May 2011: Mariano Strada's 1992 Ford Thunderbird Auto

My issues have been addressed by a better explanation by other members. George just needs additional help.

Last edited:
Wiki--We Idiots Know It

If you want false information please search for it on Wiki.

Other items listed above sound promising.

I see a couple action items:

1) D & G need to take a look at their role within the club and if they do not have the time to commit to it, pass the torch on to another 3 members. QUOTE]

Amen! I don't personally question the current club ownerships commitment to these cars, but IMHO, the commitment to running the club and helping it progress has really suffered since the last ownership change. Sad thing is, there are people who, if given the chance, would be willing to "take over the reins" and try to bring it up to date.

DW

Back to what Bill said. This shouldnt be a "boys club" Ive ALWAYS pushed local car shows and events to promote the SC's. That will get new enthusiasm in the door. The website and our community will keep them. The shootout is nice for the current membership that attends. But it as it currently stands, will not attract new blood. It's a "boys club" event. Carlisle is a national event in which thousands of non SC owners have the opportunity to be exposed to the SC's. And this is not saying the shootout is a bad thing. But it doesnt prolong the life expectancy of the club itself, only its current members.

One thing I had though tto be a great idea which EVERY OTHER WEB BASED CLUB DOES, is offer a membership package. Something the SCCOA had before I became an "official" member. People want to feel part of a club. A keychain a tshirt..heck a membership card with a number. Doesnt take much. I'd pay double my yearly fee to get something.

This will never get fixed by just Bill, Goerge of Duffy amd meeds to be a concertive effort by a team. Maybe we even need someone who si real webpage savy to put us into the 21st century here. WHo knows.

But I think this post is a good place to discuss ideas. We know its broke. What can we do to fix it

I am not a member, so mabe I should not even put my .02 in...... But, I am here alot since getting one of these cars (mustly lurking). The info, and willingness to share it here is incredible (MOST of the time it is even done without making me feel like an idiot:D). I have no plans of becoming a member. I see nothing additional offered that makes me interested enough to pay for it:cool:. I don't know if that is part of the problem, or makes ME part of the problem, but is MHO.
Adam

Thats why I am filing for separation papers and attempt making to the HotRod power tour this year. What better way to promote the car then in a rolling car show.

I know its not for everyone due to the expenses. I also bring my cars to the Worcester Nationals/New England nationals. Im usually the only SC there. :rolleyes:

Too bad Carlisle and the Tour interfere..

Thats why I am filing for separation papers and attempt making to the HotRod power tour this year. What better way to promote the car then in a rolling car show.

I know its not for everyone due to the expenses. I also bring my cars to the Worcester Nationals/New England nationals. Im usually the only SC there. :rolleyes:

Too bad Carlisle and the Tour interfere..

I think thats great though. Its the kind of exposure we need. Be it at the track or a car show

I am not a member, so mabe I should not even put my .02 in...... But, I am here alot since getting one of these cars (mustly lurking). The info, and willingness to share it here is incredible (MOST of the time it is even done without making me feel like an idiot:D). I have no plans of becoming a member. I see nothing additional offered that makes me interested enough to pay for it:cool:. I don't know if that is part of the problem, or makes ME part of the problem, but is MHO.
Adam

It is part of the problem when people want help and information but feel its all free so why bother to contribute. I would say to anyone out there. If you want to be part of a club the first stage is ante up the few dollars to join. Maybe the head guys are discourged about the lack of people willing to pay for a membership. Just MHO

Ken

are you really filling seperation papers to go on the hotrod tour ?

IDK about you guys, but my homepage goes directly to the foums. Anything other then this forum has been irrelevant since befor I even started with these..12 year old videos showcasing the amazing 12 second runs, WHAT CHAT, the latest EVENT is from 2004. the forum is where its at boys. the 20 of us who participate, are the sccoa., and thats enough for me!

As is my usual style I don’t seek to argue with anyone or create more issues for the club. I sincerely wish all of the SC owners well going into the future. I’ll amplify what Pat said that we have been largely unsuccessful in procuring the type of help we need. For some of the issues (updating the front page) we need some technical help and have not been able to get that from anyone. I have even offered up to the actual help we do have (Duane alluded to this) that we pay someone to help out. For the most part we have been successful in getting me out of the things that I was behind on doing. Biggest example is Pat automating the membership. Duane was doing a great job with the SC of the month until we did not have the technical expertise to make the updates and also lost the momentum of people submitting and voting on the actual cars. We have helped out with more than just writing the Shootout check and have also managed to keep our domains paid for and also pay for our hosting. We are “up” more than a lot of sites and that takes some $$ and some effort. I’m not sure why Damon had so much out of pocket expense, we tried to turn over the Carlisle thing where he would do most of the work, since we were not, but did not intend for him to do it at a financial loss. We also paid for some Carlisle items (think tent/chairs) and have passed out the Adam Mullen award for several years.

I do take exception to Bill saying he “gave the club away”. It was sold to me for the sum of $3,000 that I paid from my own pocket. The club dues did reimburse me for that amount so I am square with the club. The terms of that sale are posted here on the site. The club is actually now a non-profit company owned by me. I can only guess that Bill gave it away in terms of revenue that it could generate. There is also plenty of language in there that is very favorable to Bill’s business. At the time the “clamor da jour” was to get the club out of the hands of a vendor. So that is what we did. It is funny to me know that I ended up with the club, since I never really had issues with either Bill owning the site. I think Micah made me do it at one Carlisle meet. :)

I understand that many people are upset with me personally and I have publically acknowledged multiple times that I am responsible for the current state of affairs at the SCCoA. Basically we have a great group of people and a website. I have definitely been remiss in a lot of areas and have just kept the pilot light on. Due to many factors that no one really cares about, what started out with great enthusiasm on my part has died down to just the pilot light.

There have been a few people contact me outside of posts such as these, although I am not hard to find since my email is everywhere and even my personal cell phone is published in connection with the site, so even Kurt should have no trouble contacting me.

So what now? I think this last thread has made me realize that I need to get out of the way. I have definitely come to the realization that my life won’t change much for the foreseeable future, so I’ll check with some that have come forward to me directly about taking over the club and try to work something out. I’m sure it will be in my own too slow fashion, but I have been able to accomplish a few things over the years.

At times like this I think of the line Tom Cruise had in Cocktail, “If it didn’t end badly, it wouldn’t end”. I definitely could have done things better, but I’m sure the SCCoA will have a future in spite of me. At least everyone can still post in an uncensored environment. You all are coming together already!

If anything comes out of this thread - I hope that someone with will take this place over and be fired up about it. I also hope that George brings his car to a SC related event. If I can at all edit peoples posts again, in a fashion that brings great shame to them (only when warranted), that would be the icing on the cake.

I do take exception to Bill saying he “gave the club away”. It was sold to me for the sum of $3,000 that I paid from my own pocket.

This is 100% correct. If I may clarify the value of the "club" was assumed to be of no value but I sold the material possessions of the club at the time which included numerous copies of old Chargin' Thunder issues, membership cards, vehicle stickers, a club banner for display at car shows, and I think numerous club Tshirts too. The cumulative value of these items was approx. the agreed upon selling price.

It is unfortunate that our jobs, family, health, and other responsibilities get in the way of our hobbies. The perfect new club coordinator will be a genius 20 year old computer programmer with no kids or unhealthy parents/siblings to worry about, is outrageously wealthy and does not need a job...and who loves SC's!

Does anyone know someone like this?;)

Last edited:
what if the club became a seperate entity in a way. You have a club...members can move in and out of it...leadership is revoloving by whom can take it on for the time specified...like a year and then a new vote and new leadership but the club stays generally the same. I have been part of clubs like this in the past and has worked well. Roles would be clearly defined with clear respobsibilities. These could first be decided by a group of what do we want this club to be and what roles, and so on.

there just needs to be a better way for new blood to come in and get involved...as it stands all we can do it post and come to a few events

a club should not be a solo leadership

that be said...I am also willing to help, but it's hard to help if no one asks where they need help.

I am a trained professional photogrpher, also can do logos and design type stuff or head a commitee or something.

as mutch as i hate my car sometimes. I ain't going no where. plus our local members are just getting some good competiton. I do think for growth of the club the clubs event's do need to change location from time to time to get new members more active. Just in the few short weeks of me driving my car.
I have more people come up to me and ask what is this car, who make's it.
so there is defentily people that are still intrested in them. I will say this if you want this club to grow.The members need to aproach other bird owners when ya see them. Do more group event's. Members have to take charge to make changes leadership can only do so mutch.

just my 2 cent's
gandalf the grey

I have had lots of experience with a wide variety of clubs and associations and it has been my experience that regular infusions of new blood is vital to keeping an organization successful.

It is really hard for one person to maintain the drive and allocate the time to keep things moving forward.

If there was a structure that had clearly delineated roles that people could move in and out of in a formal way we could keep the site moving forward.

This site is one of the best I have ever had to use. I rarely see a descent into inanity or outright vitriol that occurs on many other car forums.

It is far too valuable to not fix.

A simple way to start is to assign a number of interested people, say 3, to investigate and then propose an executive structure change complete with set offices, i.e. events, webpage, membership.

Then post what skillsets are required and figure out a method to assign those people to those roles.

If there are enough people on the executive, say 5-6, no one person will get bogged down and there will be enough people to have worthwhile discussions before setting out on a course of action.

Just my Canadian 2 cents.

Regards

Sean

Back