Chapps Red 1990 SC

HappyChappy

Hey there guys. I have purchased a 1990 SC with 102K miles on it and a rebuilt motor and tranny and fuel system about 14K miles ago. Power controls all work, AC and heater are awesome, tires are decent, window motors are slow but work! The receipts show almost $8K of engine and tranny and fuel system work! The supercharger provides great boost(haven't floored it yet because of the balancer issue, don't wanna mess things up!!) and the engine pulls real hard. Suspension was noisy and creaky, but I tackled the project even knowing I'd be replacing a lot of those suspension issues.
The body is in good shape and first issue was the suspension repairs and harmonic balancer. The day after purchase I had the upper and lower arms and all bushings replaced and a lot of items tightened(ie:K member and differential were loose!!) The oil housing has a slight crack and has saturated a lot of bushings and seals with oil, so that is going to be fixed when I choose a harmonic balancer and pulley set I will be repairing the oil leak as well.

The rear seats were thrashed as you can see in pics and so I bought a rear seat cover that I think works well, I'll get the wrinkles out and make it look a little better by removing seats and wrapping the cover around tighter.

The driver seat has a wrecked leather bolster and a rip in the seat but all controls work and then the shotgun seat is in perfect shape! Body and paint are in above average shape and a Maaco paint job will be in the works in a year or so. I have taken a toothbrush and q-Tips to the interior and spent a few hours restoring the interior panels and vents and such with elbow grease and armorall wipes!!
A few beers later, the inside looks A LOT nicer and I have found a few other things that need attention.

Now what I know you all need, the images iPhone pics, nothing great, but more to come!!!
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/ZB4ej/embed"></iframe>
The list of important "boring" fixes/troubleshooting issues needed:
The drivers side seat belt doesn't move from the rear or locked position.
Anti-Lock brake light is on all times

Future "fun" mods:

Exhaust to flowmaster mufflers(it has fresh resonator and cats from having to pass smog, purhcased by previous owner:))
Intake - cold air intake tube for apperance and sound
73 mm MAF and a 70mm Throttle Body
Window tint
Cobra R's or the Speedster look wheels and fresh tires
fresh coat of RED paint

Any ideas or opinions or comments are appreciated. I'm looking forward to the challenges and the descions that I'll have to make to have this fun project again.
My last SC was a white 1990 SC and I did MAF/TB/Raised SC top, Double intercooler, exhaust, rims, sound system, etc. I'll find some pics of that one and add those here soon!!!

THANKS for looking.

John

Last edited:
Little update, progressing nicely...
Pics added to the album, me and my first white SC and my new Red SC. Then the resonator before removal!

-Stock resonator removed yesterday - SOUNDS AWESOME!
-The balancer should be arriving later this week and will be installed right away, probably not doing the underdrive pulley system right away.

-Intake tube and cone filter are arriving this week for installation by the weekend, still trying to score a 73 or 76mm MAF to install with it. Looking forward to the sound of the air getting SUCKED into the blower!

Want to get tint installed soon as well, 35% not the crazy dark stuff like I used to do! Too hard to see at night with the limo or even the 20%.

Been armorall-ing and cleaning little stuff as I find it. Found a few issues with the auto seats so I will be taking that apart and cleaning and hoping that will help it operate smoother.

Hey HappyChappy,

Sounds like you are making good progress bringing her back to her glroy days! :) You are making much much more progress than I am with my SC :p Well hopefully one day soon, we can set-up a meeting and see if any other members might want to join from the LA and OC area or any other area :)

I am not sure why, but I am not able to see any of the pictures. All I can see is a black box with "IMGUR" at the top left corner of it.

Oh maybe you can load up some vidoes on YouTube :cool:

Thanks, and I'm hoping to keep making progress as long as the money keeps up. Ofcourse I had to buy this right as the holidays hit, but whatever, Merry Xmas to myself!
As for the IMGUR, that is the site I have all my photos loaded, it should be a slideshow or preview box showing all my images in the album, but maybe your internet settings are blocking it, like an Adblocker or something isn't letting the images load. I submitted my car to the garage and hopefully the admins approve it and that will then have pics and info.

Yeah, money is always good :p. I checked my settings and tried looking at it from two different computers, but they didn't show me the images. However, I viewed it through a cell phone, and VOILA! I was able to see the pics LOL Well despite having the limited phone screen, your SC looks sweet!!!

Well I don't wanna curse myself, but I am going to try to work on it at least a few hours at a time. Wish me luck :D

Well, my wifey bought me tint for the car. Did 35% all around, looks great!

Just dropped the Bird off at my shop on my way off on vacation. I'm having the balancer and oil housing replaced. Air silencer taken out and then another full diagnostic to see what is next on the list of repairs. The shop guys are good buds and they charge me very little for hourly rates and look over a lot and don't charge for little stuff. Good to have guys you can trust.

Have 4 new pioneer 6x8 speakers and a DUAL stereo face to install when I get back from my Xmas vacation, looking forward to that!

Once the car is back from the shop with a fixed harmonic balancer I will be comfortable flooring it! Can't wait for that! I'm going to race my old car(gave it to my wife) a Jaguar Xtype with the larger 3.0L V6. I think the all wheel drive will give her the launch but then I'll take her by the time I'm through 2nd gear...

I think 35% tint is a really good choice. On previous car's I had 5% and 20%. It was a real nightmare when trying to back-up.

It sounds like you are making lots of good progress with the repairs and upgrades. Don't mind if one day you wake up and your SC is Titanium color, just keep fixing and upgrading it :p

Well hopefully we can set up a meet or track day in Feb. :)

Oh yeah, Happy Holidays and enjoy your vacation.

yeah I always felt like I was guessing that it was clear to back up when I had my limo tint on past cars, even the 20% was pushing it.

I got the 35% on my Jaguar with a little hesitation, but I liked that it obscured the view into the car, and the black look was still evident. But felt much safer driving it.

I just got my sound system all hooked up, so now I'm golden inside. Although I still need to get the drivers side seatbelt motor replaced or fixed...

always something to do......

Are those the factory 2" in/out cats or did he get them larger when they were replaced? I see you already deleted the resonator, so I figured you would know since you had to mate up to them.

I'm assuming the cats are just stock replacements, he had to pass smog before selling to me, he said he replaced resonator too, but when removed it was evident that it was the old stock one.
So I'm not sure about the size or configuration. I know the exhaust place had to make a Y-pipe for the deleted resnator spot.
The sound system sounds great, the install of speakers was basic and I didn't break any door clips! haha.:D

I'm still looking into completing the suspension by adding the lowering springs and shocks/struts. Going to cost me a grand, and I only drive this thing for 15 minutes a day, I live 3 miles from work, so the clicking from the right front strut/shock area doesn't bug me enough to warrant the cost for now. Maybe once the taxes are done....

Some d-bag slashed a tire at my apratment complex, so I got to try out the spare and the jack. The jack needed WD-40 to get it moving, and the spare was pretty flat itself! Good thing my shop is a mile down the road, they threw on a used tire, a used tire that is much better than my other 3!

I'm assuming the cats are just stock replacements, he had to pass smog before selling to me, he said he replaced resonator too, but when removed it was evident that it was the old stock one.
So I'm not sure about the size or configuration. I know the exhaust place had to make a Y-pipe for the deleted resnator spot.

Looking at the picture again, it does appear to be an original style resonator. Maybe he found an exact replacement, or maybe he used the state of CA service that will pay you and help you upgrade/locate parts for your emissions to pass, and they located it for him.

I am considering doing that about my EGR tube on my 90 when it gets here. I have been looking for one for a while, but no one makes one. Most of the used ones I find have the same broken flex pipe. I think I would have to apply for the EGR exemption every year though which could be a pain...

Looking at the picture again, it does appear to be an original style resonator. Maybe he found an exact replacement, or maybe he used the state of CA service that will pay you and help you upgrade/locate parts for your emissions to pass, and they located it for him.

I am considering doing that about my EGR tube on my 90 when it gets here. I have been looking for one for a while, but no one makes one. Most of the used ones I find have the same broken flex pipe. I think I would have to apply for the EGR exemption every year though which could be a pain...

Hey, you don't need the EGR to pass smog. Mine doesn't have it and I passed perfectly!:D

-Fernando

If your car is one of the fortunate years to not have it equipped from the factory as original equipment, then it will pass. Mine came from the factory with an EGR, and the Smog code says it doesn't matter if your car spits out pure oxygen and steam from the exhaust, it will not pass if all the OE emissions equipment is not present and functioning as originally designed. (not exactly in those words...)

Some d-bag slashed a tire at my apratment complex, so I got to try out the spare and the jack. The jack needed WD-40 to get it moving, and the spare was pretty flat itself! Good thing my shop is a mile down the road, they threw on a used tire, a used tire that is much better than my other 3!

ALREADY HATIN' on your SC!!:eek:

-Fernando

If your car is one of the fortunate years to not have it equipped from the factory as original equipment, then it will pass. Mine came from the factory with an EGR, and the Smog code says it doesn't matter if your car spits out pure oxygen and steam from the exhaust, it will not pass if all the OE emissions equipment is not present and functioning as originally designed. (not exactly in those words...)

I did not know that information! I guess you need to find a "cool" smog shop that wont be so picky on checking under the hood.;)

-Fernando

I'm new to this whole smog thing, so I have been reading and stressing about it for the past year or so. I just don't want to have problems when I eventually get my SC here from Virginia.

I was nervous about getting my 2007 Sport Trac and 2003 300M Special smogged when we moved here in 2010. I think this year I will have to get the 300M checked again. Not looking forward to that since depending on which way the wind is blowing, it throws codes.

Yeah, I don't look forward to when I have to get my SC smogged.
Every time I take her in for a smog the guy opens the hood and always asks me where the EGR is at LOL. I just point and tell them that its behing the the pipes of the supercharger LOL.

Welcom to CALI :cool:

Back