How to write up section

How to section for common modifications and repairs

• yes

Votes: 15 88.2%
  • no

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Guys lets get this thing back on track, I havnt asked who wants wiki just about a how to write up section. I know ther has to be more than 15 members that have a voice of wether they want a how to write up section to limit the time searching for simple to custom modifications for our cars on this site.

The problem is, there is absolutely nothing keeping someone from writing up a how to article and having it posted into the FAQ section. There already are some articles like that. So how would a how to section differ from people posting things for the FAQ?

The problem is, there is absolutely nothing keeping someone from writing up a how to article and having it posted into the FAQ section. There already are some articles like that. So how would a how to section differ from people posting things for the FAQ?

I dont get why you are trying to make this more complex than what it is mike! A faq thread is for FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS not an entire documented pictorial thread of somone completing a simple or complex job on one of these cars. Moderators and administrators can move the more detailed threads from the faq section to the how to write up section. My suggestion was only to make the site more user freindly faqs are as out dated and unused as versions of DOS. I am a member on several other forums and they all have how to write up sections, they are far more user freindly than the current system we have on this site. A wiki search has nothing to do with a section for detailed threads on procedures it has to do with searching for things. This is not a debate thread on the best way to do things but I can obviously see that you are the no vote on this poll so you have said your peice and I appreciate all of your input but as I said before this isnt a debate its a yes or no.

I wasn't aware I was making it more complicated. There are at least 16 forums where members can post technical information, including any walk through of repairs they might want to post.

On the face of the original post, there is little merit to adding yet another forum, for members to post only walk throughs. Thus the thought of any discussion is to flesh out what the benefit would be for yet another forum. I looked at what the problem is with the current options, and how you might work around them. The specific issue of things change over time. Part Numbers, preferred methods, and overall approach for various repairs can change over time (for example, rebuilding the 5 speed shifter).

If anything, the idea of people actually taking time to document some of the repairs they do to share it is great, but it doesn't really happen at any large volume. Changing that is the real challenge. For example, we gained a Tuning forum only after a good 12-18 months of tuning specific posting being done, and a number of individuals actively promoting the idea based on that volume.

Its an idea to make searching easier through the hard work and documentation of people who want to help others, I know because I have done several how to tutorials and write ups on different procedures like changing the dash in my 05 f150 and adding a kickstart to an electric start honda trx450r and all of the threads were updated by me as time has gone on and new ideas for making the process easier has surfaced. I guess if your against it your against it, to each there own.

This is a terrific idea IMHO! It seems as if because it's so hard to do most of the stuff on these cars the old-timers feel learning how to maintain is like paying your dues... But I would love to have a DIY thread for all the services necessary to keep these cars on the road.

Back