2011 SC Shootout Success - Thanks to all!

XR7 Dave

I'm putting this in the non-tech forum rather than the Shootout forum because this is really for ALL SC enthusiasts, whether you attended the event or not.

First and foremost, this event is the premier SCCOA event which the SCCOA sponsors and supports each and every year. Without the contributions of SCCOA which indirectly is the support of each and every paying member of this club, the SC Shootout would not exist. I can't say a large enough thank you to all the club members and the SCCOA administration for your support for this important event. Having said that, anyone who attends, participates, or benefits in any way from what happens at, or because of the Shootout, should check their membership status today. If you aren't current, please make the nominal contribution to the club and update your status as a way of saying "thank you" and providing validation to this vital aspect of the club.

Thank you, SCCOA.

Next I want to extend the invitation to any and all who have not yet made it a priority to attend at least one Shootout. I assure you that if you ever feel discouraged or somewhat down on your SC, if you feel maybe the time has come to move on or your enthusiasm for the car is starting to fade, then a weekend trip to the SC Shootout might be just the thing you need to re-align your priorities and re-light the flame for the 'Ol SC, even if it means flying out and just watching. The cars are cool, but the people who own them are much cooler and being able to call yourself a part of the SC family is much better than anything the car itself can do. That's a promise you can take to the bank.

That being said, I want to give a huge shout-out to those who worked directly to make things go smoothly and ensure that everyone had a great time.

• Fraser Turner for getting our registration pages functional and easy to navigate. This year's registration went super smooth!
  • David Neibert for arranging sponsors for the event. David invested a lot of time contacting vendors and made sure items were on hand for our participant raffle which is a big part of the financial success of the event.
  • Brian and Jennifer Oatway went way above and beyond in securing and providing our outdoor accommodations and food all day Saturday. The pig roast was a great idea and takes a lot of confidence and knowledge to pull off. Thanks also to Chris, Anthony, Ira, Smitty, and others who helped out with the roast.
  • Without the assistance of willing and capable hands to prepare, serve, and clean up the food, it wouldn't be much use. Thanks go out to Kathy, Dawn, both Jenn's, Sidney, Sally, and everyone else who picked things up, put things out, and put things away. The girls did the grilling, made all the salads on site and ensured everyone got enough hot dogs and snacks all day long. I got there a little late for breakfast but they even saved a couple slices of bacon for me!
  • Thanks to Connie and Rachel for getting our shirts, printing tickets/info for everyone, handling registrations, arranging the raffle, and tallying results for us.
  • Thanks to Phillip and Jeff at Precision for getting us all on (and off) the dyno all day long. It was nice for everyone to meet their commitments for once (!) and not run on late into the night trying to get the dyno sessions complete.
  • And the weekend wouldn't be complete without someone to run sheets from the tower all day long and pair up competitors for eliminations so that I was actually able to race this year. Thank you Andrew and Ed.

Once again, thank you all so much, whether you help organize, lend a helping hand, participate, spectate, or contribute by being a member of SCCOA. You make it happen and you deserve all the credit.

It really is a group effort and exemplifies what is great about the SC community. If you haven't been to one, by all means make plans now. You won't regret one minute of it.

Let me be the first to say, the preceding statement is an understatement...If you even come to one you will understand and if you never do we cannot convey , in words, what it is all about....The cars are some kind of special but the people are several notches above that..........Dan

+2 :D

If you're only loosely hooked on SC's, or maybe not hooked yet - just attend an SC shootout like Dave suggests - you can't help it after that! Even my dad was getting very interested in our cars!

AND...Thanks to you and your family Dave!! Great work everyone!!

I was asking Damon the whole weekend what he though of the shootout. I was unsure what his thoughts were. I do find it different from your conventional multi car car event. But his is the place where all of your SC dreams come true, but the best part is reuniting the same people we talk to on a daily basis, And meeting with new faces that are eager to get back and do work on thir cars after witnessing SC mania. Even when problems plegue a collegue, and seeing them work through it, similarities come to mind when things dont go well with your own car.

Its expensive for me to make the trip but I enjoyed it very much. Being helped and returning the favor is a great set up for for great friendships that will last a long time.

I think Damon was a happy camper. Especially after the tune, he was cooking the tires off the whole way back to the hotel.

You know I wouldnt miss it for the world. Just too many cool people to talk to and hang out with. I didnt have a car to bring nor did Sally but we didnt really care about that part. We just wanted to be around people that we consider friends and have a weekend of fun. Sometimes it can be an even better time without the worries of racing, car show, and working on the car. Just makes everything a bit more laid back.:D

+2 :D

If you're only loosely hooked on SC's, or maybe not hooked yet - just attend an SC shootout like Dave suggests - you can't help it after that! Even my dad was getting very interested in our cars!

That how I drug the hubby in...he was on the fence then we went to last year's shootout:) Now he has his own and will be starting on his very soon.

And this year's shootout has lite a fire under my butt to get my blue bird (LX) running again.:D

It's nice just being around people who appreciate the same things...SC's. SOme many people say id u wanna go fast just get a mustang or blah blah blah. Non SC people just don't understand. We are the odd balls in the car world, don't fit in with the traditional track guys. I am so sick of having to explain why I love my birds...you guys just get it:D Maybe we are just a bunch of odd balls...but I wouldn't have in any other way.

The shootout is SO important for keeping us going...deadlines for projects, otherwise would we make much progress? I know I wouldn't have a painted and mounted hood if it wasn't for the shootout this year.

Mel

You know I wouldnt miss it for the world. Just too many cool people to talk to and hang out with. I didnt have a car to bring nor did Sally but we didnt really care about that part. We just wanted to be around people that we consider friends and have a weekend of fun. Sometimes it can be an even better time without the worries of racing, car show, and working on the car. Just makes everything a bit more laid back.:D

^
Did you update your membership? :eek::cool::D

This was my first shoot out and I have been wanting to go since they started. I finally had the oppertunity to go and meet a lot of awesome people who have the passion for these cars as I do. Everybody really gets along with each other and even when you own an SC, seeing someone else's makes you "geek". I will defenitly be going again next year. Thanks everyone for making it that way!!!

Anthony is right, the first few shootouts I brought my SC and I never got to see the big picture since I was always concerned with my car. The last 4 shootouts I've been without a car, and I can then watch the racing, talk to my friends, help out turning wrenches or mounting wheels, etc... It's still fun and even though I only dropped by for a short time at the end of Sunday (and a little bit friday at the dyno during the afternoon) I still enjoyed seeing old friends.

I am going through a rough time right now but once its all said and done I should end up with the title to my 92 SC again. I signed it over about 6 years ago to someone I trusted, and soon they'll be court ordered to sign it back to me. I still have the car in my garage but I'm not sinking a penny into it until I legally own it again. Then hopefully it'll be at next years shootout.

I guess I should renew my SCCoA membership even though I only come on these forums maybe 2x a year anymore.

I did mine, Last time I did it it never showed up but from what I am reading that is fixed now. Not that it ever really mattered.
Alan

we've got that loving feeling....funny considering a week ago everyone was rippin on each other. But that's part of the fun too.:D

now everyone gather in a cirlce and hold hands....

jk, of course.

BTW I'm still recovering at work from this trip!

On that note I have alot I could say but I'll just break it down

1) The Coordinators

I really have to give my hats off for all those who put this together. I spread myself real thin amongst a few professional organizations here in NYC and it is not easy to put together an event. Allot of time and effort needs to be put in and generally people dont really appreciate that. That sometimes in and of itself makes the whole task daunting at times. Ive never been to a shootout before but it's obvious that for those involved....It was done well and well recieved by all.

2) The Participants

Not that I ever doubted it but I met a bunch of great guys I always wanted to meet. Id list names but for fear of leaving someone out. I even met some great people I never even thought about meeting. There is no doubt to own an SC takes a special type of person and it shines at every SC event I go to be it big or small. Thank you all for making the trip worth while

3) The Event Itself.

Being I didnt plan on racing my car a good portion of what this day weekend was all about I missed out on. From Dyno to Race day. I was also in a 14 hour drive haze so to speak all day Friday. Not one beer did I drink!!! I did however get my car tuned thanks To my son Casey and my step son "The Binks". Cant thank them enough. My car has never felt so strong and it still needs some fine tuning and my meth to be turned on. So Im very thrilled about that

I also got to see some wonderfull SC's in person that Ive never seen at teh show and at teh race. I just wish during race day I could of remembered which cars had which combinations. That was driving me crazy. I could see however how worrying about your cars performance can put a dampner on things

3) Overall comments

I realize much of friday and saturday is all about getting the cars running right for Sunday. I think it would be cool to organize perhaps a dinner meet or cruise for friday night. Something to bring everyone together. Nothing to formal. Just pick a place and go. A few of us went to the steak and lube thingy..Something like that but larger. Each pays their own.

The car show was really just a bunch of people parking in the lot that were drawn to the food, dyno, tuning and whatever else was going on. All I would do there is just kind of have the cars parked in some sort of unofficial classes. At carlisle we have 94-95, 89-90, 91-93....So having at least all the 94-95 parking in one area, 89-93 another, xr7's another, v8's another. Not saying to change awards..Just make looking at cars a lil more organized. And voting 1, 2, 3 is strange. It should just be one vote, one car. Add up votes...most votes 1st, second most 2nd....It was a lil confusing which is why Rico asked. Hes really into showing!

Now I really wish I had more time to stay for all of the racing and enjoy the event more. I'm just lukcy enough to have been able to show up.

I hav emore to say but little time here..Perhaps later..Again thanks all fro making it a great time!

Back