Mark-8 control arm ?'s

Nice........any other names other than liar you want to call me? :p

The TC indicator was there, but was not operational.

I never said liar, you used that word, but I believe that you're mistaken.

Show us a door tag or window sticker.

It was possible to order a base model 3.8 Thunderbird with a Trac-Loc. I don't have any knowledge of whether that was an option for the Mark VIII.

2) The Mark VIII half shafts are hardened at a couple of key points - I'd grab them for In The Future since they should be as durable, if not more so, than the SC half shafts.
RwP

Ralph,
Very interesting. Where did you learn this? I thought they were weaker than the SC half shafts.

Thanks.

The 97/98 Marks have the strongest half shafts.

- Dan

Dan,

I've heard this before, but everytime I look for the Mrk8 halfshafts (like today on Rock Auto) I come up with the same part number for the SC halfshafts. Do you have any info on where to get these stronger Mrk8 halfshafts ?

David

Dan,

I've heard this before, but everytime I look for the Mrk8 halfshafts (like today on Rock Auto) I come up with the same part number for the SC halfshafts. Do you have any info on where to get these stronger Mrk8 halfshafts ?

David

I read this information somewhere on the TCCOA in a post by Duffy - and its the Outer joints that are hardened.

- Dan

Last edited:
Dan,

David

The boneyard.

Remans from RockAuto and others will show the same - since stock, there isn't a problem with any of them on any MN12/FN10s. With the way you guys are building the SCs, however ... :D:D Every little bit helps.

RwP

Sorry, not believing is completely different. ;)

The car was traded in about 3 years ago. No pictures available. Guess that makes me "unbelievable"? :D

Sorry to be a non-believer, but over the years, several people have claimed to have had a "factory installed" trac-loc in their Mark VIII's, but none have been able to offer proof. As soon as someone provides either a door jamb tag or a window sticker that shows a factory installed trac-loc, then I'll believe it. The attached pic is from the factory service manual, showing that the only two options available were both conventional (open) differentials.

AFAIK, the first aluminum trac-loc pumpkin built by Ford was for the 1999 Cobra, they simply didn't exist in 1997. There were iron case trac-loc's in Thunderbirds, and I'm sure that some of them (or swapped internals) found their way into Mark VIII's at dealerships, but not on the assembly line.

Just out of curiosity, did you buy the Mark VIII new? And what makes you believe that it had a trac-loc in it?

Attachments

• MarkVIIIAxleCodes.jpg
    MarkVIIIAxleCodes.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Back