Air dam for 93 SC

I think mine will end up looking more like this.

38219944054_large.jpg

38219944052_large.jpg

David

Took the plunge and rough cut the hood vent with my dremel , leaving a little extra material to clean up with a belt sander at work. I also did some under the hood clearance checking with aluminum foil and it looks like I'll have enough clearance to locate the vent where I wanted to. I'm also planning to use the vent's plastic mounting channel and retaining stud, so there won't be any rivots or screws showing. Should have the hood cut and vent installed by sometime next week.

David

Attachments

• IM004158.JPG
    IM004158.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IM004159.JPG
    IM004159.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IM004162.JPG
    IM004162.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IM004163.JPG
    IM004163.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 1,532
Last edited:
You seem to be mounting it back alot further than the locations shown on this thread of other cars.

I know it looks like it's too far back, but it's located just above the coil by the front of the motor. I would have went about 2" further towards the front of the car, but the radiator hose would interfere and require a lot of modification to gain the clearance without getting into the accesory belt.

These pictures show the vent location relative to the motor and radiator...just not centered because my fuel pressure test port is in the way and will be removed prior to installing the vent.

David

Attachments

• IM004164.JPG
    IM004164.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 117
  • IM004165.JPG
    IM004165.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 1,578
  • IM004166.JPG
    IM004166.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 108
I'm also planning to use the vent's plastic mounting channel and retaining stud, so there won't be any rivots or screws showing.

I was hoping you'd go that route (cutting the vent down to avoid using a spacer and not using rivets to secure it). That is going to look clean and functional. I dig it.

Finally got around to cutting that hole in the hood and installing the heat extractor vent. I think it turned out pretty nice. Took it for a 10 mile drive and beat on it pretty hard but coolant temp never went higher than 180. When I pulled back into my driveway and held my hand over the vent with the car idling, I was a little dissapointed at how little hot air was coming out.

Then I opened the hood and found that the fan wasn't even running which is very unusual because I've got it set to come on at the lowest temp possible. Since it's only 46 degrees outside, I expected it to run cool...just didn't expect it to run cool enough that the fan would shut off.

Here some pics of the finished product.

David

Attachments

• IM004168.JPG
    IM004168.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 1,607
  • IM004170.JPG
    IM004170.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,559
  • IM004173.JPG
    IM004173.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 2,774
  • IM004175.JPG
    IM004175.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 1,537
  • IM004176.JPG
    IM004176.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 1,645
Finally got around to cutting that hole in the hood and installing the heat extractor vent. I think it turned out pretty nice. Took it for a 10 mile drive and beat on it pretty hard but coolant temp never went higher than 180. When I pulled back into my driveway and held my hand over the vent with the car idling, I was a little dissapointed at how little hot air was coming out.

Then I opened the hood and found that the fan wasn't even running which is very unusual because I've got it set to come on at the lowest temp possible. Since it's only 46 degrees outside, I expected it to run cool...just didn't expect it to run cool enough that the fan would shut off.

Here some pics of the finished product.

David

With the early hood, it looks like it belongs there.

David,

What did the ends you cut off look like? would you be able to make the cuts so that the end pcs would also be useable? I was thinking three pcs, as you have done in the center, then an end piece on the outside of the ridges on each side (lower sections of hood) in line with the center piece. I think I would like the wider look, with something like DRfishbones lower dam. I'm guessing you havent been able to test or play enough to see how much it has helped?

Adam

David,

What did the ends you cut off look like? would you be able to make the cuts so that the end pcs would also be useable? I was thinking three pcs, as you have done in the center, then an end piece on the outside of the ridges on each side (lower sections of hood) in line with the center piece. I think I would like the wider look, with something like DRfishbones lower dam. I'm guessing you havent been able to test or play enough to see how much it has helped?

Adam

Adam,

No way to cut the ends off and still have enough material left over on the end portions to have a lip remaining where the cut was made, to cover the hole in the hood. I understand what you are suggesting, but I think doing that would look a little wanky and it would fall smack dab in the middle of the hood support structure. You would also have to use rivots or adhesive to hold it in place, and I'm trying to avoid that.

I actually drove the car to work today because it's supposed to get up to 74 degrees and I wanted to see if it was still able to maintain 180-185 degrees it's been running at since installing the vent. I'll find out this afternoon.

David

I figured as much with the lip/edge. Basically you would have to use 2 extractors, one cut up for center, the other cut up for the ends. All the clips are also in the center section then. I wasn't sure how the look would come out, but I don't think I am willing to spend 180+ to find out:p It looked like you had to cut a bit of the support out even for the center (nevermind I looked over the pics again and saw the structure you removed was further back for your intake elbow), I got a rough hood that I would not feel too bad about cutting up, if it seemed strong enough cutting a little more wouldn't bother me.

Adam

Last edited:
David, I am sure this will help your problem. If you decide to try something else, I have a perfect 93 hood here you can have. It has been hanging from the ceiling for 10 years. Just come load it up.

David, I am sure this will help your problem. If you decide to try something else, I have a perfect 93 hood here you can have. It has been hanging from the ceiling for 10 years. Just come load it up.

Bruce,

The heat extractor vent seems to be helping, but I'm not sure it's going to be enough to get it running as cool as I would like. Thinking about ordering this electric water pump for more coolant circulation at low rpms.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MEZ-WP374S/

Thanks for the offer on the hood, but if I switch I will be going to a fiberglass Cobra R or Cowl type hood that I can modify to accept a larger heat extractor vent.

David

Finally got the new electric water pump, but just haven't been very motivated to install it because it didn't arrive until the middle of summer and it was just too hot to mess with it. Now that's it's cooled down and the Shootout is over I'll get it installed, but probably won't know if it helps with cooling until next summer.

Drove the car to work today and it runs right at 180 degrees and fan cycles on and off because outside temp was only in the high 40s or low 50s. Oh yeah...it's still scary and the car just destroys the tires at pretty much any speed if you aren't real gentle with the throttle. Lots of fun :D

David

Last edited:
Drove the car to work today ............. Oh yeah...it's still scary and the car just destroys the tires at pretty much any speed if you aren't real gentle with the throttle. Lots of fun :D

David

You suk. Now I say that with much love and even more envy but it doesn't change the fact that you suk :D

You suk. Now I say that with much love and even more envy but it doesn't change the fact that you suk :D

Ira,

I'm still reeling from the Beat Down you gave me in the 2007 Shootout dyno competition. I was feeling pretty good about redeming myself last year with 726 rwhp in the v8 class, until Casey opened a can a whopp-azz on me with the v6 Tank and pulled 805 rwhp :mad: Then I find out later we actually had a bet going, and I owe him a steak dinner :eek:

So this year I think I've finally got my car in good enough shape to get the coveted Highest HP supercharged V6 trophy by topping your 2007 numbers and pulling 481 rwhp and more importantly, putting that beating you delivered in 2007 behind me. Just when I think I've got it won, this Canadian dude who drove halfway across North America, comes out of left feild and delivers yet another dyno Beat Down by pulling 504 rwhp :rolleyes:

So it's actually you guys fault, that I have to keep stepping it up every couple years :D

David

Back