Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AOD internals

AOD internals

What makes the SC AOD different from a N/A and 5.0 AOD? Can a non SC AOD be reworked so that it will work on our SC's? Thanks in advance

-Fernando

Cool I believe that

THE BANDS ARE BIGGER FOR ONE THING

OTOH, if DirtyD0g or someone of similar capabilities builds up an AOD for as bullet proof as they can go, you won't notice any difference (they may have to replace a few more parts in a 5.0 AOD, but it'd still be built solid.)

Out of the box, a 5.0HO AOD should last a while behind a stock SC, but I think I'd postpone any trips to the strip in it ...

RwP

I believe the SC AOD has an 8 clutch forward drum vs. 6 and has the bigger OD servo.
    SCCoA Member#: 2515
    1990 SC AOD 2.1L Kenne Bell
    11.676 @ 121.35 mph
    506hp/478tq
    My Garage

The only difference between a sc aod and a mustang aod is the overdrive servo, no extra bands, no extra clutches, no larger parts. NA v6 cars had less clutches and a even smaller servo.
    Alan

Thanks

Thanks for the answers. I searched all around the forum and only found out that if its NOT a SC AOD then the 3-4 shift slips. Also that any other AOD will not last. Since Im buying a stock SC AOD off a member to have my car on street, I wanted to know if tossing away the AOD on my SC was a good idea. Dirty Dog thank you for being so helpful helping a newbie understand these transmissions. I will get intouch with you no later than tax season

-Fernando

Yes, the 3-4 shift is more likely to slip with the non-SC AOD ... but, come on, 3rd gear will take you to 120 mph or so... so why would you have a 3-4 shift under heavy throttle?

I have a 5.0 AOD in my car, which was a lightly used rebuild I bought out of someone's driveway in 2006, and it is still working fine. Just food for thought.

If I had to start fresh, I would get the SC AOD, if possible.
    God bless!!!

Former Birds:
    1990 SC auto ... red outside, gray cloth inside ... ~225,000 miles ... Sold.
    1990 SC auto ... white outside, gray cloth inside ... ~150,000 miles ... wrecked.
    1989 Base auto ... Crystal Blue metallic outside, dark blue inside ... ~160,000 miles ... Sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Nando559 View Post
    Thanks for the answers. I searched all around the forum and only found out that if its NOT a SC AOD then the 3-4 shift slips. Also that any other AOD will not last. Since Im buying a stock SC AOD off a member to have my car on street, I wanted to know if tossing away the AOD on my SC was a good idea. Dirty Dog thank you for being so helpful helping a newbie understand these transmissions. I will get intouch with you no later than tax season

-Fernando
    Don't toss it!

If nothing else, hold it and sell it as a core.

RwP

Quote Originally Posted by S_Mazza View Post
    Yes, the 3-4 shift is more likely to slip with the non-SC AOD ... but, come on, 3rd gear will take you to 120 mph or so... so why would you have a 3-4 shift under heavy throttle?

I have a 5.0 AOD in my car, which was a lightly used rebuild I bought out of someone's driveway in 2006, and it is still working fine. Just food for thought.

If I had to start fresh, I would get the SC AOD, if possible.
    Well here is my problem..i have no idea what transmission i have in my SC. All I know is that my original transmission was rebuilt then it got burnt up. The guy that rebuilt it said that something was left loose and the transmission was no longer good but that he would replace it at no cost due to it being his fault. Well the transmission he put only last one week. The gear that shifts at 55mph is my problem. Right when its going to shift, it goes to "neutral" which I beleaved was the 3-4 gear. So I am wrong?

-Fernando

Quote Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
    Don't toss it!

If nothing else, hold it and sell it as a core.

RwP
    I dont plan on tossing it out. If possible, I plan on sending it out to Alan and having him do his magic so that I never need to worry about how far the car will take me with the transmission!

-Fernando

You can talk to Alan directly but usually he will only do a AOD only if he has the car, to make sure all adjustments are right.

If you want a "mail order" AOD Dan at SilverFox will be your best bet.

That is correct. I do not do mail order aod's beause unless they are adjusted correctly they will fail and I refuse to replace a product someone installed wrong on my dime. I have been burnt too many times on crap like that. TV cable adjustment is critical, if it is not 100% right no matter how well the transmission is built it will fail quickly.
    Alan

Well here is my problem..i have no idea what transmission i have in my SC. All I know is that my original transmission was rebuilt then it got burnt up. The guy that rebuilt it said that something was left loose and the transmission was no longer good but that he would replace it at no cost due to it being his fault. Well the transmission he put only last one week. The gear that shifts at 55mph is my problem. Right when its going to shift, it goes to "neutral" which I beleaved was the 3-4 gear. So I am wrong?

-Fernando
    If you are talking about a shift around 55mph under normal driving, then that is the 3-4 shift. Or are you talking about full throttle conditions?

Failing to make the shift under full throttle, I can understand. I might blame that on too weak of an OD servo.

But if it can't make the shift under cruising conditions, then the transmission guy messed up. Think about how much power the engine is making under normal highway driving ... maybe 50 horsepower? You're not overpowering servos at that power level.
    God bless!!!

Former Birds:
    1990 SC auto ... white outside, gray cloth inside ... ~150,000 miles ... wrecked.
    1989 Base auto ... Crystal Blue metallic outside, dark blue inside ... ~160,000 miles ... Sold.

Quote Originally Posted by S_Mazza View Post
    If you are talking about a shift around 55mph under normal driving, then that is the 3-4 shift. Or are you talking about full throttle conditions?

Failing to make the shift under full throttle, I can understand. I might blame that on too weak of an OD servo.

But if it can't make the shift under cruising conditions, then the transmission guy messed up. Think about how much power the engine is making under normal highway driving ... maybe 50 horsepower? You're not overpowering servos at that power level.
    Yes, it happens at cruising speeds. The car use to be my DD up until this same transmission problem started happening.I guess the shops I take my transmission to just dont know how to build SC AODs.Unless I got a N/A AOD and I got less clutches.

Yes, it happens at cruising speeds. The car use to be my DD up until this same transmission problem started happening.I guess the shops I take my transmission to just dont know how to build SC AODs.Unless I got a N/A AOD and I got less clutches.
    Whether they know how or not, they aren't doing it correctly!

I really don't think this comes down to the difference between SC and non-SC parts. I think it comes down to proper vs. improper rebuilding.

I am wondering if the second rebuild was even a rebuild at all? Maybe he just grabbed a used "good" transmission in an attempt to get himself off the hook cheaply.
    God bless!!!

Former Birds: