Trannipaloosa - How to install a T56 in one weekend...

I know the powertour is coming up, planning to wrap this up upon your return? Anxious to put something like this on my future to do list.

Ok, so finally got to drive the car yesterday. Went the roundy rounds on the twin disc clutch and still have some issues to resolve, but so far making good progress.

The stock SC master cylinder has too much mechanical advantage over the Mcleod slave cylinder. From my discussions with McLeod it seems that the desired master piston diameter is about .700" whereas the SC master is about .900. This means that we achieve full extension of the slave very early in the stroke and as a result the pedal is overly firm and doesn't travel all the way to the floor. I think the solution here is to get an adjustable quadrant from McLeod to increase pedal travel.

If you were just into drag racing then this would be ok. You'd need to fabricate a pedal stop so you don't pop the slave seals, but it would be great for shifting quick, having only about 2.5" of pedal travel.

The tranny shifts nice and the clutch is awesome. Spendy, but awesome. On an extreme build like this one I think this is the only way to go.

I was doing a lot of thinking about the twin disc set up as we were in plenty of stop and go traffic on the HRPT. When that single disc was hot, it didn't like to be ridden for more than a few seconds.

Which trans front plate ar you running, GM or ford/viper/retro? Is your slave an internal or external? How much 'shim' is under the slave (if internal)?
If the volume of the master is to large, maybe a Viper slave would work (if front plate is the ford/viper/retro one). I have a Viper slave, SC master, single disc clutch in an older BW LS1 T56 with viper/retro front plate and about a 0.4" spacer disck under the slave.
If you have shim, taking it out will move the stroke complete point lower to the floor, as long as the slave is not over-extended it should be fine. The slave will only retract as far as the point where the pressure from the pressure plate via throwout bearing= slave/throwout spring pressure.

Finding a slave and master that will work together and give the preferred pedal height for dis/engagement would be my pref. Using a stop on so short of pedal movement ...not so much. If you moved the pedal pivot or master pivot to reduce the moment felt by the master would probably work(more pedal travel with less master push rod travel).
MikeH

Back