How to write up section

How to section for common modifications and repairs

• yes

Votes: 15 88.2%
  • no

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Also, search...the body of work here is good news, not bad :)

Also, search...the body of work here is good news, not bad :)

My member number is only a few from yours. Last time I checked FAQ stands for frequently asked question. A how to write up has detailed instruction and pictures on how to do things like install headers, rear ends, bleed hydro brakes or do a double din installation for a head unit in a super coupe or xr7. I am going to do a "how to write up" on installing a double din gps nav head unit in my super coupe thats why I suggested a new section to be utilized specifically for things like this. You shouldnt have to look all over the site for stuff like this, I think adding a section like this for day to day things would be very helpful.

Having such a section would have saved me a ton of time in repairing my car. Please add th is feature for us new SC owners.

We need this!!!

I think it is a great idea. Instead of searching all over the place you could go to the "How To" section and find exactly what you need with step by step instructions and pictures. Awesome idea Dave. Keep up the good work!

The reason why I recommend a wiki over just people posting stuff, is because sometimes how you do it, and document it, doesn't mean that's the right way to do it. Nor if you find a different way to do it, should we end up with 4 different fully complete and documented articles.

Thus the idea of a wiki is folks could edit it as they find differences or add additional information that you found helpful but wasn't originally included.

The reason why I recommend a wiki over just people posting stuff, is because sometimes how you do it, and document it, doesn't mean that's the right way to do it. Nor if you find a different way to do it, should we end up with 4 different fully complete and documented articles.

Thus the idea of a wiki is folks could edit it as they find differences or add additional information that you found helpful but wasn't originally included.

How do you even know the antiquated software of this site will support wiki? You can post replies to a stickied post and the author can go in and update the post. I get it though I have an idea to improve the site and you have a better one lol. I dont think it is a good idea to give just anyone the ability to edit or change posts especially stickied how to posts but to each there own.

Personally I would like to see different ways of doing things. Just because one way is easy for you may be difficult for me and vice versa.

I'd like to see this also..

.. If the How To- are in the form of an article (document), it can be locked. It would need to be "groomed". Changes/Updates/Additions could be submitted to the originator and then incorporated and re-submitted to the 'web master' for updating.
maybe a thread of approved "additions, notes etc." that have been submitted and attached by the webmaster.

Yeah, the wiki thing could lead to corruption of the original doc.
Just my .02.
MikeH

as a new owner i think this would be great there are tons of things i just like to read about doing just so i have a grasp of how things need to be done on these cars. while searching is fine most of the time a dedicated section would condense and organize all the pertinant information needed and make things easier for all of us even the old timers cold just hit up the section and take a quick peek as a refresher

Write-ups and wikis are apples and oranges. Honestly we should be doing both! I'd rather read a write-up for specific procedures, testimonials, and that sort of thing. I'd rather run to a wiki for specific details and tidbits of information.

Yeah, the wiki thing could lead to corruption of the original doc.
Just my .02.
MikeH

Wiki's track versions, and only authorized editors are allowed. The problem with running through the originator of the doc is multi fold.
#1 - Originator may only known what they wrote based on their experience. If you know something different, how does the originator determine if it is valid or not?
#2 - Originator may no longer be available. Numerous folks have come and gone over time with the SCCOA.

Wiki's are a proven platform for groups to share information that can evolve over time.

Wiki's track versions, and only authorized editors are allowed. The problem with running through the originator of the doc is multi fold.
#1 - Originator may only known what they wrote based on their experience. If you know something different, how does the originator determine if it is valid or not?
#2 - Originator may no longer be available. Numerous folks have come and gone over time with the SCCOA.

Wiki's are a proven platform for groups to share information that can evolve over time.

Have to say, I don't know all That much about how wiki's operate. Thats why the "authorized add-ons/ additions thread.
I think that properly put together it/they would be valueble tools.
MikeH

Back