I can M90 a lot of stuff...

seawalkersee

I put a diesel in my Bronco a few years ago. So, in the spirit of trying to make it more efficient, I tried to get a turbo to fit it. I have a Holset and a Garrett both off of diesels. They are too big or two far offset to work without some sort of modding/cutting the body. I was going to go with a remote mount but decided to pass it since...well...I dunno.

So to start with, I have a few spare M90s lyin around. I had been trying to get it together on the driver's side. But deciding on keeping the AC and then adding hydroboost, I thought it was going to go with the turbo...

So, knowing I am kind of slow in the head, I look and see the alt is the ONLY thing in the pass side. I moved it down and have been adding parts and mounts since. I will have pix soon.

SWS

P.S. Anyone local want to throw me a factory top....

he's putting an M90 where the Alternator used to sit on his diesel Bronco. Needs a factory supercharger top.

Yeah, I was going to update this with pix, but stupidity, phone problems, and rain have caused a work slowdown:rolleyes:. BUT...with the two days I took off for Wed and Thur, I will have 5 off in a row:D. I am sure to get some stuff done.

SWS

Sorry about the delay. I should have had these up a few days ago, but life got in the way again. I forgot my phone one day, it rained a few days, had to go to Chuck-e-Cheeze for one day, and ya know...other stuff tooo:D

So, without further delay...
image0041.jpg

image0042.jpg

image0043.jpg

Sorry this last one is sideways, but I wanted to get more room into the pic.

Comments?

SWS

Does the boost always stay at 7 or so? Does it go faster now with the blower? It doesn't whine that loud all the time does it? Think if I had to hear that all the time it would get annoying. Glad you got a project finished.:)

The phone picks it up worse than it really is. In fact, the road noise is worse than the blower wine. I am going to insulate it to knock down on some of it.

At idle, it has between 2-4 psi depending on how it feels that day:rolleyes: As far as the speed, its not so much the total speed as it is the ability to get to speed from a stop. It runs well for what it is. 6.9 litre IDI from 1986. 21.5:1 comp, custom cam (bottom end pull), ported heads, rebuilt/reringed, 3" exhaust from the "y" back, 3" Magnaflow muffler. I am trying to get in touch with a guy locally to get a ZF5 to improve the overall performance, but that will lower the boost levels probably about a pound when cruising but will be nearly the same when getting to speed.

SWS

On a diesel you have no throttle so yes, it makes boost all the time. You could put a bypass into it that could be throttle or manually activated and that would cut the noise out at cruise. It would also help the system run cooler.

That is why it is set up that way. It does not really get hot to the touch that I could tell. I have not run it full bore and then checked it, but just toolin' around town, you can touch the top when it is done.

I would rather have the on demand power with no lag than worry about the noise. Like I said, the road noise is worse than the blower noise.

SWS

That's pretty cool! Did you have to do anything else to it to run the blower besides build a bracket and bolt it on? Also how did it affect the fuel mileage? I've been looking to try to piece together a diesel tow vehicle for cheap, and wondering if this might be the ticket.

Yeah, I had to get a custom pulley (1.9") with a new belt. Build a top and intake hat/blower inlet and install. I like it. The milage is not the greatest, but I run my special fuel so driving it is cheap when I do it. I am still building things on it (AC and such) so I do not drive it a whole lot. I was gettin 18 with it prior to the rebuild. My best now is like 16, but it is hard to tell.

SWS

On a diesel you have no throttle so yes, it makes boost all the time. You could put a bypass into it that could be throttle or manually activated and that would cut the noise out at cruise. It would also help the system run cooler.

After driving it about 40 minutes today, you are correct. I need to add a bypass valve to it. Not so much for the noise, but for the heat. I could still touch the top, but it was hot. Probably 120* or so. I will check it tomorrow to see what the actual temps of the top are, but I will probably start looking for a stock IC for a bird, have the top modified to run vertical and run the return along the bottom to the driver's side and then back up to the intake. I did not want to run an IC, but oh well. If I am going to run an IC, I will probably run this setup (with a bypass valve if I can figure out how) until this belt is gone, and then will move the blower forward and see if I can add a bit more speed if I can get the bypass valve to function properly.

SWS

So I have been driving this for a while now. When I take it to work, its about 40 mi round trip. Most of my driving is in a 55 mph zone for that. You don't really notice the blower noise while 40ish and under, but when you get to 45+, it gets pretty loud. You can also tell from the performance that the heat is taking its toll on the boost. I am going to try to get a 5 spd to lower the rpms and am going to try to figure out how to put in a bypass valve. More than likely, I will can this and use the turbo I picked up.:rolleyes:

SWS

Back