Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: whipple kit

Quote Originally Posted by neverfastenough View Post
    Just a realistic guess, plan on 2500 for a short block, 2000 more to complete the long block. plan on 300 for injectors, 400 for QH and wide band, 1200 in exhaust. Add on 500 for a big TB and Maf, 2500 for a whipple, and then having someone build it. Then a couple hundred for a tune, then if its an AOD plan to have that built cuz its gonna go poof! Then throw on top of that another grand for stuff I missed, maybe more.

That ends up right around 10 thousand. Most people here have been doing that in steps for years
    Then double it, and you'll almost be in the ballpark.

David
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat...............707HP/650TQ

My Garage

Especially if you count years of m90 tweaking haha. I forgot a grand for FMIC in my last post too, it just keeps adding up, I try not to count. Gotta have fun before those student loans hit, so I play hard and spend lots lol
    Making woosh sounds since 2010!

Man if I was new and listen to all you guys. I would just sell the car
    Give the guy some encourgement i bought lots of used parts and sold old parts to offset my expenses. I know I am ahead of the curve, being a parts fabricator, but bartering and sweat equity can reduce costs.

Ken

93 SC Whipple powered 11.648 @ 119.6
    Twin Turbo, air intercooled..yet to see

I have a pretty good idea of what it cost to build one of these cars. Sourcing out some used parts you will be around 15K~ with a whipple. If you can fabricate then that will be much lower, how much skills do you have? Just parts alone I would guess about 9-10K Thats for drivetrain.

Look in my garage inside the 90" for good Idea of what I spent on that car. Lots of used parts used, although some were visuals. If you have an auto trans you need to build that up and that can get expensive. 2-3k for a stout Auto. I was able to get a 12sec slip out of the 90 with an MPX. With a twinscrew I can bet Ill be at the 15k mark but thats good for low 12s mid to high 11s and maybe 450HP. So thats my experience. That car was built with $$$ in mind, parts were thoughfully calculated. Unlike my 94 where I did everthing 3 times over.
    1994 Supercoupe 5spd Custom, first to buy a 2.1L Big Bore Kenne Bell Twin Screw for an SC
    Old numbers on 1.7l AR SC: 415WHP off the bottle-12.2535 @112.18 off the bottle. Best TQ to date 516ft/lbs, New numbers 480whp on dream crusher.
    1990 35th 5spd 2011 Carlisle 1st place class winner. 12.9@108MPH 1.9
    2013 GT/CS 5.0L FRPP 2.3l Whipplecharged family weekend car
    2005 SAAB 9-3 Aero 2.0L TURBO Work Mule

Quote Originally Posted by kenewagner View Post
    Man if I was new and listen to all you guys. I would just sell the car
    Give the guy some encourgement i bought lots of used parts and sold old parts to offset my expenses. I know I am ahead of the curve, being a parts fabricator, but bartering and sweat equity can reduce costs.

Ken
    Good point Ken...I certainly wouldn't want to discourage somebody from getting into this....these cars are a ton of fun and turn lots of heads at shows and tracks since they definately are not the norm. That of course means that they take a bit more $ and time to build up but we all think it's worth it!!
    Brian Oatway
    '94 SC 2.6KB C4 Auto
    9.956 @ 135.12 mph 1.364 60'
    514rwhp/460rwtq
    "Super Uber Club Member" - per Ira
    SCCoA Member # 705

Based on my experience so far.... Rico is pretty close to dead nuts on the $.

I would consider my parts list very well sourced... a large % of lightly used in the build.

$10,000.00 is realistic in hard costs and I am working with a fabricator.

Paul

Its not to discourage, but if you start on something, then it hits you like and your sitting with a car that now doesnt run, and is useless to try to sell, so it sits and collects dust. When I built my turbo setup, I had a rough guess at what it was going to cost me. I ended up with 1200bux in stuff I forgot to add, hole saws, cut off wheels, AN fittings, hose, fuel rail junk, gaskets, flanges etc. And the day comes where Im just about to start the thing up and guess what, I honestly, ~~~~ you not here, could not afford to buy 6qts of oil and a filter to start it up. It had to sit a week before I came up with the money. Then Im driving it around washing the cylinders down with fuel, not being able to afford fresh oil, or the tune it needed.

To the OP, I hope you get the whipple you want, just be prepared for unexpected expenses, it makes it much less stressful. Like studying for a test, if your prepared to deal with unexpected questions, you're stress free, while the hungover guy next to you is trying to google answers on his cell phone.
    Making woosh sounds since 2010!

Quote Originally Posted by nickleman60 View Post
    XR7 Dave makes or has made AR/Whipple/TVS supercharger kits for our cars, you can get your name on his list but you'll be behind me and a bunch of others on that list.........
    Pretty much this.

Whipple

Yea I'm used to unexpected expenses, nothing can ever go as planned lol. I never considered stroking an engine what's the advantage there? My plan is to have the car completely done in two years or less if $$$$$$ is there. I do plan on buying used parts when I can to help offset some of the cost.