Mustang SC engine swap underway

Hey I just wanted to see what all is really involved im in the process of fixing to start this swap. All the research ive done has led me to m90 swaps not the whole engine swap could you tell me what all you had to swap out?

Hey I just wanted to see what all is really involved im in the process of fixing to start this swap. All the research ive done has led me to m90 swaps not the whole engine swap could you tell me what all you had to swap out?

The easiest swap is done on the 94-95 3.8L Mustang. You do not have to do a whole engine swap, but it is HIGHLY recommended you use the SC engine as is built for boost and the stock NA engine is not.

I guess I should have said I have a 1997 mustang and a 1992 sc
My main concern is with timing cover and harmonic balancer? Will the ones I have work? Some say yes some say no! If not what the difference in 97 timing cover and 94/95 cover? And what about with harmonic balancer on sc 92 vs 94/95?
Thanks,
Justin

My main concern is with timing cover and harmonic balancer? Will the ones I have work? Some say yes some say no! If not what the difference in 97 timing cover and 94/95 cover? And what about with harmonic balancer on sc 92 vs 94/95?
Thanks,
Justin

I'm not sure about the timing covers but the harmonic balancer/excitor ring are defintely different.

What you will want to do is use all the sensors from your stang. So that would mean you need to use the stang timing cover and a BHJ balancer for the 94-95 SC. And hopefully the crank sensor is the same between the 94-95 SC and the stang.

Last edited:
Thanks,
Justin

The 94/95 timing cover has the proper mounts for the newer crank sensor and allows you to use the SC waterpump. You will need to use a 94/95 SC balancer on the 92 SC engine to have the correct trigger wheel and maintain neutral balance. You could use the 97 timing cover, but you will have to modify hose connections and routes.

Ok thanks I will get a 94/95 timing cover to make easier. On the harmonic balancer I read tht the 97/98 4.2 f150 balancer will work? Reason I ask is because I can actually find these! Lol

Ok thanks I will get a 94/95 timing cover to make easier. On the harmonic balancer I read tht the 97/98 4.2 f150 balancer will work? Reason I ask is because I can actually find these! Lol

Any 94/95 front wheel drive 3.8L timing chain cover from a 3.8L Mustang or 3.8L NA Tbird will work.
The 97/98 4.2 f150 balancer will work, you will have to modify one of the holes on the SC crankshaft pulley, as one of the holes is offset.
You could also upgrade to a BHJ balancer. https://supercoupeperformance.com/partBrowser.aspx?partId=740
Also you may need to find the correct flexplate or flywheel...............

Back