Thread: Leaking ABS Pump Motor?

Leaking ABS Pump Motor?

1991 Thunderbird SC. I replaced the accumulator ball last year. Everything was good until recentlyÖ Brakes were leaking fluid from under the master cylinder reservoir (enough to leave a big puddle under the car). Took the car to my mechanic, and he says it looks like it is leaking from the ABS Pump Motor (part #E9SZ2C256A). Of course, that part is discontinued. He doesnít want to take it apart to far, in case we canít get a replacement (or in case itís monumentally expensive). So, he asked me to do some research for him.

Where can I get a replacement for this part? Is it possible the part itself isnít bad, and it just needs a gasket? What is involved in replacing this? Suggestions?

It could just be a hose ... there is a rubber hose under the ABS unit.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthre...=abs+hose+leak
    http://www.eastcoastrollingthunder.c...sg3941#msg3941

It could be leaking from the pump motor, as well.

Rebuilt units are available from a few places ... although I forget exactly where at the moment.

A member here called "the-big-e" usually has a few good used units for sale.

But I would check the hose before buying anything.
    Last edited by S_Mazza; 05-31-2011 at 04:56 PM.
    God bless!!!

1990 SC auto ... red outside, gray cloth inside ... ~205,000 miles (and climbing) ... driven daily!

Big E to the rescue.....

The front seal on the pump motor has failed letting brake fluid into the pump motor housing.....

It's a good thing you are repairing this problem.....

If you continue to allow brake fluid into the pump motor housing, it will eventually corrode the insides and seize up the motor.....

I have some pump motors that have been reconditioned, including new seals and bearings....

They are not that hard to replace.....

Definitely check the supply line hose that goes from the reservoir to the pump.....

Give me your zip code and I'll quote you a price that includes shipping....
    Last edited by the-big-e; 05-31-2011 at 04:56 PM.

ABS pump motor needed

Hi Big E,

I'm wondering if you have any additional reconditioned ABS pump motors

I also have a puddle under the car and have already checked the reservoir to pump hose and it is all dry

ABS pump motor very oily

I look forward to your reply

I can also be reached 253.732.5846 98467 zip code

Steve

Yes, I have a freshly rebuilt pump motor ready to ship.....

PM sent.....

mine was the sensor leaking to the rear brakes for the ride control . i went to the junkyard and found a sensor to fit off a master cylinder from a lincoln it screws on and plugs in and does not leak but the car stays on firm ride

ralph
    Last edited by rlong; 10-03-2011 at 01:12 AM.

Unplug the sensor and see if the light goes off.....

If it does, then the sensor is bad.....

Had this happen to my 92....

LIVE IN OREGON NOW WOULD LIKE A CHAPTER HERE.

Motor

I know this is an old thread but i need a motor do you happen to have one still or know where i can find one. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by USCFOOTBALL View Post
    I know this is an old thread but i need a motor do you happen to have one still or know where i can find one. Thanks.
    I had to look back through my notes, but I believe I got the replacement motor from "the-big-e" on this forum (in this thread). He was very helpful in diagnosing my problem, and had the part I needed.

You can also check with Jose Nunez, The ABS Tech, in Dallas 214-579-7846. He can rebuild the pumps & motors if you can't find one. I had one that kept on leaking and it turned out to be the high pressure switch that screws into the pump. I had it out and back in 3 times and it still leaked. Sent the ~~~'y to Jose and he found the pressure switch was the cause of the leak. They are available on eBay used for about $100. As long as the plug pins are the same it'll work. On my 2 SCs one is from a Saab Turbo and the other is from a Jaguar. They both fit and work.
    90 5spd, best ever E.T. 12.250
    best ever 1/4mi speed 112.89 mph
    Current dyno tune 383.54 rwhp 418.88 rwt

Abs pump

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Puckett View Post
    You can also check with Jose Nunez, The ABS Tech, in Dallas 214-579-7846. He can rebuild the pumps & motors if you can't find one. I had one that kept on leaking and it turned out to be the high pressure switch that screws into the pump. I had it out and back in 3 times and it still leaked. Sent the ~~~'y to Jose and he found the pressure switch was the cause of the leak. They are available on eBay used for about $100. As long as the plug pins are the same it'll work. On my 2 SCs one is from a Saab Turbo and the other is from a Jaguar. They both fit and work.
    There are twp NOS units available on e-bay. A little pricey, a little under $
    400. each.
    PERSONAL LUXURY SPORTS CAR 1955-57
    PERSONAL LUXURY PERFORMANCE CAR 1989-95

Good afternoon

The TEVES II complete unit and pump are available from Summit Racing

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...el/thunderbird

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...el/thunderbird

You could also search salvage yards for 1989 Lincoln Continental complete TEVES II. In my experiences they appear to be in much better overall shape (evidence of pump leak failure) than found on Cougars, Lincoln Mark VII and Thunderbirds. I have one as a backup. The complete unit (including the pump) can be interchanged with 1989 -1992 Thunderbird S/C. Note the Autozone pump price 1990 Thunderbird SC.

http://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-t...otor/47877_0_0

1989 Lincoln

http://www.autozone.com/catalog/comm...-4411/4/image/

1990 Thunderbird SC

http://www.autozone.com/catalog/comm...-4411/4/image/

Good Luck.