Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Dam Install, With Pics

Bob Pringle Guest

Air Dam Install, With Pics

The air dam is GM P/N #22635885. It fits the 92-98 Pontiac Grand Am and it costs about $16.50. It's 3 inches high and leaves about 4 inches of ground clearance when installed on my stock height '93 SC.

There are 4 holes in the flange of the air dam; let's call them #1, #2, #3 and #4. Drill a 5/16 hole in the flange midway between #2 hole and #3 hole. Then using a rat-tail file elongate #2 hole about 1/4 inch toward #1 hole and elongate #3 hole about 1/4 inch toward #4 hole. Using 3/4 inch long 1/2-20 screws, washers and Nylock nuts in holes #2, #3 and the new center hole, secure the air dam to the bottom of your front bumper cover using existing holes in the cover. Drill two new holes in the bumper cover coinciding with #1 hole and #4 hole in the air dam. Again using 1/4 inch long 1/2-20 screws, washers and Nylock nuts secure the ends of the air dam to the bumper cover.

Here are the pics:

I'd be glad to supply any additional info that I can. Vern supplied the info about the Pontiac air dam, by the way.

Regards,
    Bob P.

Bob Pringle Guest

Re: Air Dam Install, With Pics

Dang! I used the format:

The pictures are in an album named ThunderCoupe on Webshots.

I'll try making links in this post:

community.webshots.com/storage/1/v3/1/90/7/39919007BHqXMb_ph.jpg

community.webshots.com/storage/1/v3/1/94/72/39919472wIIAoR_ph.jpg

Can anyone educate me on including pictures in posts? If I remember correctly the format on another board I used was:

Would that work here?

Sorry for the confusion!

Regards,
    Bob P.

SeanMatteson Guest

Bob,

Sounds really interesting. I'd love to see those pics. Would you email them to me, please? I wasn't even able to access them via the links. Access was 'prohibited'.

Thanks,

Bob Pringle Guest

Sean,

If you copy the link into the address bar of Explorer, and then add "www." in front of it, it'll work.

I've opened the original post several times, and one of those times the pictures cam through! This internet is a weird and wonderful thing!

Regards,
    Bob P.

Bob Pringle Guest

Here's another trick for viewing the pictures:

Right click on the little box with the red "X" in it and then, in the menu that appears, click on "Properties". A window appears that contains the web address of the picture. Copy that address into the Explorer address bar and press "Enter". Voila! The picture appears.

Regards,
    Bob P.

joenintiesc Guest

Hey Bob, great job! I have the air dams so I'll do the install following your instructions shortly. Actually, I bought two pieces per Vernon's article. Do you have any idea how they should look installed? One behind the other is it? Anyway, that's weird how once you cut and paste the address for the pic, the picture appears in the post when you return to it...

Bob Pringle Guest

Joe,

Yeah, that's wierd, how both pictures appear when you come back to the post.

I did install the second air dam. I trimmed the vertical side to a height of 2 inches, using tin snips. The I cut about 6 inches off each end of the part. Again I drilled a 5/16 inch hole through the mounting flange in between the two remaining holes in the flange, and elongated the other two holes as I had done in the first dam. I mounted this part above the first one with the bumper cover sandwiched in between, this time with the mounting flange facing forward. The vertical side fills the gap between the lower radiator support and the bumper cover.

Hope that helps!

Regards,
    Bob P.

joenintiesc Guest

Thanks Bob, you rule. Can't wait to get hooked up!

GreenBirdLX Guest

If you make a 60 degree angle with the horizontal (or make the angle of the peice itself 120 degrees instead of 90) you will get alot more airflow. Or is it plastic?

blown93 Guest

can't see the pictures

Could somebody post the pictures, I can't get them to work.

Thanks,
    Nick G.

David Neibert Guest

Re: can't see the pictures

Nice work Bob, now that I see how easy it is to install I'll be doing the same thing.

David

Dale Puumala Guest

Anybody know how this install would go on the 94/95 front bumpers? Anyone done it?

Dale

Mike8675309 Guest

Here are fixed links i hosted at my site:

sabre81 Guest

whats it do?

whats it do?

Dale Puumala Guest

Re: whats it do?

It directs more air up to the radiator to provide better cooling for the engine coolant.

Dale