Thread: To SC or not to SC... That is the dillema

To SC or not to SC... That is the dillema

Hey all, I happened across a great deal with a 92 SC. Guy is only asking 1700 for it, champagne in color, has a straight body, little to no rust, needs some paint attention, but I haven't driven it yet. Was wondering if, considering it drove well, and has been kept up to date, if 1700 is a fair price for one.

Pics -

Sorry for the ishtty quality, I took them on my cell and it's not exactly meant for pics. Hell, call quality sucks on it, picture quality is in the same circle. Anyways, if I go look for it, what common problems would I need to look for? I know to check the S/C fluid, make sure it's up to the threads cold, and of course listen for abnormalities while it's running, just need to know what to listen/look for that he might pass off as 'Oh it's never done that before'.

I promise not to pester too much on here, as I'd rather lurk and learn. So with that said, fire away gentlemen, (and ladies).

-J

miles? (~~~~ the 10 letters quota)

Ehh, I'm not entirely sure, just noticed one day it was for sale, so I've been researching and doing my homework. How many miles are 'Hold fire zone' and how many are considered in the ok range? My last T-bird only had 170k on the ticker, but it had so many issues from the PO that I had to chalk it up as a loss and sell it for about half of what I gave for it.

Looks like an 89 or 90. 92's had LED taillights, color matched console top and no storage cubby on the top of the dash.

I spy rust on the quarter panel above the GFX, if it's gotten to there the rockers are guaranteed gone.
    Last edited by XR7-4.6; 05-12-2011 at 04:32 AM.

If you drive it , put it under heavy boost to make sure there is no "steam " coming out of the tailpipes .

If it drives well, sure, I think it's a fair price. But I would take a hard look at the rockers and underbody, as another poster indicated.

Even with some rust, I am not sure I would pass on it. But I might drop the bid to account for the required work.
    God bless!!!

1990 SC auto ... red outside, gray cloth inside ... ~205,000 miles (and climbing) ... driven daily!

I think that colour is titanium silver I believe. And, 1200 dollars would still be fair for that condition me thinks.

So should I offer him 1200? I figured 1700 would be a good price since around here, it's difficult to find anything running for under 2k. Gotta love a hole in the wall town where everyone thinks their 1970 something Chevy 4x4's are worth more than gold.