My plan is to have the chassis complete by early spring then I can focus on the cab repairs and maybe start wiring the motor.

Drew

Attachments

• 50 merc 041.jpg
    50 merc 041.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 732
  • 50 merc 042.jpg
    50 merc 042.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 723
  • 50 merc 043.jpg
    50 merc 043.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 710
  • 50 merc 033.jpg
    50 merc 033.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 739
Looks like you have some great welding skills, Drew. Glad to see that you are able to put some project time into your busy life. I call that kind of time 'Therapy':D
Alan

Hey guys, figured I would share an update with my truck. Haven't really done much to it lately as most know raising kids and work always take priority. Haven't even been fishing this year.
I did get some a few hrs to myself on the truck teh other day and got it torn right down to the bones. Cab is off and in worse shape than I originally though so I need to figure out a plan for that now. I just took the frame in today for sandblasting and hope to have it back in a few days. then I can start boxing it and install the fuel tank/ lines brake lines make the motor/tranny mounts and start putting it together.
Here is what it looked like before sandblasting. I will post a picture when I get it back.
Drew

Attachments

• 50 Merc 018.jpg
    50 Merc 018.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 786
I picked up the chassis from the sand balsters the other day. Pretty happy how it turned out. I am picking up the steel to start boxing the frame on monday then the frame will get coated and put back together hopefully for the last time. I am way behind my original timeline but thats ok. Not really much time to work on it so I would rather take my time and do as nic a job as I can.
I also brought the bird back home from winter storage, how sweet it was driving that again. Figured I would share a pic with it being an SC site and all.
I think I need to tint the windows on the sc, what do yo think?

Drew

Attachments

• 90sc 006.jpg
    90sc 006.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 409
  • 90sc 007.jpg
    90sc 007.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 238
Hey Paul,
Tires are 255/45/17's which I think are .5" smaller than stock.
Plus eibach 1.5" drop with poly spring isolators.

Drew

Frame looks great. Make sure to put on some sort of coating on that right away, the steel starts to oxidize as soon as the air gets to it.

I would also tint the windows. I think all white cars should come with tint from the factory.:D

I picked up the chassis from the sand balsters the other day. Pretty happy how it turned out. I am picking up the steel to start boxing the frame on monday then the frame will get coated and put back together hopefully for the last time. I am way behind my original timeline but thats ok. Not really much time to work on it so I would rather take my time and do as nic a job as I can.
I also brought the bird back home from winter storage, how sweet it was driving that again. Figured I would share a pic with it being an SC site and all.
I think I need to tint the windows on the sc, what do yo think?

Drew

Drew, the Sc is looking nice sitting there....as for tint, I say yes, nice dark tint on a white car looks good.

Been a while since I posted anything about my truck. Went through a tough spot to find the time to work on it but lately Ii have been able to squeeze in some time. I have completed boxing the rear of the frame and just need to install the rear x-member and bolt the IRS back in to chech the fitment.
Also going to install the bed so I can decide which way I am going to go for wheels/tires.
One real positive was I picked up another cab, my original cab needed lost of work and patch panels galor including a anew floor. I found a rust free cab that is absolutley mint. I had it sandblated and primered on the weekend. I am pumped about scoring this as it will save me a ton of money and probably take 6 months off the build time.
Here's a few pics.
Drew

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 1,403
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,313
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 1,305
Paul, The cab is Canadian from Alberta originally. The guy I bought it from brought it over with two other trucks. He had two mint cabs and chose to sell this one cause it needed paint where as the one he kept was a nice patina which he wanted. Go figure. I'm happy!!!
I still havent decided my motor, 4.6 DOHC, 302, new 5.0, or been considering turbo 3.8 since all the turbo talk lately? I have the 4.6dohc though.

Drew

Back