Is there a formal SC club of NorCal?

So I guess the question for the moment is..

Do we meet up just to hang around and meet as a "Nor Cal" Chapter OR wait until we all got our SCs' running on the road?:confused:

I know me and "someone" else are wanting to get a paint job soon!:rolleyes::D
I still have a small amount of body work before I can get mine done(plus transmission work) I'm hoping by April or early May I'll have my SC on the road and have no worries on breaking down or looking ugly:eek:

-Fernando

I beleave the question was " why don't we get a meet together? ".

I suggest everyone re-read the reply's in this thread.

It's been this way since I can remember!

Kurt

I beleave the question was " why don't we get a meet together? ".

I suggest everyone re-read the reply's in this thread.

It's been this way since I can remember!

Kurt

I *Believe* the original question was: "Is there a formal Northern Cal chapter or just a bunch of norcal sc owners?"

The answer is .. no there is no "formal chapter", just a bunch of owners. But we do tend to meet up at least once or twice a year - at least once a year I have attended some kind of event since 2005 or 2006, well at least we Invite everybody to attend an event, but not everybody always shows up. I have personally met most of the people in this chapter at least once a year and a few who are not on the internet, however I have never personally met you Kurt and a few others, but hopefully that will change this year. Most of the Tbird or SC owners I know of locally do not use these forums.

Nando - paint job never stopped me from bringin my SC along .. peeling clearcoat and all. I think you may be in store for a lot of work when you see the amount of dings and dents along the sides of the car .. I just finished the work on the 5 speed conversion for Gunn's Lemons Tbird LX and I am lined up to be doing a Clutch swap on another SC very soon. Sorry I havent got back to you, you know how busy things can get here, I am already looking at re-doing the vacuum lines on the Mercedes 500SL ( Cost me $300 for a few plastic elbows and lines, and a $80 Overload Relay that was keeping the car from starting !! ), just got an 06 Tahoe with a leaking water pump I think, and a BMW coming on Monday .. I think somewhere in between a Yukon Denali with a bad stepper motor on the MPH gauge, possibly tomorrow .. its always a surprise. I do enjoy working on the Tbirds a bit more. I am talking to a couple people about possibly parting out a 1996 Camaro Z28 and using the parts to rebuild a 51 Mercury .. :)

- Dan

Last edited:
1/2 of South Bay American Muscle

I just started a car club called South Bay American Muscle it has like 6 members right now...we keep in touch on facebook...we just went out for the first time friday night.

We have a 2012 stock 5.0, a from the factory 2007 Shebly GT, my SC, a 1968 Cougar Dan Gurney Special 302 J code slightly modded, a stock 2006 Pontiac GT 3.8SC, and my bro's heavily modded 1966 Corvette 383.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Very nice man..I have a friend who was supposed to be coming through with some tires for me but might be up for a meet as it sits. Let me know!

I didn't mean it would stop Us from meeting just saying the cars would look nice with a fresh paint job so people see our cars nice. Your SC at least has paint!:p I got primer all over the place with body filler here and there:eek: I'll post a picture later on. When my transmission was fine, having my SC looking worst than a junkyard car didn't stop me from driving and winning some traffic light races:eek::D As for your SC, dings and dents just means I have to keep my eyes open a lot to make sure I leave it looking like they never existed. So how does that car run with a 5 speed? No need to say sorry, I know how things are with you. So that's what was wrong with the Benz! I guess they are similar to our SC's in the fact that they break down due to on e stupid small part:mad: Judging by all the work you mentioned, I say you are booked as always:rolleyes:

-Fernando

Nando - paint job never stopped me from bringin my SC along .. peeling clearcoat and all. I think you may be in store for a lot of work when you see the amount of dings and dents along the sides of the car .. I just finished the work on the 5 speed conversion for Gunn's Lemons Tbird LX and I am lined up to be doing a Clutch swap on another SC very soon. Sorry I havent got back to you, you know how busy things can get here, I am already looking at re-doing the vacuum lines on the Mercedes 500SL ( Cost me $300 for a few plastic elbows and lines, and a $80 Overload Relay that was keeping the car from starting !! ), just got an 06 Tahoe with a leaking water pump I think, and a BMW coming on Monday .. I think somewhere in between a Yukon Denali with a bad stepper motor on the MPH gauge, possibly tomorrow .. its always a surprise. I do enjoy working on the Tbirds a bit more. I am talking to a couple people about possibly parting out a 1996 Camaro Z28 and using the parts to rebuild a 51 Mercury .. :)

- Dan

Basically I introduced my club on here so that next time the club meets I will extend the invitation to the nor cal sccoa...reason for this is that the nor cal sccoa, as dan said, just doesnt meet up often or often enough for me.

Jeff

Sounds like everyone drives a ~~~ around here, including myself.

LOL they are Fords. :rolleyes:

Hey your car is so clean already, all you need is a decent engine.

Nando - Yeah .. the 5 speed swap. It needs a dashpot when you put the clutch in the RPMs drop and the engine needs a little more air. Otherwise everything else went well, I just had to track down a connector that was connected but not bolted together, the fuel pump want turning on !! But the 95 runs with a 93 PCM and the m5r2.

The Mercedes sucks .. so you get a tiny vacuum leak, the o2 sensor reads lean and gives you a code "o2 signal short to power or ground" there are only about 20 DTCs in the MAS, it has a mechanical fuel distributor and electric idle control plus a 9th injector nozzle. The fuel injectors are operated by engine vacuum, so the engine sees more air and puts more and more gas into it. Somebody else adjusted the air/fuel at the distributor to compensate for the vac leak and I had to track down the original cause. When you touch any plastic on these cars, they crumble to bits. Yeah and the relay was intermittent but now it runs better with a simple relay, new vacuum lines and re-adjusted air/fuel .. it likes to read right around here <----> anything past that, and it cant compensate with the other idle air devices. Piece of junk Mercedes, you think Ford is bad, BMW sucks and Mercedes sucks.

Oh yeah and you dont buy a Mercedes shop manual like you would say a 1994 Thunderbird / Cougar EVTM and Shop manual. No .. its a WIS information system you have to pirate and crack the software to run on a standalone system with the network in feedback loop so it doesnt talk to the wafflestuffenheimmer or whatever you call them, and the electrical diagrams are 8 pages long for one picture that cover the model specific for all years they made that body.

Jeff - Sounds cool .. I need to make some kind of arrangement, too many things going on for a spur of the moment meeting.

- Dan

Last edited:
Meet!

looking forward to meet. hope i dont miss it. i dont check forums to often. i seem to remember someone needing a no light moonroof switch? well i have one if someone needs one. also have 35th interior door panel emblems.

That was me looking for the switch can you email me pictures of it I found my old one but it is missing most of the plastic tabs that hold it in. If you can PM me some pics of the switch I would appreciate it hoping you have the cover as well as the switch because I have a ton of the rocker switches themselves just no good covers. If all is good how much would you like for it and I would be up for picking it up when we meet.

Thanks

looking forward to meet. hope i dont miss it. i dont check forums to often. i seem to remember someone needing a no light moonroof switch? well i have one if someone needs one. also have 35th interior door panel emblems.

Well, if you drop somebody your phone number .. like Me, or Jeff or somebody who attends meets - you will probably get a call a few weeks in advance of an event to make sure everybody is coming. Or you can call me if you dont feel comfortable giving out your number just send a private message and I will give you my number. ;)

- Dan

DAMN! So in your opinion Dan, what kind of cars are best to own as in they don't break down as much? Doing regular maintenance of course:rolleyes:
I use to think Toyota but I'd rather have my car break down instead of not being able to STOP!!:p:D

-Fernando

LOL they are Fords. :rolleyes:

Hey your car is so clean already, all you need is a decent engine.

Nando - Yeah .. the 5 speed swap. It needs a dashpot when you put the clutch in the RPMs drop and the engine needs a little more air. Otherwise everything else went well, I just had to track down a connector that was connected but not bolted together, the fuel pump want turning on !! But the 95 runs with a 93 PCM and the m5r2.

The Mercedes sucks .. so you get a tiny vacuum leak, the o2 sensor reads lean and gives you a code "o2 signal short to power or ground" there are only about 20 DTCs in the MAS, it has a mechanical fuel distributor and electric idle control plus a 9th injector nozzle. The fuel injectors are operated by engine vacuum, so the engine sees more air and puts more and more gas into it. Somebody else adjusted the air/fuel at the distributor to compensate for the vac leak and I had to track down the original cause. When you touch any plastic on these cars, they crumble to bits. Yeah and the relay was intermittent but now it runs better with a simple relay, new vacuum lines and re-adjusted air/fuel .. it likes to read right around here <----> anything past that, and it cant compensate with the other idle air devices. Piece of junk Mercedes, you think Ford is bad, BMW sucks and Mercedes sucks.

Oh yeah and you dont buy a Mercedes shop manual like you would say a 1994 Thunderbird / Cougar EVTM and Shop manual. No .. its a WIS information system you have to pirate and crack the software to run on a standalone system with the network in feedback loop so it doesnt talk to the wafflestuffenheimmer or whatever you call them, and the electrical diagrams are 8 pages long for one picture that cover the model specific for all years they made that body.

Jeff - Sounds cool .. I need to make some kind of arrangement, too many things going on for a spur of the moment meeting.

- Dan

DAMN! So in your opinion Dan, what kind of cars are best to own as in they don't break down as much? Doing regular maintenance of course:rolleyes:
I use to think Toyota but I'd rather have my car break down instead of not being able to STOP!!:p:D

-Fernando

.. as a Mechanic, I have to say that ALL cars are Equal oppertunity Money makers. They ALL break without routine maintenance and upkeep. Some have factory defects, some are just from wear and tear. There is no such thing as a 100% reliable car. Toyotas seem to be pretty good, but they do need work also, eventually everything wears out. Bearings are only made to go about 100k miles, so keep that in mind for wheels, you should change your coolant every 2 years, flush your brake fluid every 2 years, eetc .. but most people NEVER do these routine things. You can find just about any kind of car in the junkyard. :D

Also .. the Toyotas not being able to stop was due to the fly by wire electronic actuated throttle body - so when you press the pedal, it sends a signal to the PCM and the PCM tells the throttle body motor to move. The problem was a calibration in the PCM that was very sensative. What they didnt tell you is that every car that went in for a recall and pedal replacement, also got a PCM reflash / re-calibration. Also, this problem was not limited to Toyota, but also Pontiac .. but you didnt hear a peep about that, especially since GM was owned by the government after the bailout.

- Dan

Last edited:
Thanks Dan for your views and truths about cars. I've known about the 100k miles thing but didnt know about the different flush until this past year. I guess toyota is at the top of the list again. They seem to take abuse pretty good.

Kinda got off topic about the meet but anyone serious about meeting up, I think we should exchange numbers and meet eachother. Then have a big meet..all of us.

-Fernando

I have to agree with Dan that as a mechanic all makes are equal in quality it is just a matter or mileage, how you drive, and how well you keep up the maintenance

What happend?

So did this "meet" just disappear or what?:confused:
My SC should be done by April. ;) I still got work to do on it but it will be running good enough to take out there..HOPEFULLY!:D

..Just thought I should update!

I was really looking forward to this but as of right now I have the snout bearing squeaking on my super charger plus some issues with my lights. I was testing my lights yesterday and now my passenger side brake light doesn't work but it comes on with my head lights. I switched the bulbs on the taillights to see if that was the problem but it didn't fix it. With the way it has been acting I wouldn't be shocked if I try it tonight and everything is fine :(. I did get my new tires though and I know my car is running rich because my oil smells like fuel. I am hoping to get these issues fixed soon in the next week or two and take it for dyno tuning would anyone else like to join me? I have been looking around and might have a guy to do it. If anyone else knows who is the best around here who is actually familiar with the quaterhorse and binary editor since Dito's is not however they said they would do it.

Back