Orlando Speed World Dragway Friday 5/6

SuperChicken89

Anyone interested in going to Orlando Speed World Friday 5/6 evening? As of now, I'm planning on taking the SC out to see if I can blow it up:D I would like to see what kind of times I can put down before the next HP upgrade.

I took the Cougar out a few weeks back and had an absolute blast. The best time I put down that night was 13.85 @ 104 mph with no traction. I think the SC might be able to do that also but we'll see.

Bryan

No Time... Have fun. Would love to run the SC to see it's time, maybe some other time.

Damn, can't this Friday Bry, but I'll be pullin' for you to get some traction and a good timeslip.

Report back!

I did make it to OSW on Friday and made 6 passes. The best I could do was my very first pass where I wasn't even trying all that much. I was more just felling the car out and turned 14.13 @99.4 mph with a 2.2 60' time. On the second run, blew the tires loose off the line and it didn't improve from there.

I now know the AOD TV pressure needs a bit of adjusting because at WOT 5,000-5400 rpm the trans won't manually shift until I let up on the accelerator peddle. That is never good for quick/fast times;)

All I was basically looking for was some times before the next hp upgrade.

Bryan

I'm going back to OSW tonight with the Cougar. Got me a set of MT drag radials. Now we'll see what it can do.

Bryan

Had some fun on Friday night with the old Cougar! The best I did was a 13.451 @ 103.65. Gotta figure out how to launch better. The best I could do was 2.040. I think it should be around 1.90 but what do I know. I also think my top speed is off because of the taller tires changing the final ratio. I want to get down to 13.20 and I'll be somewhat satisfied:)

I'm going back out this coming Friday night weather and job permitting if anyone else wants to go. The number of good weather Friday nights are very limited this time of the year.

Saw JD out there Friday night but didn't get much time to talk to him. TJ... come on and break in that new Mustang the right way:D Nothing like a few 1320' runs to work out the new car bugs! There have been a few new 5.0 Mustangs out there and they do run good!

Bryan

Had some fun on Friday night with the old Cougar! The best I did was a 13.451 @ 103.65. Gotta figure out how to launch better. The best I could do was 2.040. I think it should be around 1.90 but what do I know. I also think my top speed is off because of the taller tires changing the final ratio. I want to get down to 13.20 and I'll be somewhat satisfied:)

I'm going back out this coming Friday night weather and job permitting if anyone else wants to go. The number of good weather Friday nights are very limited this time of the year.

Saw JD out there Friday night but didn't get much time to talk to him. TJ... come on and break in that new Mustang the right way:D Nothing like a few 1320' runs to work out the new car bugs! There have been a few new 5.0 Mustangs out there and they do run good!

Bryan

No way! I've got 200 miles on it. Last thing I need to do is have another repeat of a broken car! In a few months, I'll be out, I promise. I know I'll definitely be at Moroso in September.

Went back to OSW with the Cougar on Friday night. The good news is I improved on my times to 13.422 @104.88 mph but my 60' times decreased with the best 2.123. I haven't been able to figure out these MT Streets yet. Friday I decreased the pressure to 21 lbs and tried launching three different ways with no improvement. I launched by bringing the rpm's up to 1200, 1500, and 2200. My converter is supposed to be a 2400 stall. Nothing seemed to help. The harder I tried to launch the more I spun the tires off the line. I think I'm going to just launch off idle next time and roll hard into the gas to see what happens. It is pretty obvious I don't know what I'm doing but still having fun:D

Bryan

Well...I did take her down to Bradenton...

...and they do things a lot different than what I'm used to, or maybe I just forgot after a few years.

Couldn't launch the car worth a damn. I think the best 60' was 2.33, yeah...I know. Pirelli's are going...very soon. I was talking with another guy with an 09 GT, and we were both running about 95-97 MPH...with an ET of 15.3's and 15.2's. When Ben had the Mach 1, it would average about 13.8 at 97 MPH...and the Shelby was just a tad faster, even with the 400+ extra pounds.

The track wasn't prepped at all, and I probably would fair better at the "Ice Rink" ( I am using quotations because I think I found a new rink ). Once the car got going, and you could hear the "stick" on the tires, she f**cking moved. Oh, and burnouts are WAY TOO EASY in this thing.

Having a little bit of money is making things a lot easier, too. I am a bit more aware of what's going on.

My biggest complaints with the car are two things:

1) The all aluminum motor makes the front end VERY floaty. It doesn't weigh anything and the car just kinda wants to bob and move all the time, especially on the highways. Part of me thinks I would have been better with a bare-bones GT...but I really like my leather and techy-wheel. I am thinking that putting some control arms on the rears might help just a bit, and some NITTO 555's. Cutting a .004 light and running two and a half in the 60' makes me look like a moron. I even dropped the pressure to 25 PSI, and nothing.

2) The gearing. The 2.73's are just not going to cut it. I'm out of first way too fast, and there's a split-second move to be able to shift to 4th before the 1320. The shifter isn't as rubbery feeling as the 05-10, but it's not as crisp as I'd prefer, especially with experience with the Shelby Hurst...so, a Hurst or even Steeda might be in the works. I think 3.11's might be a little too short, so I'm looking at 3.27's. Any suggestions (cough cough) Bryan?

Bryan:

I've always had luck with a 1100-1300 RPM launch with an auto. Even if you get a slight bog, let it go, and nail it when it hooks. Sometimes, I've even had luck just letting the tires spin a bit until they hook and just go.

The gearing. The 2.73's are just not going to cut it. I'm out of first way too fast, and there's a split-second move to be able to shift to 4th before the 1320. The shifter isn't as rubbery feeling as the 05-10, but it's not as crisp as I'd prefer, especially with experience with the Shelby Hurst...so, a Hurst or even Steeda might be in the works. I think 3.11's might be a little too short, so I'm looking at 3.27's. Any suggestions (cough cough) Bryan?

If you go with 3.27's then 1st gear will be useless but then again the 3.11's won't be enough:rolleyes: What are the other V6 6-speed guys running?

I've always had luck with a 1100-1300 RPM launch with an auto. Even if you get a slight bog, let it go, and nail it when it hooks. Sometimes, I've even had luck just letting the tires spin a bit until they hook and just go.

I seem to have the best luck launching 1200 - 1500 rpm. I really need to work on launching the car and screw the rest until I can figure it out. I should be able to get a 1.9 60' with the MT ET Streets. That is my goal.

Bryan

Last edited:
If you go with 3.27's then 1st gear will be useless but then again the 3.11's won't be enough:rolleyes: What are the other V6 6-speed guys running?

I seem to have the best luck launching 1200 - 1500 rpm. I really need to work on launching the car and screw the rest until I can figure it out. I should be able to get a 1.9 60' with the MT ET Streets. That is my goal.

Bryan

The car should be a 13.70's-13.80's all day long kinda run.

Do you let off when you get the spins?

The car should be a 13.70's-13.80's all day long kinda run.

Do you let off when you get the spins?

When the tires start to spin, I let off just enough to get them grab and then back in it hard. I think I just have to find the right rpm to launch and roll into the gas hard enough to maintain traction. Guess I expect the MT Streets to grab no matter how hard I launch it. I just have to work at it to find the right combination.

Bryan

When the tires start to spin, I let off just enough to get them grab and then back in it hard. I think I just have to find the right rpm to launch and roll into the gas hard enough to maintain traction. Guess I expect the MT Streets to grab no matter how hard I launch it. I just have to work at it to find the right combination.

Bryan

Next time you want to head out, maybe I'll join you. Friday nights are usually best for me.

Back