My supercoupe pics total rebuild journey

Watch out

You might want to re-think having the spark plugs in while trying to install those headers in tight spaces. I cracked at least 1 possibly 2 of my plugs, just from try to think ahead, but it simply caused a headache in the long run.

It all looks really good though, great work!

Just a FYI,

Regards,
Smitty

spark plugs

Thanks for the heads up. I'll tell my mechanic or maybe he already learned the hard way..hahaha.

what oil?

Hey guys what's a good break in oil to use? Amsoil or royal purple? Or maybe something else ? And what weight? My car will be started Monday so I gotta get some ASAP. Also what oil and weight should I run after the motor breaks in?

it's been awhile

Been kinda busy, but things have been slowly advancing. As u all know a fine gentleman has been doing some magic on a supercharger,plenums, and pulley for me. So no need for me to post duplicate pics of that. So I decided to post a few pics of some other things that are being put on the car.IMAG0442.jpg

IMAG0449.jpg

IMAG0400.jpg

IMAG0451.jpg

IMAG0453.jpg

Hey guys what's a good break in oil to use? Amsoil or royal purple? Or maybe something else ? And what weight? My car will be started Monday so I gotta get some ASAP. Also what oil and weight should I run after the motor breaks in?

When I asked this question I was told to talk to my machine shop. He has recommended a non detergent 30w oil for the first 300.

No synthetic till at least the 5,000 mark.

Has your machine shop told you something different?

Sean

I'm impressed with the progress.

It's always nice and inspriational when someone says they are going to do something and they do.

Yes honey I'll finish that someday. Says while running away.

Wow I didnt know you were going all in. Havent seen this post. ONE THING I need to warn you about is that clutch. I had it and managed to snap two input shafts....I reccomend no powershifting...And if you have wheel hop which you will...I reccomend letting of the gas

Thanks guys I appreciate you joining in on my rebuild. I have a dynotech drive shaft and a rear end brace, and poly IRS bushings. So hopefully that will help control my wheel hop some and strengthen my drive line.

pics

Stopped by the shop today to see any updates on the car. I noticed they managed to connect all the fmic piping without any welding lol.

Last edited:
drive shaft loop

Dave what's the purpose of the drive shaft loop? I plan on some street wars. Maybe a couple track days to see the real quarter mile times. But mostly cruising and a few stop light fights. The car isn't gonna have many horses at the moment, considering only an s ported supercharger( a forum friend has ported), with mp inlet, and 85mm tb, is going on until I get a whipple one day. I wonder if I could beat a 5.7 hemi magnum or challenger with my current mods now? A guy at work constantly bragging on how fast his magnum is. He always calls my car the thunder chicken. I really want him to understand I have a bird.......but it's one of prey!!

Last edited:
Dave what's the purpose of the drive shaft loop? I plan on some street wars. Maybe a couple track days to see the real quarter mile times. But mostly cruising and a few stop light fights. The car isn't gonna have many horses at the moment, considering only an s ported supercharger( a forum friend has ported), with mp inlet, and 85mm tb, is going on until I get a whipple one day.

NHRA tracks require a driveshaft loop if using slicks, DOT or full for any ET. It's mainly intended to keep the front of the drive shaft from falling to the ground if it breaks at or near the ujoint and becoming a pogo stick. It is also intended to keep that same part of the driveshaft from entering the car.

David

NHRA tracks require a driveshaft loop if using slicks, DOT or full for any ET. It's mainly intended to keep the front of the drive shaft from falling to the ground if it breaks at or near the ujoint and becoming a pogo stick. It is also intended to keep that same part of the driveshaft from entering the car.

David

DN

Are you running front and back or just on the frt.

Tks
Paul

DN

Are you running front and back or just on the frt.

Tks
Paul

Paul

Both my cars still have the factory loop and gas tank keeping the back of the driveshaft from going anywhere...so just the front loop is necessary. NHRA does not require a rear driveshaft loop either.

David

it's alive

Well I recently heard my car being started and it's loud because the exhaust isn't on just the headers. They're having problems getting the thing to keep running after u hit the gas. It's running way to lean. But Dalke and my mechanic are in touch and will sort things out soon. I have an video of my car idling i took with my phone, just having trouble posting it.

I dont know all that you have done to your car but it should easy beat a stock early 5.7 charger or 300 c ,they run at about 14.2-4 stock. Stay away from the late model 5.7 6 speeds they will beat you if the guy can drive. It looks like you are doing all the right stuff so far. I live in Antioch up North just wondering where you are having your car built. I would love to see it when its done or in progress for that matter Maybe get a ride in it. I can give you a ride in a 300 5.7 with a few bolt ons and a 100 shot of nitrous for fun if you want. Everytime I see another SC being built I get the urge to get another one. I tell myself I would just leave it alone. I know me I would try and soup up a snowblower. Please let me know if you have time to let me see your car and maybe the three of us could go grab lunch or something. Im retired so all I have to do is play with my car and goof off. its a tough job but someones got to do it.:D

tim

Sure thing Tim. U can come see my car whenever u like, would also love to meet another sc guy. My car is in New Lenox. I'll pm u my number so u can keep in touch.

Back