Turbo Time!!

CMac89

I've been fighting a problem with the motor cutting out at random RPMs. Yesterday, I found that the yellow/green tracer wire at the DIS was broken in half and just rubbing together. I soldered that and it fixed a lot of small problems I was having.

Anyways, I mounted up a set of free Hoosier radial slicks (30x9) and hit the track up. I started out running 15PSI and 12 degrees of timing. My first pass, I bogged it way too much and ran a 12.66 at 121.41 MPH. Then I tried richening the motor up and it started to stumble, in high gear, but it didn't bog or anything and netted an 11.84 at 120.89 MPH.

For some reason, my car is running 2 degrees less timing that what I command. I know I have some timing being pulled whenever the ACTs get to 150 degrees and ECTs get to 190 degrees. So I turned the timing up to 14 degrees and turned the boost up from 15PSI to 21PSI.

This run, it bogged again, but started getting down the track a lot better. It was a little sketchy, but managed to pull off an 11.31 at 130.07 MPH with a measly 2.100 60 foot.

I was pretty excited, so after this run I went for one more PSI and put my game face on for a better 60 foot. I couldn't get the tires to spin so I was just using a lot of RPM and slipping the clutch to get it to leave. I managed to pull a 1.70 60 foot, but broke the yoke of the driveshaft off inside of the transmission. It didn't break until I completely let off of the clutch, which seems to be after the 60 foot. Thank god for driveshaft loops!! That 60 foot was four tenths faster than the previous run, so I'm more than sure I was on a 10 second run.

The car broke on good terms, so I'm not upset. I'm on borrowed time with stock parts anyways.:) Workin the bugs out of this thing, so things can only get better and they are.

IMAG0282.jpg

IMAG0280.jpg

IMAG0281.jpg

IMAG0279.jpg

What exactly do you plan on doing about the shaft? I would assume you could get one made but would probably pay over $700, then the next weak link would break.

Hmm?

Thats pretty decent.:rolleyes: You got money now fix the driveshaft.

For the log what I did was open it in excel or whatever and delete the stuff you don't need then resave it to make it smaller.

Nice results. For logs you can get a google docs account, upload the spreadsheet there, then share it out and post the link. Folks can then go there and look at it and I think download it.

Stock yoke and driveshaft?

Yeah, it has a stock yoke and driveshaft. I'll try to do the Google document thing.

I'm not sure what I want to do. I think I just want to piece it back together and weld it. Then I can run the car on jack stands and weld nuts on each end of the driveshaft to balance it.

Last edited:
I think he's leaving quite a bit on the table. I look forward to seeing him inch forward (hopefully, as opposed to lifting the heads again) raising the bar significantly, not so much for SC's specifically but for the 3.8/4.2 block motor in general. I think the stuff we've been watching others do with their motors has been misleading.

I think its cool Casey raised the bar. I have watched it go higher, it seems every year. Pretty soon my car will be considered old and slow like me;) Now what ever happened to corey:confused::D

Ken

I think he's leaving quite a bit on the table. I look forward to seeing him inch forward (hopefully, as opposed to lifting the heads again) raising the bar significantly, not so much for SC's specifically but for the 3.8/4.2 block motor in general. I think the stuff we've been watching others do with their motors has been misleading.

What has been misleading, please be more specific ?

David

Very kick-azz. Congrats. 11s from that car should be all day long when you find a way of keeping it together. Keith Stone is going to be very angry when I tell him about a turbo car kicking butt on the Internets.

Im in a slum:rolleyes:. I have no tires and my usual track is closed up for good AFAIK. Plus reassembly of my car is still in progress. Casey is putting up some hard to be times and it could have easily went 10's that night.

Back