no start after new starter

Thomas95SC

Car died at lowes the other day. Wouldnt even try to crank. Battery was charged. Pulled it home and installed new starter. Started right up but when I tried to start it again yesterday, I turned the key and it just made a clank noise. Just one "clank" everytime I bumped the key. It started on the third try. I turned it off to see if it would start up again but it now it just clanks. What gives? 95 auto

What you are describing is commonly caused by a loose connection of the trigger wire on the starter. It's the smaller wire with the spade connection. If that's what it is, you just need to unplug the wire, crimp the female connector with some pliers for a tighter fit and reattach the wire.

David

What you are describing is commonly caused by a loose connection of the trigger wire on the starter. It's the smaller wire with the spade connection. If that's what it is, you just need to unplug the wire, crimp the female connector with some pliers for a tighter fit and reattach the wire.

David

The new starter came with that wire already connected to it and I had to cut off the old connector off and crimp them together. I guess I need check the new wire where it meets the starter and see if its making good contact.

Back