I think I need another career

Ryan A Harris

I am so pissed off right now at working for other people.:mad: I find out when I punch in for my shift Friday Jan 5 2012, that I HAVE to work until 6am. Friday's midnight shift usaully ends at 1am. We work 6pm-6am Mon-thurs. I am told that if I don't work those time,s I can come in on Saturday for some hours. Why is it so hard for "managment" to get thiers heads on straight. This is not the 1st place this has happened, and I'm sure this won'y be my last of BS like this.

I need to be at home with my kids, and my wife. I work 55-58 hours pretty much every week, have been since about Oct, and that has all been on this midnight shift.

I just want a day shift, "normal" job. Why did I choose this as my career. In high school when I made this choice to be a machinst, EVERYONE lied to me, about the money you can earn, the hours, being part of a team, all that crap.

Anyway, as you can see, I'm pissed off right now. My whole weekend is shot to $h1t now, becuase of this.

Anyone want to start up a business with me? I'll do anything at this point.

Hours

See how flexible they are with hours that will work for you. Maybe start your shifts on Sunday night till Thursday night so you finish on Friday morning. This way you can sleep a bit on Friday say till 1 or so then make the switch to days lifestyle for the weekends.

I used to work nights for about 3.5 years and it sucks the big one, but if you can work out times that you would like to work instead it might be better.

Schools always tell you that there is money to be made but it is often a misleading stat, all the schools want is your money.

shouldn't ever complain about work because one day it wont be there and you will be remembering the good old days man. with things the way they are now you should just punch in and smile and start stashing it for wen its slow.. I think I remember when you were out of work for a bit and you were hunting this job down not to long ago right ?

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120243&highlight=job

I have never been jobless during my adult life. I have always found other places to work while employed. As it turns out, I never even started at that plave in that thread you pulled up. I ended up at this current shop. They REALLY wanted a guy like me, but again, I'm finding now, all lies. Don't get me wrong, I am taking the OT as much as I can, but really finding the day you punch in, that you have to work until 6am. :confused:

Ryan, every job has it's good and bad, it's ups and it's downs. Having been on both sides of the fence, going into business for yourself you may find that the boss who pushes you the hardest and asks for the most will be yourself.

Ryan,

You are a pretty smart dude and you've got skills. I'd encourage you to pick up a copy of the 4 Hour work week by Tim Ferris and read it. If you could start producing and designing parts you could certainly start to make some side coin. Just need to be employed by a easy going machine shop.

Ryan, I feel for you. Last year I was in the same boat with my employer. I can't describe how much joy I got handing in two weeks notice at the Thanksgiving eve.
3 weeks later they started calling me and asking to come back.
The moral of my story is :"you dont know what you got till it's gone"

They offered you the option of working some hrs on Saturday. And if you don't like that then vote with your feet. It's not like you don't have a choice.

I understand your frustration but wow. If you're not happy find another job. That's just what I did at my previous employer. They pissed me off to no end. (Deliberately, I believe.) Because when someone leaves voluntarily it looks better on the books. Anyway, I dusted off my res. sent it out and wow, the phone rang off the hook. I'd have to agree with Payton here, find another job and just watch them counter-offer, beg you to stay, or beg you to come back. Even if they don't you should be happier somewhere else (if you choose carefully).

I certainly am much happier at my new job - going on three years now. Changing to my current employer was the best move I ever made for my career and I wish I'd have done it years sooner than I did.

Last edited:
If you think you're in a bad place.....

talk to some military members. I'm a retired submariner. You have 6+ month deployments, unscheduled underways, your "day" is based on an 18 hour clock when underway. When in port, you're on a 3-4 Duty rotation-where you are on board for 24 hrs+. It's hell on families.
I retired in '03 and have been working 'down the river' from my my last duty station at a private shipyard where we actually build submarines.
I am union ---only because it's manditory. But, they have to ask me if I want to work OT, or stay late, or work the 12 shift. Very rarely (usually due to something serious going wrong) and everyone stays.
I have had my shift changed (without my request). I have worked with some real A-Holes and I work with some really great folks. Most of my department are former servicemen, most of those are retired submariners like myself. (It helped me get the job that I wanted because I new what was required of the 'boat' once it went into service.
I have been at this job going on 9 years. I 'enjoy' the life I have now, because there is less stress. I go home every night and sleep in my own bed. I 'volunteer' to go to sea for trials (usually because my Dept. Chief trusts me to actually do my job well, and asks me instead of sending someone else).
I consider myself very lucky, I've never been layed off or fired since I started my Adult work phase. In this econemy, be careful what you ask for.
But, try to make the best of it. It's not always fun. Best wishes and good luck.
MikeH

I totally feel you on this. The people in charge made bad business discisions and lost a ton of money. Now, the peons on the bottom (ya know...ME) have to pay for their mistakes. So, they have forced us off on holidays. Not really all that bad BUT, then they give us the two week notice to pick and choose which one they want us to work.

It drives me kind of crazy and was not like this 5 years ago when I came here. It was like that at the place where I used to work...Now, the guy in charge there is gone and I am stuck with someone JUST like the guy I left (They came from the same place). I tried to warn them but no one listens to a new guy.

SWS

Having gone through 3 jobs in the last year and now making half what I was in 2009 I agree with Fraser. I would have killed for hours.

Regards

Sean

When I was 16 I worked a ton of hours, and used to go into the bosses office complainging that Im living paycheck to paycheck and and demanding more money. ( I lived at home with no bills ) . I am 25, and still don't make as much as I did at that time, except now there are alot of hands out on the 1st. :rolleyes:

Whenever I got a bad attitude in my head towards my job it was over for me, I could never shake it. Don't let it get the best of yah man, your lucky to be workin like an animal your family should be proud that your the mannnnnnnnnnnn

Ryan;
I feel for you. when I worked in air ambulance maintenance I worked the kind of hours that you have. My biggest complaint was that I didn't have predictable time off. That would be even more of an issue with two small children. I have always heard the saying 'You have to have a job to find a job'. If you aren't happy, start looking. The look on your employers face when you tell him you are leaving - priceless.
Remember that the one who looks out for you and your family is you. If as you say it is affecting your family life, move on.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Alan

Ok, so its been over a month of the bad taste in mouth from that issue. Let me just say, I HATE THIS PLACE. The job search has started, well it could be a career change. I have realized that in the manufacturing trades, this crap will not end. I need to last until April, for my $$$ situation to be ok.

Any suggestions from the guys who know me as to what I may be good at? Anyone know of job openings that there places employment.

I have never been this confused as to what to do next, never. Its been so long since I was looking into careers I don't even know how to start.

Here's to not knowing what lies around the corner......:rolleyes:

Ryan,
Not sure what you are looking for. Log on to cpr.ca select Careers at the top and you will see search for openings. They just posted an opeing in the Toronto area for Conductor trainees. Also I know in the future there will be openings in the diesel shop for mechanics and apprentices I can watch for you. shoot me a pm if you have any questions.
13 years for me, been great.

Drew

http://www.forces.ca/en/home/

I understand you're a machinist with a ticket.
13 weeks of recruit school.
Then $4.5K per month with regular incentives each year and through promotion.
25 year contract with a fully indexed pension and immediate annuity.
5 weeks paid vacation every year.
Unlimited paid education benefits.
Free uniforms, safety gear and the best trade equipment available.
Completely free medical and dental for you.
Comprehensive dental and medical package for your family.

I joined at 20, retired with an immediate annuity at 47.
I draw $3K per month until I'm dead. Then my wife gets half of that until she's dead.
My wife is still serving so her pension will be somewhat higher and I get half if she gets dead before me.
Just cashed my 62nd pension cheque last month. I'm 53 next month.

You won't be posted to Toronto.
Anywhere from Victoria to St John.
And you get to play with really big guns and other cool stuff.

My boy joined 3 years ago.
He and his girl, also a member, bought their first house last fall.
They're 23 now.
They roll in 6 figures per annum as a team.

Absolutely no obligation in talking to a recruiter.
Make an appointment and have a chat.
They will NOT BS you.
Might even be attractive for Kendra.
Does she have a skill set?

I'm here to advise and assist if needed.

Bruce

Last edited:
Back