Bout to buy an SC

Helltime

A friend of mine has an 89 SC 5spd that i can buy pretty dang cheap, it needs 2 things though, needs power brakes (owner before him removed the booster when it went out :mad:) and the 2nd gear synchro in the trans is out. Other than that it drove pretty good. I joined here before hand to look up trans swaps and figure out how to convert back to power brakes.

Iowa, looks like stock trans is the only option....guess my next question is how much should i expect to pay for a rebuild with better synchros?

I have pulled a transmission on my back in the driveway by myself and I'm 50 so don't be afraid of re and re-ing the transmission.

regards

Sean

I have pulled a transmission on my back in the driveway by myself and I'm 50 so don't be afraid of re and re-ing the transmission.

regards

Sean

I'm not afraid of pulling it, i just don't know how much it is going to cost me to have it rebuilt. I think it requires special tools, and i have NEVER rebuilt a trans (nor do i have the confidence to do so). I had the t-5 out of my old 85 mustang GT and my dad's old 83 a few times, if its the same process for these then its a non issue removing and installing. How would you go from manual brakes back to power assist?

Swapping back to ABS isn't too difficult.....

Go easy on the brake lines when bending them back into their original position.....

Make sure you do not cross thread any of the fittings.....:p

Iowa, looks like stock trans is the only option....guess my next question is how much should i expect to pay for a rebuild with better synchros?

I don't think it's a particularly complicated trans. And I believe you can use F150 synchro's & blockers. do a search for southerngear.com. I seem to recall chatting w/them and getting intelligent feedback.

Swapping back to ABS isn't too difficult.....

Go easy on the brake lines when bending them back into their original position.....

Make sure you do not cross thread any of the fittings.....:p

Where do i order the parts from? From what I read on here last night before bed it sounds expensive.

Made a verbal deal with him today, gonna pick it up thursday, will post a couple pics when i do. I figure for $800 bucks tho, can't really go wrong.

I would be willing to bet $20 that you are talking about the car from THIS and THIS thread.

Kyle

I will take your bet as long as your willing to pay me the $20 :D
Sounds like someone went through hell though. The owner before the current one i know he has had the car since atleast 08. He parked it thinking the head gasket is out, my friend (his cousin) bought it for $500, has been driving it, as far as i can tell the head gaskets are fine, no oil/antifreeze mixing, no smoke, nothing. And its red with a black primer bumper. It does have damage on the rear quarters though. But i don't care about that so much.

Hmmm, I said that because the car in my links has 2nd gear issues also, and it is was in Iowa. Where are you located? Looks like I owe you some beers :)

Kyle

I work in Ankeny at Karl's and live about 40 miles south of AK in Milo (BFE). It's nice to see some SC interest in the DM area.

Ah ok, I'm in ankeny all the time and i ride through milo sometimes on my motorcycle. Do you have a thread on your car? What all have you done to it?
i wanna join and be a member but it says they are not accepting new members at this time....

Picked it up! Its now at my house, can't wait to get to work. Starting to get used to the brakes....still want power though.

Congrats on the "new" ride! Here is a thread I started on my car after it was painted http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109150

Kyle

Looks good. I drove mine home from in the middle of nowhere bout 40 miles away at about 12:30am. It didn't have dash lights so i used my phones HUD, worked well lol. Started pulling fuses today and it was a blown fuse, gauge lights work now :D It needs some work but i got this for a project, and thats what it is. I loved hearing the supercharger whine on the way home! Now i have a turbo DD and a Supercharged toy. I'm excited.

Back