Engine rebuild advice?

stroker351

I have decided to pull my engine and do a rebuild. I'm a deisel tech by trade so another engine rebuild is no sweat. However, a couple of weeks back I ran across this cool little XR7 and couldn't pass it up. I didn't even know a supercharged Cougar even existed until then. Then, low and behold I come across SCCoA! what a great group of guys! The ultimate place for research and advice.

So lets say I get this little engine out and start taking it apart. What are the areas of concern that I may overlook? Any needed mods that need be done at the machine shop? Where is the best place to order parts? I'm not ready to start adding any major performance upgrades yet, but I want a good solid engine that I can add to later. I will be replacing my exhaust system now, no headers but everything from the manifolds back. Also I want to get rid of the big air cleaner box and do a cold air intake. I'll also add a fan to the stock aftercooler. Am I going to be ok with the stock fuel system with these minor upgrades? Who offers a complete, high quality rebuild kit? What are the best rings to run in this supercharged engine? What is involved to "freshen up" the supercharger? Would new stock replacement motor & tranny mounts be sufficient?

I'll have plenty more questions as this build goes along. Right now I'm gathering as much info as I can to try and get some ball park figures together. Looking forward to this project. Hopefully I can get the engine out and the parts to the machine shop before the weekend.

Personally I'd have the block machined to a 20 RA for MLS head gaskets. Also ARP head studs (believe 2.0 chevys are the best fit/deal).

Make sure the machinist knows #4 journal is supposed to be .010 undersized, in relation to the other journals.

Keep your eye out for some 94/95 SC Rods. They are better than the rods in your motor right now.

E-mail this guy: http://www.sccoa.com/forums/member.php?u=32 and he can probably set you up with most of the parts you need, or tell you where to get the parts.

Engine is internally balanced. Machine work should be:
Clean and pressure check heads.
Clean the block.
Check the bore size to determine if an overbore is necessary. Order the right pistons.
Align hone the mains (supply your fasteners of choice for this), deck the block, bore the block.
Check head flatness and shave if necessary(almost certain it will). Shaved surface needs to be very smooth.
New cam bearings installed.
Rings Sized.
Crank polished.
Entire assembly balanced (they'll need the balancer and flex plate to do this)

If you can get in touch with the guy I liked above, he has rebuilt many, many of these motors, some back to stock, some highly modified. He should be able to answer any question you have and supply the parts you need.

Update: Sorry I haven't posted in a week. Work has been really hectic. Got the engine pulled this past weekend. Sent block, crank, heads, and rods to the machine shop. Engine had spun #6 rod bearing. Got the call today. Crank turned .010, Rods 1-5 fine, ordered new rod for #6. Heads good, getting surfaced and valve job. Bad news is block has 3 cracked cylinders, evidently froze at some point. Now I'm in search of a good block.

Both motor mounts are shot, any recomendations for replacement mounts? Also found oil in supercharger tubing. Where can I find info about checking and rebuiling my supercharger?

Everything else seems to be good. Still a lot of cleanup work to do. Might run across more as things progress. Looking forward to getting this thing all lined out and running right.
Thanks again guys.

you can check with XR7 Dave to see if he might have a good 3.8 block for you. Otherwise an add in the wanted to buy area will usually show something up.

Search on motor mounts, if just a stock rebuild you can find replacements at the auto parts store.

Oil in the supercharger tube is typical. the PCV causes oil laden air to enter the intake tubes and the intercooler condenses the air causing it to drop out into the tubes.

I would get a set of motor mounts form supercoupeperformace.com. I have a set in my sc and my 5.0 bird. I like them a lot better then the stock type fluid filled motor mounts.

Oil in the supercharger tube is typical. the PCV causes oil laden air to enter the intake tubes and the intercooler condenses the air causing it to drop out into the tubes.[/QUOTE]

That's good to know, I was concerned when I saw that. Took the allen plug out and it had oil, but I didn't know if someone has added oil or not. Thanks

Back