Air dam for 93 SC

The couple pics I saw on google showed some clips and a couple studs for attachment, can you post some pics of the back side?

The couple pics I saw on google showed some clips and a couple studs for attachment, can you post some pics of the back side?

Yes, I'll post the pictures when I get home from work. I plan to cut off the clips and studs to make the mounting surface smooth, then drill holes for securing with pop rivots. Still looking for something to use as a spacer, like some black rubber weather stripping. I could also use some washers for spacers and fill the gap with black RTV like you would do when caulking around a window frame. But that might not look too good.

David

I think some dense foam rubber would be your best bet for a seal and looks.

I've got some of that stuff, but I'm thinking it will come out wavy looking after installing the pop rivots. BTW, does anyone know the hieght of the ridge on the center of an early model hood ? Just eyeballing it it looks like about 3/16"

David

Last edited:
What about using button head allen screws or a flange button head allen screw and nuts on the backside. You easily paint them flat black ahead of time, or later with a touch up brush.

You could probably attach it with the good thin 3m tape. It would make it stick up like .040 but if you did a nice bath tub style caulk job with some black rtv, it should look fine. I agree that the rivets will make it wavy, maybe even crack it.

You could probably attach it with the good thin 3m tape. It would make it stick up like .040 but if you did a nice bath tub style caulk job with some black rtv, it should look fine. I agree that the rivets will make it wavy, maybe even crack it.

We use 3M VHB tape to assemble parts at work.

3M VHB tape is available as thin as .015" thick. McMaster Carr stocks small rolls or RS Hughes is another stocking dealer.

The stuff sticks well, but surface prep is real important. It also takes 1-2 days to achieve full bond strength. I have destroyed parts trying to separate the tape.

Structural Urethane adhesives will work too.

The advantage of VHB tape over adhesive is, if you ever want to remove the tape it can be dissolved with acetone (careful if the part is plastic it may melt) or cut with a very thin sharp knife. With adhesive it will be much more difficult to remove.

David,

If your funding is unlimited I'd take a serious look at designing a better intercooler that does not interfere with the radiator as much. http://www.bellintercoolers.com/

I've priced out some liquid/air solutions that would fit in the factory IC position and have nearly the same depth as a double IC for approximately $1000~. The idea being that it would free up air flow into the radiator and increase engine bay space. The radiator for it can easily be mounted else where and the liquid tank could go into a position similar to the 94+ Thunderbird coolant overflow tanks.

David,

If your funding is unlimited I'd take a serious look at designing a better intercooler that does not interfere with the radiator as much. http://www.bellintercoolers.com/

I've priced out some liquid/air solutions that would fit in the factory IC position and have nearly the same depth as a double IC for approximately $1000~. The idea being that it would free up air flow into the radiator and increase engine bay space. The radiator for it can easily be mounted else where and the liquid tank could go into a position similar to the 94+ Thunderbird coolant overflow tanks.

Unfortunately, my funding is not without limits. If that were the case I'd already have myself a 2013 GT500 on order.

I'm not really interested in changing the intercooler on this car, because it's doing a great job of cooling the intake charge...and I'm not 100% convinced that the intercooler thickness and placement are the main problem. Ive got the MP FMIC blocking the radiator on my 91 and that thing runs so cool, I can't get coolant temps out of the 170s in the winter.

This hood vent is easy to do and if it works that will be great, if it doesn't I'm only out about $90 and a few hours of my time.

David

PS: If anything gets a revised intercooler it will be my 91 SC.

Here are some pics

Attachments

• IM004138.JPG
    IM004138.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 151
  • IM004139.JPG
    IM004139.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 2,040
  • IM004140.JPG
    IM004140.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 411
  • IM004141.JPG
    IM004141.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 291
  • IM004142.JPG
    IM004142.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 390
A few more

Attachments

• IM004143.JPG
    IM004143.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 155
  • IM004144.JPG
    IM004144.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 152
  • IM004145.JPG
    IM004145.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 154
  • IM004147.JPG
    IM004147.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 405
Could you cut the ends off and mount them separate? Or just mount the center? Looks like the center would fit perfect on the raised part of the hood.

change

maybe its a good time to bust out and upgrade to the late model 96/97 hood and front end no ridges... ???

What does the length of the vent measure? There are some pics of vents in this thread that have been cut down or just using the center section. http://forums.corral.net/forums/road-racing-auto-x/622922-functional-hood-vents-3.html

Cutting off the ends and just using the center section like this guy did would make it a whole lot easier. At full length I'm going to have to cut into the hood bracing too.

20100808194450.jpg

20100808194504.jpg

20100815150336.jpg

I think that from a distance the vent looks a lot better when cutting out the center section like this guy did, but up close it's not so nice.

GT500hoodventclose.jpg

GT500hoodventunder.jpg

NASAFIRW8-10.jpg

Which one do you guys think would look better ?

David

Cutting off the ends and just using the center section like this guy did would make it a whole lot easier. At full length I'm going to have to cut into the hood bracing too.

20100808194450.jpg

20100808194504.jpg

20100815150336.jpg

I think that from a distance the vent looks a lot better when cutting out the center section like this guy did, but up close it's not so nice.

GT500hoodventclose.jpg

GT500hoodventunder.jpg

NASAFIRW8-10.jpg

Which one do you guys think would look better ?

David

I vote for the one like the mustang has

I vote for the one like the mustang has

I would cut the center section and fill the gap with fiberglass, send it all down and give it a coat or two of paint. This way it would look much better and you wont have issues fitting it

Nevermind...There isn't enough room to cut material out of the center and still stay on top of the ridge in the hood like this. The entire center would have to be eliminated and since the plastic support structurs are slightly angled there isn't a good way to fuse the two halves cleanly.

2009_07_Extractor_scoop_03.jpg

Cutting both ends off and only using the center section barely fits on top of the ridge leaving only about 1/4" of the hood remaning on each side. Pretty much decided that is the best option. I'd like a bigger area for more airflow, but this may be enough. I think it will end up looking better on my car than it did on this red mustang hood with the much wider hood ridge.

20100822182303.jpg

If this doesn't work I could always do something a little more hardcore like this guy did.

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

David

PS: Stan, big thanks for the linK, it's packed with lots of good info and ideas.

Back