Trannipaloosa - How to install a T56 in one weekend...

Cool! Well if you could find one that would certainly be helpful for someone wanting more of a stock replacement type install.

Also, something worthy of note would be that we used the GM 26 spline input shaft, but I'm guessing that the Ford 10 spline would make things easier for someone wanting to do this on a street only type car. I assume the Ford input shaft would be a tad shorter also because the GM input shaft was too long necessitating a custom pilot bushing.

We chose the 26 spline input shaft for greater strength and whether or not we could have sourced an aluminum bellhousing we wanted the blowshield anyway for protection since this car is going to be drag raced and the motor is capable of over 7000rpm.

That doesn't answer the weight question, but it seems to me that even without the bellhousing, the T56 is heavier than a complete M5R2. I have another one here I can weigh later sometime when I get a chance.

Last edited:
Ok, so today's update:

Console cover went on fine. Turns out the shifter is actually too far back now since the shifter handle has a 2.5" offset. So we'll look for a less aggressive handle, but in the mean time everything is ok.

We spent most of today building merge collectors for the Kooks longtubes, installing a 3 gauge pillar pod, and fabricating the 4" intake for the 95MM TB.

Tomorrow we will put the car back up in the air to install the headers and connect that last few bits on the transmission. We'll also need to bleed the clutch and check operation of that system.

When we get the car back up in the air I'll get some pics of the custom cross member and other minor details.

So we made some progress. Got everything fit up. Will need to find another shifter handle because this one sets back too far and lightly contacts the console when in 2nd gear.

Was unable to drive the car because I think I have too much clearance on the TO bearing and therefore clutch will not disengage. I will have to pull the trans out and shim the TO bearing for proper clearance. We were within spec according to McLeod, but on the very edge so we'll shoot for the other end of the specification this time and see how that works out.

Some pics of the shifter and modified cross member. We purposely made the cross member so that no major modifications to the car were required, and so that the M5R2 can be easily re-installed should the need or desire arise.

Attachments

• P2260037b.JPG
    P2260037b.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 216
  • P2260036b.JPG
    P2260036b.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 213
  • P2250029b.JPG
    P2250029b.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 236
No way I'd pay this price, especially without a picture to compare, but: here's a supposed aluminum T56 bell housing for a 5.0. For all I know, this could be for a new 5.0, but I doubt it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/McLeod-ALUM-BELLHSG-5-0L-FORD-T56-157-ONLY-8-012BELL-/370521770492?hash=item5644d189fc&item=370521770492&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Went to their site, no more info. Re-reviewed McLeod's info on their site. No alum. belhousings in their lineup.
MikeH

if you have a free min, could you maybee put a parts list with part numbers up on this post. maybee it can be turned into an Install DIY.

thanks

I have been throwing around this idea myself to swap my m5r2 for a t-56. What did you do about a drive shaft?

Not to take away from Dave's work....

......But search can work.
I listed a lot of part #'s in this thread for my swap.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75969
MikeH
p.s. Keep up the great work Dave!

and here...

There's been a lot of talk about T56's over the years, but finally we are going to put one in, get the job done, and let you know what it feels like.

Ok, in all honesty you may never actually complete a total install in one weekend without a lot of groundwork being done in advance, but the actual installation is quite doable.

Here we go.

First off, the ground work:

You'll need - A working T56. In this case we took an early Camaro Borg Warner T56 and updated the front cover and input shaft to a late model so that it would accept a diaphram style slave cylinder which we purchased in advance from McLeod along with a SBF bellhousing/SFI blowshield and separator plate. We used a custom McLeod lightweight billet steel flywheel and in this case a twin disc McLeod clutch originally designed for a 4.6L Cobra. Then we had to make sure we had all the right attaching bolts (none of the stock stuff or anything that came in any of the kits worked) and clutch line adapters for the master cylinder and -3 AN lines. Then you'll need a special lengthened driveshaft which we had custom made by Dynatech. I also made, in advance, a custom bolt in crossmember from a modified stock SC unit as can be seen in the pictures. A Z-handle on the stock Camaro shifter took care of boot alignment as the pictures show, requiring only minor trimming of the transmission tunnel.

More to come! As the weekend progresses......

All of that was handled in advance, and

custom shaft and modified x-mem.
MikeH

Still having problems with the McLeod twin disc clutch. Once I get that figured out it will be on the road!

Hey Dave,
Have you tried shimming the pressure plate on the flywheel. McLeod told me a while back that I needed a shim ring to get the correct clearence for disengagement, but I am using a stock flywheel and pressure plate with their disc. Reason was that their disc is several thou thicher than stock.
Don't know if this will help.
Good luck,
MikeH

Haven't had time to pull the trans back out again, other pressing projects. Will be taking it apart again soon to closely examine what is going on in there. :(

Back