Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: engine temps slowly climb and climb and climb

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Posts
    2,852
    Quote Originally Posted by BLOWN38 View Post
    You can't reverse the wires to make it a puller?
    I know some you can but I'm not sure on this one. I'll check tomorrow
    89 SC 5-speed 1.7 Autorotor twin screw over 425rwhp 12.6's
    95 SC auto mpx powered M90 310rwhp 13.0's
    my email

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NE, AR
    Posts
    1,384
    While reversing the polarity will change the direction of the spin, the pitch of the blades will not make it efficient at all.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Grafton, OHIO
    Posts
    390
    some r made to alow you to reverse the blade on the shaft
    Adam

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    New Albany, IN
    Posts
    3,529
    If it is reversible, you will need to change the polarity and the fan blade direction. Just one or the other won't change the fan type to/from pusher or puller.

    Even after the fan is working as intended, the radiator gaps need closed up as has been mentioned. With those two things, I bet you have a much cooler running car.
    Matt Haub
    Shootouts: 2009 SS Champ | 2010 Mod1 1st Runner-up | 2011 Bracket 2nd Runner-up | 2012 Bracket Champ | 2013 Bracket LOSER
    Black '89 5spd - 270K miles RWHP: 301 RWTQ: 375 Best 1/4mi:13.011, MPH:107.18mph
    Red '93 Auto
    White '89 5spd
    My Garage

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    St. Charles, MO
    Posts
    19,985
    Chris,

    When I was having overheating issues, I switched to this Spal 16" Extreme Duty fan than moves about 30% more air than the MP FMIC supplied Spal 16" fan. It doesn't have a sealed weatherproof motor, but it sure moves a lot of air.

    http://www.spalusa.com/store/main.as...&item=30102113

    David

    PS: My cooling problems ended up being a damaged radiator core, but I kept the extreme duty fan on the car.
    91 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple........10.92 @ 126.70
    93 SC AOD 347 Turbo.................10.04 @ 138.99
    My Garage

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Posts
    2,852
    Quote Originally Posted by David Neibert View Post
    Chris,

    When I was having overheating issues, I switched to this Spal 16" Extreme Duty fan than moves about 30% more air than the MP FMIC supplied Spal 16" fan. It doesn't have a sealed weatherproof motor, but it sure moves a lot of air.

    http://www.spalusa.com/store/main.as...&item=30102113

    David

    PS: My cooling problems ended up being a damaged radiator core, but I kept the extreme duty fan on the car.
    "When reaching the finish line is more important than driving to grandmas house, the Extreme Performance 16-inch fan is what you
    need." -Quote

    Hey, My grandma's still kicking so I gotta be able to visit! What led you to check your radiator core and what kind of rad. did you have at the time? I bought a 16" puller spal today that moves 2360cfm or air, we'll know later tonight how my heating situation is doing.

    chris
    Last edited by mywhite89; 03-20-2012 at 03:19 PM.
    89 SC 5-speed 1.7 Autorotor twin screw over 425rwhp 12.6's
    95 SC auto mpx powered M90 310rwhp 13.0's
    my email

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    St. Charles, MO
    Posts
    19,985
    Quote Originally Posted by mywhite89 View Post
    "When reaching the finish line is more important than driving to grandmas house, the Extreme Performance 16-inch fan is what you
    need." -Quote

    Hey, My grandma's still kicking so I gotta be able to visit! What led you to check your radiator core and what kind of rad. did you have at the time? I bought a 16" puller spal today that moves 2360cfm or air, we'll know later tonight how my heating situation is doing.

    chris
    Chris,

    It was a Griffin that I had on the car since about 2005 and I never could figure out why it was running hot after installing the new motor early in 2010. Finally gave up and trailered the car up to Dave's house and when he had it off the car looking at some shroud revisions, he noticed there was no light coming through the core.

    Apparently I pooched the core when the old 3.8 motor went lean while using nitrous and torched/lifted the heads, and busted all the porcelin out of the spark plugs, ruined some valves ect..ect..doing some test runs just prior to the 2009 shootout. I never thought to check the core because the top tank looked fine.

    David
    91 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple........10.92 @ 126.70
    93 SC AOD 347 Turbo.................10.04 @ 138.99
    My Garage

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Posts
    2,852
    That's crazy never seen that but I know what to look for I guess.

    Well I got the right fan on it. It's 80 degrees out tonight. I can pin the pedal to the floor however long I want till its topped out and I can't get this car to get past the o now. Not that i did that but..... First 90 or 100 degree day will be another test day but as soon as the temp goes to O, the fan kicks on and the temperature never goes higher than that point. On the highway it stays well below the N so that means no fans on the highway which was my main goal. Thanks a lot for the help and it sucks the answer was in front of me the whole time and I never figured it out till now. I will do those other modifications next to the radiator if I ever take the bumper off but I'm happy with everything for now.

    Chris
    89 SC 5-speed 1.7 Autorotor twin screw over 425rwhp 12.6's
    95 SC auto mpx powered M90 310rwhp 13.0's
    my email

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    St. Charles, MO
    Posts
    19,985
    Quote Originally Posted by mywhite89 View Post
    That's crazy never seen that but I know what to look for I guess.

    Well I got the right fan on it. It's 80 degrees out tonight. I can pin the pedal to the floor however long I want till its topped out and I can't get this car to get past the o now. Not that i did that but..... First 90 or 100 degree day will be another test day but as soon as the temp goes to O, the fan kicks on and the temperature never goes higher than that point. On the highway it stays well below the N so that means no fans on the highway which was my main goal. Thanks a lot for the help and it sucks the answer was in front of me the whole time and I never figured it out till now. I will do those other modifications next to the radiator if I ever take the bumper off but I'm happy with everything for now.

    Chris
    If the fan is shutting off, it sounds like it's working correctly now.

    David
    91 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple........10.92 @ 126.70
    93 SC AOD 347 Turbo.................10.04 @ 138.99
    My Garage

  10. #40
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Robinson, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,118
    my 90 tbird automatic the radiator has been bad for about 2 years now its clogged up ive been running without the thermosat and added an extra tranny cooler and added a tranny cooler to the one heater hose it runs cool in the winter and about a quarter on the guage in the summer when i go up pennview mountain it goes up to half on the guage which is fine by me

    ralph

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •