MPX additional porting. MAMMOTH inlet!

ricardoa1

Interesting discussion, maybe Dave and Charles can participate in it. This discussion can end sooner then expected or it can be a multipage discussion. Regardless we have not talked about superchargers for a bit.

I have at my disposal my ported MPX that I used to run on my M112/M90 hybrid. I dont have data, it was merely a bold move on my part to make the kit more effective at lowering temperatures and being more efficient. This same port timing at the inlet is used on the MP Lightning cases, although outlet is different. There is only so much area on the M90 case to compensate for the inlet larger opening. The idea is to not overlap the inlet timing with the exit. Which I made sure I maintaned. Regardless, I want to use this case with M90 rotors and I am curious to know if the MPX porting was really optimized for the size and displacement and if additional porting was simply going to actually decrease efficiency, this was mentioned a while back, but after a conversation with Dave on the matter he hinted that Charles was experimenting with the MPX further, I assume to increase the opening at the inlet and outlet. I never did hear any results from this or if the experiment was shelved.

To continue the discussion I wonder if additional porting or honing of the inlet will allow this particular MPX to perform better, that with conjunction of the newly developed 95MM TB. I dont have the means to experiment but Id like to hear educated opinions on the matter.

I also have an old school MPIII at my disposal also that has seen better days, I think the tolerances are no longer tight on them due to a rotor failure but I think its still usable. I am planning on turning it 20%.

So will I be wasting my time with the ported MPX? Should I just use a beat up MPIII?

And is it maybe a time for a development of a new inlet for the MPX so that is can use the 95MM to its advantage?

MPXported006.jpg

MPXported002.jpg

MPXported005.jpg

Durango004.jpg

Durango006.jpg

Last edited:
After building my new inlet Plenum last year and saw around a five pound boost increase, it pretty much confirmed what Charles and I thought. No matter what was done to the blower, nothing seemed to help increase power. Doesn't matter if the blower was ported to flow a million cfm, if the inlet Plenum only flows 300 cfm. Then you are only going to make 300 cfm power.

Everything before the blower has to be thought as if it was a naturally asperated engine. The air is being drawn into the blower just like a NA engine. That is why everyone with an M90 seems to hit that 350 HP level no matter what style port or how much overdrive. After seeing how much mine improved, everyone with a positive displacement blower will benefit from a much larger inlet Plenum. I understand that a street car can not have a Plenum like mine if you still want wipers, but if an SC is a true daily driver, then 350 HP is enough. But for a weekend warrior street car I say screw the wipers and buy rain-X.

a big inlet and wipers are possible ;) granted my inlet is big as yours, I was able to put my wiper motor behind my passanger side shock tower and have a drivers side wiper. I did it and im basically a ritard. I did it very roughly and it works great, so Im sure with some skill it could be good as stock ( for drivers side at least )

Last edited:
After building my new inlet Plenum last year and saw around a five pound boost increase, it pretty much confirmed what Charles and I thought. No matter what was done to the blower, nothing seemed to help increase power. Doesn't matter if the blower was ported to flow a million cfm, if the inlet Plenum only flows 300 cfm. Then you are only going to make 300 cfm power.

Everything before the blower has to be thought as if it was a naturally asperated engine. The air is being drawn into the blower just like a NA engine. That is why everyone with an M90 seems to hit that 350 HP level no matter what style port or how much overdrive. After seeing how much mine improved, everyone with a positive displacement blower will benefit from a much larger inlet Plenum. I understand that a street car can not have a Plenum like mine if you still want wipers, but if an SC is a true daily driver, then 350 HP is enough. But for a weekend warrior street car I say screw the wipers and buy rain-X.

Kevin I have always been an advocate for larger inlet at least on the twinscrews. I just always figured that Charles had optimized his inlets for the available opening on his supercharger ports. But you car seems to prove otherwise. It would be nice to experiment with this already ported blower I have. But I dont fab and I sorta want wiper on this street car. But 350HP is fine but more is always better :)

I wonder if Charles has considered a group buy in light of your results, a group buy that to build a new inlet for his already developed MPX, I also like to see results from additional porting like what I have done. If more overdrive with a larger inlet will allow the blower to caviate less then we might see lower outlet temps that will result in cooler more usable air.

Kevin, do you think a larger plenum would be a viable option for a ported (MPII style) 94 blower?????

I think the reference that Kevin relates to is the I Manifolds abilily to take in air.

The blower can push the air if it has a place to send it.

But, I've been wrong before.

Paul

I think the reference that Kevin relates to is the I Manifolds abilily to take in air.

The blower can push the air if it has a place to send it.

But, I've been wrong before.

Paul

No...he's talking about the supercharger inlet plenum, and everything else in front of the supercharger inlet, like air filter, MAF, TB. Supercharger inlet restrictions, can cost you a lot of power.

At the same pulley sizes and blower speed, my car gained over 3 pounds of boost just by reducing the inlet restrictions.

David

Kevin, do you think a larger plenum would be a viable option for a ported (MPII style) 94 blower?????

I think it would help with any M90, especially if you are trying to run more than 10% overdrive. On a mild street engine you probably would not see much improvement until the upper rpm band and probably gain some rpm.

I am only guessing since I have no data for anything but mine right now. Am also guessing that when we all upgraded to a MP inlet and MPII or s model that it was actually the inlet that made the biggest improvement.

I think it would help with any M90, especially if you are trying to run more than 10% overdrive. On a mild street engine you probably would not see much improvement until the upper rpm band and probably gain some rpm.

I am only guessing since I have no data for anything but mine right now. Am also guessing that when we all upgraded to a MP inlet and MPII or s model that it was actually the inlet that made the biggest improvement.

I guess I could have mentioned that I already have a MP inlet on it which could be modified for more volume.

Larger inlet plenum

It is cool that this thread started. I just bought an MPX case from ricardo. I am makinking my own inlet plenum. I am using a 110mm throttle body off a 03-04 mustang cobra. I can post pics if anyone wants to see it.

It is cool that this thread started. I just bought an MPX case from ricardo. I am makinking my own inlet plenum. I am using a 110mm throttle body off a 03-04 mustang cobra. I can post pics if anyone wants to see it.

I would like to see it!

the pictures look sweet but im thinking the exhaust ports are the biggest restrictor on the sc

ralph

110mm Inlet Plenum

Here it is, not done yet. Ran out of weld rod. :D

Attachments

• 4-3AD5DF64-1022030-800.jpg
    4-3AD5DF64-1022030-800.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 451
  • 2-4EA6EE55-1759280-800.jpg
    2-4EA6EE55-1759280-800.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 404
Thats neat. Do they calculate the 110mm based on area of the twin blades? Or the mouth opening? I am curious how twin blade tb's are advertised.

I have measured the openings and both are 55mm.

You do understand that a dual 55mm TB has less area than a single 85mm TB :confused:

55mm= 2375 sq mm x 2 = 4750 sq mm

85mm= 5674 sq mm

So what you have contructed will flow less than an 85mm TB with an MP inlet plenum. Plenum volume is also much smaller with the dual pipe design you are using.

David

Back