Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 327

Thread: MPX additional porting. MAMMOTH inlet!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    7,333

    MPX additional porting. MAMMOTH inlet!

    Interesting discussion, maybe Dave and Charles can participate in it. This discussion can end sooner then expected or it can be a multipage discussion. Regardless we have not talked about superchargers for a bit.


    I have at my disposal my ported MPX that I used to run on my M112/M90 hybrid. I dont have data, it was merely a bold move on my part to make the kit more effective at lowering temperatures and being more efficient. This same port timing at the inlet is used on the MP Lightning cases, although outlet is different. There is only so much area on the M90 case to compensate for the inlet larger opening. The idea is to not overlap the inlet timing with the exit. Which I made sure I maintaned. Regardless, I want to use this case with M90 rotors and I am curious to know if the MPX porting was really optimized for the size and displacement and if additional porting was simply going to actually decrease efficiency, this was mentioned a while back, but after a conversation with Dave on the matter he hinted that Charles was experimenting with the MPX further, I assume to increase the opening at the inlet and outlet. I never did hear any results from this or if the experiment was shelved.

    To continue the discussion I wonder if additional porting or honing of the inlet will allow this particular MPX to perform better, that with conjunction of the newly developed 95MM TB. I dont have the means to experiment but Id like to hear educated opinions on the matter.

    I also have an old school MPIII at my disposal also that has seen better days, I think the tolerances are no longer tight on them due to a rotor failure but I think its still usable. I am planning on turning it 20%.

    So will I be wasting my time with the ported MPX? Should I just use a beat up MPIII?


    And is it maybe a time for a development of a new inlet for the MPX so that is can use the 95MM to its advantage?







    Last edited by ricardoa1; 12-28-2011 at 10:19 PM.
    1994 Supercoupe 5spd Custom, first to buy a 2.1L Big Bore Kenne Bell Twin Screw for an SC
    Old numbers on 1.7l AR SC: 415WHP off the bottle-12.2535 @112.18 off the bottle. Best TQ to date 516ft/lbs, New numbers 480whp on dream crusher.
    1990 35th 5spd 2011 Carlisle 1st place class winner. 12.9@108MPH 1.9
    2013 GT/CS 5.0L FRPP 2.3l Whipplecharged family weekend car
    2005 SAAB 9-3 Aero 2.0L TURBO Work Mule

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Oakland NJ
    Posts
    244
    wish i had an MPX...so sexy, its just smiling at me!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    butler pa
    Posts
    1,926
    After building my new inlet Plenum last year and saw around a five pound boost increase, it pretty much confirmed what Charles and I thought. No matter what was done to the blower, nothing seemed to help increase power. Doesn't matter if the blower was ported to flow a million cfm, if the inlet Plenum only flows 300 cfm. Then you are only going to make 300 cfm power.

    Everything before the blower has to be thought as if it was a naturally asperated engine. The air is being drawn into the blower just like a NA engine. That is why everyone with an M90 seems to hit that 350 HP level no matter what style port or how much overdrive. After seeing how much mine improved, everyone with a positive displacement blower will benefit from a much larger inlet Plenum. I understand that a street car can not have a Plenum like mine if you still want wipers, but if an SC is a true daily driver, then 350 HP is enough. But for a weekend warrior street car I say screw the wipers and buy rain-X.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bNS...e_gdata_player 10.070 video
    Best ET to date 10.070
    Best MPH to date 130.51
    best 60' to date 1.312
    MPX blower/ NO NITROUS!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    2,925
    a big inlet and wipers are possible granted my inlet is big as yours, I was able to put my wiper motor behind my passanger side shock tower and have a drivers side wiper. I did it and im basically a ritard. I did it very roughly and it works great, so Im sure with some skill it could be good as stock ( for drivers side at least )
    Last edited by Miller; 12-29-2011 at 12:29 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    7,333
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Leitem View Post
    After building my new inlet Plenum last year and saw around a five pound boost increase, it pretty much confirmed what Charles and I thought. No matter what was done to the blower, nothing seemed to help increase power. Doesn't matter if the blower was ported to flow a million cfm, if the inlet Plenum only flows 300 cfm. Then you are only going to make 300 cfm power.

    Everything before the blower has to be thought as if it was a naturally asperated engine. The air is being drawn into the blower just like a NA engine. That is why everyone with an M90 seems to hit that 350 HP level no matter what style port or how much overdrive. After seeing how much mine improved, everyone with a positive displacement blower will benefit from a much larger inlet Plenum. I understand that a street car can not have a Plenum like mine if you still want wipers, but if an SC is a true daily driver, then 350 HP is enough. But for a weekend warrior street car I say screw the wipers and buy rain-X.


    Kevin I have always been an advocate for larger inlet at least on the twinscrews. I just always figured that Charles had optimized his inlets for the available opening on his supercharger ports. But you car seems to prove otherwise. It would be nice to experiment with this already ported blower I have. But I dont fab and I sorta want wiper on this street car. But 350HP is fine but more is always better

    I wonder if Charles has considered a group buy in light of your results, a group buy that to build a new inlet for his already developed MPX, I also like to see results from additional porting like what I have done. If more overdrive with a larger inlet will allow the blower to caviate less then we might see lower outlet temps that will result in cooler more usable air.
    1994 Supercoupe 5spd Custom, first to buy a 2.1L Big Bore Kenne Bell Twin Screw for an SC
    Old numbers on 1.7l AR SC: 415WHP off the bottle-12.2535 @112.18 off the bottle. Best TQ to date 516ft/lbs, New numbers 480whp on dream crusher.
    1990 35th 5spd 2011 Carlisle 1st place class winner. 12.9@108MPH 1.9
    2013 GT/CS 5.0L FRPP 2.3l Whipplecharged family weekend car
    2005 SAAB 9-3 Aero 2.0L TURBO Work Mule

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Jersey Shore, PA
    Posts
    1,865
    Kevin, do you think a larger plenum would be a viable option for a ported (MPII style) 94 blower?????

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,102
    I think the reference that Kevin relates to is the I Manifolds abilily to take in air.

    The blower can push the air if it has a place to send it.

    But, I've been wrong before.

    Paul

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    St. Charles, MO
    Posts
    20,886
    Quote Originally Posted by shoalcracker View Post
    I think the reference that Kevin relates to is the I Manifolds abilily to take in air.

    The blower can push the air if it has a place to send it.

    But, I've been wrong before.

    Paul
    No...he's talking about the supercharger inlet plenum, and everything else in front of the supercharger inlet, like air filter, MAF, TB. Supercharger inlet restrictions, can cost you a lot of power.

    At the same pulley sizes and blower speed, my car gained over 3 pounds of boost just by reducing the inlet restrictions.

    David
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat...............707HP/650TQ

    My Garage

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    butler pa
    Posts
    1,926
    Quote Originally Posted by Hock View Post
    Kevin, do you think a larger plenum would be a viable option for a ported (MPII style) 94 blower?????
    I think it would help with any M90, especially if you are trying to run more than 10% overdrive. On a mild street engine you probably would not see much improvement until the upper rpm band and probably gain some rpm.

    I am only guessing since I have no data for anything but mine right now. Am also guessing that when we all upgraded to a MP inlet and MPII or s model that it was actually the inlet that made the biggest improvement.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bNS...e_gdata_player 10.070 video
    Best ET to date 10.070
    Best MPH to date 130.51
    best 60' to date 1.312
    MPX blower/ NO NITROUS!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Jersey Shore, PA
    Posts
    1,865
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Leitem View Post
    I think it would help with any M90, especially if you are trying to run more than 10% overdrive. On a mild street engine you probably would not see much improvement until the upper rpm band and probably gain some rpm.

    I am only guessing since I have no data for anything but mine right now. Am also guessing that when we all upgraded to a MP inlet and MPII or s model that it was actually the inlet that made the biggest improvement.
    I guess I could have mentioned that I already have a MP inlet on it which could be modified for more volume.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    52

    Larger inlet plenum

    It is cool that this thread started. I just bought an MPX case from ricardo. I am makinking my own inlet plenum. I am using a 110mm throttle body off a 03-04 mustang cobra. I can post pics if anyone wants to see it.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Escondido CA
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by RadBird View Post
    It is cool that this thread started. I just bought an MPX case from ricardo. I am makinking my own inlet plenum. I am using a 110mm throttle body off a 03-04 mustang cobra. I can post pics if anyone wants to see it.
    I would like to see it!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Robinson, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,122
    the pictures look sweet but im thinking the exhaust ports are the biggest restrictor on the sc

    ralph

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    52

    Inlet Plenum

    I will get some pictures up later this afternoon. I am going out to work on it now.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Outside KC MO
    Posts
    5,791
    What are you going to do with the adapter and rotors for the M112?

    SWS

Similar Threads

  1. MPx, MP inlet plenum, AOD, cam, MAF, TB
    By Tedor in forum Want to Buy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-12-2013, 06:41 AM
  2. MPx + Inlet Plenum + Autorotor
    By Tedor in forum Want to Buy
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-29-2012, 01:59 AM
  3. MPX porting
    By kenewagner in forum Technical Forum
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 12-16-2011, 03:35 AM
  4. Porting an MPX.
    By ricardoa1 in forum Technical Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-20-2010, 09:03 AM
  5. hmmm will inlet porting do.....
    By 92sclikenew in forum Non Technical Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-16-2008, 11:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •