my new go fast goodies

Just want to be sure I am understanding this ...

What is the motivation for switching to an odd-fire crank?

Is it just to allow for more overlap between crank journals and, therefore, a stronger crank?

Or is it to make the machining easier if you get a custom crank?

Or something else?

It just basically makes for a much stronger crank, since the rod journals are shared like a typical V8. Many say you make more power because of the 150 90 degree firing instead of the even 120 120 degree.

My next question would be....WHY NOT GO 4.5 odd fire motor? Be cheaper and much better being everything at this point is custom anyway.

Read my previous reasons please. If they were still being made then yes I would go that route, I am not putting a ton of money in an engine that when i hurt a block, or a head then everything might be junk because I can not find a replacement. I don't want to have to make a million calls or pay an arm or a leg to persuade that person to sell if i do find one. Deal with the down time while waiting to find one and deal with the shipping. All I need to do is call the junk yard and pay a couple hundred bucks. Even if i break a crank on the svo I would still have a custom billet made for the same price as mine. And I will break parts, no matter what engine I use it will break. Break parts or break records, if you don't do either one you are not trying hard enough. Engine failures is a part of racing, it will happen. All it takes is a broken rocker, valve head snapping off and you got junk, no matter what engine it is. a billet crank can be hurt pretty severely and be fixed

Last edited:
David, first off I am not looking down on anybody that pays to have everything get done.that would put alot of people out of business. All i was stating was that the money I save can be put towards other parts. I could not afford to do what I am doing and pay to have it all done. I am sorry if I came off offensive to you about that, was not the intention.

I do get bent out of shape when every time I do something different and people give me grief about doing it. I got grief when I went c4, when I went solid axle, when I refused to go to a twin screw, when I asked about the mustang block. I got grief about using an 8.8 instead of a 9 inch when I did go solid axle. I was pretty much banned from the shootout because of the solid rear.

There are a ton of better engines better than the SVO, should I just go with that? I think its fun and cool to see how far the 3.8 production engine can go. The svo is not even an option that I am willing to go with for reasons previously stated. I feel that I am going to have an engine just as strong.

See you get upset when i say I don't like overpoweed street cars, now how would you feel if I said that every time you made a change? Just because I don't like them and don't want one gives me no right to tell you not to make changes to yours.

So I will have fun playing with this little engine for a while and then I will end up building a big V8 with twice the power.

I

Kevin,

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it the way you have planned, I was just thinking out loud that with all you are investing in this project it's a shame that you will still be stuck with heads that aren't going to flow anywhere near what a motor of this caliber would normally use. The 4.5 was the only Ford v6 motor I could think of that would solve the cylinder head problem, but I understand why you don't want to go that route.

Since you aren't going to have any coolant passages, I suppose it would be possible to machine a set of heads from billet stock that would have a thicker deck and better flow, so you won't be totally locked into the stock casting split ports. But if doing that you would probably end up doing a single port for ease of machining, and then the kick azz sheet metal intake your having made wouldn't be compatible.

I'm sure you've already considered all this stuff and many more things when planning this build, and you know a lot more about this stuff than I do. I really do think this is a cool project and I'm certian it will be a very strong running combo, just having some doubts about the heads.

Looking forward to seeing plenty of pictures and witnessing what you can do with this motor.

David

PS: I don't get offended when you tell me what stuff you think my car needs or doesn't need...but I do get a little offended when you imply that all I do is write checks for my cars. The truth is, I'm very involved in every aspect of every mod and 99% of the time whatever is done to the car is done exactly the way I asked (right or wrong). I also do a great deal of the wrenching myself, especially when it comes to fixing the stuff I break. That said, I have No Hard Feelings towards you and wish you the best of luck.

Last edited:
Kevin,

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it the way you have planned, I was just thinking out loud that with all you are investing in this project it's a shame that you will still be stuck with heads that aren't going to flow anywhere near what a motor of this caliber would normally use. The 4.5 was the only Ford v6 motor I could think of that would solve the cylinder head problem, but I understand why you don't want to go that route.

Since you aren't going to have any coolant passages, I suppose it would be possible to machine a set of heads from billet stock that would have a thicker deck and better flow, so you won't be totally locked into the stock casting split ports. But if doing that you would probably end up doing a single port for ease of machining, and then the kick azz sheet metal intake your having made wouldn't be compatible.

I'm sure you've already considered all this stuff and many more things when planning this build, and you know a lot more about this stuff than I do. I really do think this is a cool project and I'm certian it will be a very strong running combo, just having some doubts about the heads.

Looking forward to seeing plenty of pictures and witnessing what you can do with this motor.

David

PS: I don't get offended when you tell me what stuff you think my car needs or doesn't need...but I do get a little offended when you imply that all I do is write checks for my cars. The truth is, I'm very involved in every aspect of every mod and 99% of the time whatever is done to the car is done exactly the way I asked (right or wrong). I also do a great deal of the wrenching myself, especially when it comes to fixing the stuff I break. That said, I have No Hard Feelings towards you and wish you the best of luck.

David, I was not talking about having people do your bolt on stuff, I was implying more on engine assembly, part fabrication, and major mods that get done. I have no hard feelin at all also.
As for the heads, they should flow alot better than most ported heads because I gave tom yentzer free reign on moving port locations on intake and exhaust sides. Since I am not limited to stock intakes we can move things around a little more. And there is a water jet near me to make exhaust flanges if needed.

Kevin

Not sure if Tom is supplying the heads.

If your working on them watch the short turn.

The casting is a lot thinner than the SC and they don't weld up well.

Pretty sure I've lost one and if so will cut up to look at casting.

Taking another over to the machine shop today and will give you a PM when I have something.

Paul

Tom is supplying the heads for me, but thanks for the info

What I don't get, is if Kevin has done his research and has planned his build based on that research, then comes out to tell everyone what AND why he is doing what he is doing, do people who haven't done the research suggest an alternate route, thereby implying that Kevin must be an idiot for doing what he is doing. It's insulting, quite likely unintentional, but insulting nonetheless.

I have long said - "you choose the box you want to play in." If anyone thinks they can be the biggest, baddest, wildest that ever was, they are in for a lot of disappointment. However, to do something no one else thought you could or should do, is the true essence of Hot Rodding. Being able to contain what you are doing to a pre-defined set of limits is what makes it practical for ordinary people to have a chance to stand out. Kevin's motor is going to stand out. The SVO will always be 'one of them.'

And yes, I was one of the guilty parties who "banned" him from the Shootout, but I think we are over that now, right? :eek:

And yes, I was one of the guilty parties who "banned" him from the Shootout, but I think we are over that now, right? :eek:[/QUOTE]

Lol, yes Dave I laugh about it now! There is absolutely no hard feelings left at all on that. I take your opinions with great value. And I know all the advice you have given me has come with great knowledge. And thank you for having my back.

Kevin,

I think its great to try new things. I dont race anymore however after seeing the v6 4.5 SVO blocks hold up to well over 1,000rwhp turbo and not breaking I just cant see you actually breaking one with your new setup unless something went seriously wrong. With a strong block everything holds together that much better. A stock block no matter which way you turn it is still stock and was engineered for value not performance from both a design and metalurgical standpoint. As for an 8.8 and a c4....Heck if I was building a 500rwhp or so race car Id definitely go with those as well. C4's hold up mighty well up untill 700 or so rwhp if built right. Past that I see them exploding regardless of claimed HP levels they can withstand. And an 8.8..Heck they are sweet if built right. Everything has a limit however.

I wish you luck and as always will be looking forward to seeing what your new setup will do

What I don't get, is if Kevin has done his research and has planned his build based on that research, then comes out to tell everyone what AND why he is doing what he is doing, do people who haven't done the research suggest an alternate route, thereby implying that Kevin must be an idiot for doing what he is doing. It's insulting, quite likely unintentional, but insulting nonetheless.

I have long said - "you choose the box you want to play in." If anyone thinks they can be the biggest, baddest, wildest that ever was, they are in for a lot of disappointment. However, to do something no one else thought you could or should do, is the true essence of Hot Rodding. Being able to contain what you are doing to a pre-defined set of limits is what makes it practical for ordinary people to have a chance to stand out. Kevin's motor is going to stand out. The SVO will always be 'one of them.'

And yes, I was one of the guilty parties who "banned" him from the Shootout, but I think we are over that now, right? :eek:

hey I thought I was cool making 750rwhp on a stock XXX 5.0 block with my turbo motor..It never blew up...But..IT WAS cheap to build. Its great to be different and stand out. But everyone has opinions. And honestly the build will be different. But making custom parts to go into a stock block that will cost $$$$$ doesnt make much sense to "ME" when there are alternatives that wont cost more and in my opinion much better. Just my opinion. It shouldnt be taken as insulting. It;s just not what I would have done.

But like you said it's his money, his sandbox. And Id be looking forward to seeing what the whole combo does at the track

I still see 2 positives.

DD was building to 400 hp when the bulk were struggling for 300 and change.

His expertise and record keeping allowed 400hp to be attained useing proven formula's.

His new bar is 500hp

He's able to break done a build in 25 hp increments.

Turbo's have their place, and unfortunately are not part of my consideration

Kevin followed his own path and pushed the M90 to the outer limits.

Based on his track record to date, I'm pretty sure it will get figured out, and if it's not working he'll do the corrections to make it so.

Paul

Probably, I might call kooks and see what they will do. But haven't really got that far ahead yet

If you do contact them for 2" primaries I would kick in for another set. I was thinking of just copying the 1 3/4 set I have now and try to extend those short tubes you just measured.:cool:

If you do contact them for 2" primaries I would kick in for another set. I was thinking of just copying the 1 3/4 set I have now and try to extend those short tubes you just measured.:cool:

Cool maybe that will help persuade them to do it. It will be a little while till I am ready.

Another bit of info that may help others with custom projects. My gear drive for the blower is not available in the SC bolt pattern on the dampner. So I contacted BHJ about my options and they said they could make the SC dampner with any bolt pattern I wanted. Or I could send mine back and redo it to save money. This would help out if you were doing a custom setup and did not want to have custom pullies made. Now you could do a sbf pattern and have thousands of options on pull sizes and configerations

Another bit of info that may help others with custom projects. My gear drive for the blower is not available in the SC bolt pattern on the dampner. So I contacted BHJ about my options and they said they could make the SC dampner with any bolt pattern I wanted. Or I could send mine back and redo it to save money. This would help out if you were doing a custom setup and did not want to have custom pullies made. Now you could do a sbf pattern and have thousands of options on pull sizes and configerations

Kevin,

Since you are already having a custom crank made, it would probably be a good idea to add a 2nd keyway to it and the balancer.

David

Kevin,

Since you are already having a custom crank made, it would probably be a good idea to add a 2nd keyway to it and the balancer.

David

That's a good idea, I will definatley have that done. I talked to moldex again today and going to an odd fire is going to save me a couple hundred bucks.

Back