State of the SCCoA

Ryan A Harris

From this link in the non-tech forum, you can see things may change in the ownership status of the SCCoA. http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123873

Maybe this can help us Ontario guys starting to generate talk about new ways to get more people to attend meets, or attract newer members. It seems that once a very active local club has died to down over the years.

I think that one thing we use to help get SC's out to more meets would be to plan more meets. Make schedule early in the year for tack days, cruise nights are everywhere during the summer. We could pick one to make a weekly event for us to show up at.

I hope this will help to get us talking about our local club to once again thrive.

It is quite compared even to when I first joined. I think some cruise nights are a great idea. I went to a few with my cars and they always had lots of attention. Although my 91 had more cause you could hear it when I pulled in:(

Drew

Ryan A Harris said:
It seems that once a very active local club has died to down over the years.
Not entirely surprising considering the age of these cars and their dwindling numbers. This happens to all clubs where the model has been discontinued... it morphs into an ever-shrinking group of dedicated owners.
Ryan A Harris said:
I think that one thing we use to help get SC's out to more meets would be to plan more meets.
My suggestion here is to abandon the "arranged dinner meets" in restaurants and get back to the meets this club entertained in the beginning... informal coffee shop get-togethers. It's pretty intimidating for a newcomer to attend these present-day formal meets.
Ryan A Harris said:
Maybe this can help us Ontario guys starting to generate talk about new ways to get more people to attend meets,
You gotta show up too Ryan!

-------------------------------

Being a former SC owner, I made a lot of friends being part of this club and I would still show up at some of the meets (if they weren't so biased towards certain club members). Although I drive a Mustang now, I still have a love for the SC and I'm still interested in what guys are doing with them. Attracting former members should be a goal of this local chapter too (IMHO).

Paul

I have your tranni and have had dinner with Ryan and his family.

That said I remember my 67 Big Block Mustang.

I used to go to a burger joint in the west end of N TO looking for trouble.

I'm thinking your bang on,

Lets get rough and tumble

The word will get out.

Paul

Last year there was a meet posted about going to a local cruise meet in south Mississauga. We were going to meet ahead of the time at a Tim's and drive down as a group to make a statement when we arrived. Hard to make that statement when it was just two cars. Tony and I saw some realy nice equipment and met a few interesting folks. In defense of everyone, it was on the 4th of July weekend so there was other things on peoples plates. But no attempt was made again. In season, there are cruise ins all over the place and many nights a week.
Ryan mentioned to me lately that his dad goes to three cruise nights a week. I don't expect this kind of commitment, especially from members with young families etc.
What I think we need is longer notice and some events that don't include going for dinner. This is a CAR club not a supper club.
Alan

You guys within 90 minutes of the GTA are lucky in my view.
I'd love to be closer and turn some wrenches, scoff some BBQ, tip a brown etc.
My new job has me tied to a desk so I don't travel down that way as often as I used to.
We'll be centred in Trenton one day ...... soon. :D

Bruce

I'd love to be closer and turn some wrenches, scoff some BBQ, tip a brown etc.

Bruce

Last September I had a 'wrench meet' and managed to do a complete driveline swap with only 40 hours of hands on time. I couldn't have done it without the help of members of this club. I saw members come around that haven't been to a meet in years. If we had more preset wrench days that we get together and help out other members, maybe we would see more of these beautiful cars on the road being enjoyed rather than in the driveway looking like an insurmountable task. I'm a firm believer that many hands make light work. Let's work on other members projects to help speed them into mobility. Then let's take six or twelve cars to a cruise night and make a statement. Nothing looks better to me than a whole bunch of SC's all parked in a line.
Alan

I know I have been saying this for a long time, but I really do still have an SC. I have spent the last few years preparing for the loss of my job last September (getting any and all renovations done and eliminating any debt I had before my last paycheck arrived) and my car took a back seat. My hope is to get some of you to make the trek to London this spring to help me get my motor finished up and back in my car. I also have the 93 with the 5spd waiting to be swapped into my red car. My goal is to get the motor and tranny in and at least fire it up this year so I can say it runs and maybe have it tuned and on the road for the following season.

I hear everyone as far as the meets are concerned. I have gone to many Cruise nights with my car, and quite a few car shows as well. It is so different that it garners some attention. I will be going to Carlisle this June, as well as to the Shootout, since I now have the time. Those events always attract the same crowds though, and can be pricey. The SCCoO has always been one of the busiest clubs around, and having not been to a meet in 4-5 yrs, I cant say I have done anything to contribute.
But I would be willing to attend some cruise nights with some guys. Let me know if anything happens. Its nice to see Ryan back in the fold.

Matt Leskiw
905-244-5380

im in for a cruise, night, wrench meet, whatever.. I have never been to one as i just got my SC before the winter of last year,, but i sure could use some help getting my car tip top

meets

I have noticed in the past 10 years the number has dwindled aswell but these are great cars and im sure we can still get some people out.. my suggestion is fri or sat meeting not sundays. And I agree maybe a actual track day or just a simple timmys meeting till we get kicked out lol

I'm sure once we get into the spring/summer weather we will have our SC's out more. Just doing things with our car will get people going again. Simply having a couple of guys meeting at a Timmy's or a cruise night, or at the track will promote the club doing things, as a club. We need to pictures when do get together, and then post them. I don't think we are in trouble of loosing the club, or having it die off, just need to wake up the owners of these cars a little, that's all.;)

Paul, I can only make the meets when I'm not working the afternoon or midnight shifts. :cool:

Back