WTB: Charging Thunder Magazines

Toms-SC

Hey team,

I'm looking to buy the complete series of charging thunder magazines. I have full intentions to get them digitized and published into the members section of the SCCoA.

PM me

I purchased a full set a few years ago. I have no intentions of selling, but am willing to help out with publishing them on the site.

Ryan,

Let me try to get a set first. The issue is that professional scanning service providers cannot guarantee that the magazines won't be damaged. They have to dismantle the magazines, scan them, and attempt to reassemble them.

Would be nice to view those but I have a feeling that whoever sells and publishes these magazines or newsletters, isn't going to want them posted online for free/even for members. It may be illegal, great thought though, but might want to read the small print on the newsletters and contact publisher(somebody on here) first.

They were published by the club, for the club. They are a little piece of history that need to be retained and available to current membership. I'll seek permission from the only remaining active SCCoA founder once I source a set of magazines.

I think it is wounderful you have taken this on...when checking all the tabs on the site I saw the back issues and thought that it would be nice to see them archieved...way to go!!!:) Thanks!

Unfortunately, as this platform gets older and members move on we are losing valuable historic data. I am attempting to 'do something' and capture as much remaining print about the super coupe as possible. Chargin' Thunder is my first stop.

I also have a complete set and would be willing to help if we can find a place that will assure they are not damaged...

Marcos and Ryan. I did a fair bit of searching for a service provider around where you two live and was unable to find anything. I'd rather avoid shipping so for the time being I'll continue to peruse getting my own set.

Tom, what are you trying to do? My home scanner can scan the pages in as a pdf to be made into a file for each issue.

Ryan,

Your arm will fall off, trust me. What I plan on doing is getting them professional disassembled, scanned, and reassembled. I did a lot of archiving with my 4.5L SVO project and believe me when I say it sucks doing it with a home scanner. You've helped me with the oil catch cans, canton tanks but manually scanning hundreds of pages? That is the limit! :D

Well thanks, I didn't actually plan on scanning them as I got other stuff to work on, but the capability is there if anyone wants to give it the at home shot.

Another suggestion for doing it at home is photographing the magazines.

With a decent digital camera, small tripod and some creative lighting it could work well. You could shoot 2 pages at once.

An idea would be to use a piece of non glare glass (slightly frosted surface) to hold the pages flat. They use this glass in picture frames. Then get the lighting angle good and click away.

I can speak to how things used to be:

The old Chargin' Thunder newsletters were given to SCCoA members as part of their $40 annual membership. They received four per year and the newsletters were typically 30-60 pages. Club members also receive a membership card, club stickers and some other give away items that welcomed them into the club when they joined.

If you wanted a back issue of C.T. then they were available for a nominal fee of $5 or so to cover the printing costs and someones time to do so.

I don't know what the future holds for the club but in my opinion these are so old now that they should just be scanned and displayed for everyone to see. They really have lost their value as a source of revenue for the club since the info and stories are now 8 to 15 years old.

I too have a complete printed set as well as the original discs with the Word zip files on them. I don't have a computer with a disc drive any more though.

Bill,

Since it sounds like you have the original digital format, might I suggest the following.

Make the original digital files available for a download fee. If you wanted to offer them through your current web store that would be one option.

There will be some cost associated with the hosting and data throughput, so the cost of the downloads should cover that and some profit for your (someones) time to implement it.

Bill,

If you are willing to send the disc's registered mail I can do the rest of the work and send you back the originals. I might mention that there is a good chance that the data could be corrupted due to age. Let me know, I'm willing to pay for shipping both ways.

Back