fiberglass trunk lid

Sounds like you just volunteered for the job.

Better make sure it's strong enough to hold up your park bench.

I have the hairy glass decklid on my car. There is alot of work involved as its just the top peice and you have to make it work with your rear panel/lights/plate. I just cut the panel from the old decklid, and pinned the new deck lid down, however its really really thin.

I have been kicking around the door idea for years. Still not sure I am ready to take the leap yet. Does the pass side line up pretty well? It seems the driver's side is a bit off.

SWS

The doors came off moldings john temple had, trunk lid was from hairy glass.

Yes the moldings are a tad off and out of any sc project getting doors to fit properly is probably the hardest project out of them all. It takes a lot of time and patience as there is a ton of work involved. The biggest issue is the steel doors are alot thinner so the parts dont transfer over to the thicker glass doors easily and there are some modifications to be made.

The trunklid project was straight forward. cut the rear panel off the old stock trunk lid, put it where it would go stock thus using the old latch, and then bolt it down. After that put the glass lid on top and I pinned it down. Alot of extra stuff used with old trunk lid was able to be removed so total weight savings there was decent.

The glass doors are super light so the door sagging issue isn't an issue any more. Yes since the moldings are a tad off it doesn't look perfect, but from a distance you cant tell unless your specifically look at it. For me its more a go fast car/toy and not so much a show car.

The glass doors hold up really well, and is reinforced good, well as good as you can for a glass door and still keeping it a lot lighter than the steel door. Just got to avoid slamming the door shut which i dont need to anymore, and also avoid letting the wind take the door and flying the door open which happened once but it seems ok.

Overall my entire weight savings total was around 500lbs, and I could the difference in performance immediately, was a different car.

Hope this answers most of the questions i saw. I got some emails saying PMs were attempted by my inbox was full, my PM's are empty now so feel free to ask questions here or PMs.

Does not really matter WHERE you remove the weight at the first stages. You can always cut it off of the front and add stuff from the front to the rear to get your equalization right. I would...same story as always:rolleyes:

SWS

Back