whipple kit

jdubb

This may be a dumb question but does anyone have or can any one fabricte a kit for the whipple superchargers I do not have the time, skills or resourses to tackle this myself. pm me plz im trying to decide which supercharger to put on my sc when I get to the engine build thanks:confused:

XR7 Dave makes or has made AR/Whipple/TVS supercharger kits for our cars, you can get your name on his list but you'll be behind me and a bunch of others on that list.........:rolleyes:

This may be a dumb question but does anyone have or can any one fabricte a kit for the whipple superchargers I do not have the time, skills or resourses to tackle this myself. pm me plz im trying to decide which supercharger to put on my sc when I get to the engine build thanks:confused:

Are you looking to run the 2.3 whipple, top outlet, will you be looking at a raised hood, stock fuel rails, stock TB linkage, what are your finished expectations?

Ken

Im not leaving anything stock that I do not have to, I would like to end up with around 450 hp, and om looking at getting an aftermarket hood one of the mach hoods that scp sells.

Since your looking for 450hp, do you have the supporting fuel system, and be prepared for tuning so a Quarterhorse would be in order too. Your going to need a lot more then just a Whipple kit to get to that horsepower goal, serious heads, matching cam, intercooler, etc. Just tyring to help you get prepared for a real power adder.

whiple kit

Since your looking for 450hp, do you have the supporting fuel system, and be prepared for tuning so a Quarterhorse would be in order too. Your going to need a lot more then just a Whipple kit to get to that horsepower goal, serious heads, matching cam, intercooler, etc. Just tyring to help you get prepared for a real power adder.

Im new to super coupes so I will definatley be using sccoa a lot since i am no expert by an means on these cars so I appriciate any and all help that the members have given me so far. I do understand that horsepower costs a lot of money, Im pretty much tearing down my 89 sc and rebuilding it inside and out. I do have a question a quarterhorse is that a perfomance chip?

Im new to super coupes so I will definatley be using sccoa a lot since i am no expert by an means on these cars so I appriciate any and all help that the members have given me so far. I do understand that horsepower costs a lot of money, Im pretty much tearing down my 89 sc and rebuilding it inside and out. I do have a question a quarterhorse is that a perfomance chip?

Yes, the quarterhorse is a tuning chip

I guess the question is what's a lot of money?? $5k - $25k ??

450hp reliably is going to be pricey.

Your first step is going to be to build a forged bottom end and get a custom ground cam, bigger valved ported heads. You will need all the supporting mods like intercooler injectors bigger pump, chip, etc to support a twin screw. I think I named off 10k if you do it yourself. If its an auto car, you might as well build the transmission, talk to dirtydog on that though. A nice twin screw(not necessarily a whipple) fabricated will set you back another 4k at least. Just to give you a realistic idea if you do a lot yourself probably 15-20k will make you go very fast. Never hurts to just build a very strong bottom end to get you going. My car was down for about 2 years when I first bought it. I took mine from stock to 330rwhp before I ever started it. Takes a lot of money and dicipline to do what you want. I had a room full of cool parts for a while. I think I had close to 10k into it to make 330rwhp. You spend about the same to get that kind of power and have it all prepared for a twin screw and not have a whole lot of overlap in parts I'm sure.

That is what I am working on now. The important thing is, buy all the biggest baddest parts now so you don't have to upgrade later. Injectors, maf, t/b, intercooler.

Last edited:
whipple

My plan is to build a fast car so I will get the best parts that are avalible I only want to do this once. I do not mind paying for quality parts but I dont want to overpay for quality parts either so as my quest for a fast car continues I will be keeping everyone up to date and any info that members can throw my way I will definatley appriciate. I have contacted a couple members about making a kit for the 2.3 whipple and the crankshaft is going to be my next purchase after I get a whipple, Can someone point me in the right direction on where to buy a good forged crankshaft?

My plan is to build a fast car so I will get the best parts that are avalible I only want to do this once. I do not mind paying for quality parts but I dont want to overpay for quality parts either so as my quest for a fast car continues I will be keeping everyone up to date and any info that members can throw my way I will definatley appriciate. I have contacted a couple members about making a kit for the 2.3 whipple and the crankshaft is going to be my next purchase after I get a whipple, Can someone point me in the right direction on where to buy a good forged crankshaft?

I would contact Dave Dalke, he has the pistons and rods you need to strenthen the bottom end. The crank is strong enough. He also has the experence to do the heads. You could also explore stroking the 3.8 as some here have done. It only requires deep pockets.

Ken

Just a realistic guess, plan on 2500 for a short block, 2000 more to complete the long block. plan on 300 for injectors, 400 for QH and wide band, 1200 in exhaust. Add on 500 for a big TB and Maf, 2500 for a whipple, and then having someone build it. Then a couple hundred for a tune, then if its an AOD plan to have that built cuz its gonna go poof! Then throw on top of that another grand for stuff I missed, maybe more.

That ends up right around 10 thousand. Most people here have been doing that in steps for years

Just a realistic guess, plan on 2500 for a short block, 2000 more to complete the long block. plan on 300 for injectors, 400 for QH and wide band, 1200 in exhaust. Add on 500 for a big TB and Maf, 2500 for a whipple, and then having someone build it. Then a couple hundred for a tune, then if its an AOD plan to have that built cuz its gonna go poof! Then throw on top of that another grand for stuff I missed, maybe more.

That ends up right around 10 thousand. Most people here have been doing that in steps for years

Then double it, and you'll almost be in the ballpark.

David

Especially if you count years of m90 tweaking haha. I forgot a grand for FMIC in my last post too, it just keeps adding up, I try not to count. Gotta have fun before those student loans hit, so I play hard and spend lots lol

Man if I was new and listen to all you guys. I would just sell the car:rolleyes:
Give the guy some encourgement;) i bought lots of used parts and sold old parts to offset my expenses. I know I am ahead of the curve, being a parts fabricator, but bartering and sweat equity can reduce costs.

Ken

I have a pretty good idea of what it cost to build one of these cars. Sourcing out some used parts you will be around 15K~ with a whipple. If you can fabricate then that will be much lower, how much skills do you have? Just parts alone I would guess about 9-10K Thats for drivetrain.

Look in my garage inside the 90" for good Idea of what I spent on that car. Lots of used parts used, although some were visuals. If you have an auto trans you need to build that up and that can get expensive. 2-3k for a stout Auto. I was able to get a 12sec slip out of the 90 with an MPX. With a twinscrew I can bet Ill be at the 15k mark but thats good for low 12s mid to high 11s and maybe 450HP. So thats my experience. That car was built with $$$ in mind, parts were thoughfully calculated. Unlike my 94 where I did everthing 3 times over.

Man if I was new and listen to all you guys. I would just sell the car:rolleyes:
Give the guy some encourgement;) i bought lots of used parts and sold old parts to offset my expenses. I know I am ahead of the curve, being a parts fabricator, but bartering and sweat equity can reduce costs.

Ken

Good point Ken...I certainly wouldn't want to discourage somebody from getting into this....these cars are a ton of fun and turn lots of heads at shows and tracks since they definately are not the norm. That of course means that they take a bit more $ and time to build up but we all think it's worth it!!

Back