my latest acquisition

fast Ed

Hey guys

Finally remembering to throw up some pics of the new T-Bird I picked up a few weeks ago, a 66 Thunderbird Town Hardtop. This particular body style is a one-year only deal, it has the big C-pillar with no quarter window like the Town Landau model (that comes with a vinyl roof and landau bars), difference being no vinyl roof.

Has the base engine, 390 4-bbl 315 hp, C6 automatic, a bit over 100,000 miles. Pretty well-optioned, A/C, P/W, PDL, Pwr driver seat, power antenna, remote mirror. Sold in Texas originally, and lived much of its life in California. Even has a cool 1980 NHRA Winternationals decal on the windshield. Very solid car, has had a repaint at some point that is now very faded. Undercarriage and engine bay are very clean, these big cars are actually unibody, unlike many of the large full frame cars of that era. Wheels are cheapie aftermarket chrome steel with too-small tires that will be changed fairly soon.

IMG_0152.jpg

Cool slideaway steering column, neat dash and console, front seats need recovering:

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

Awesome back seat!!

IMG_0104.jpg

Overhead console that is part of the Town Hardtop package:

IMG_0115.jpg

Paint looks OK when it's wet:

IMG_0110.jpg

Good running 390 4-barrel with a few chrome goodies:

IMG_0106.jpg

And the coolest part of the 60s T-Birds, click on the photo for a very short video:

Plans are to clean up the car as much as possible, see if the paint will buff up at all, change the wheels and tires, and likely put in a Pertronix electronic igntion ... then drive and enjoy!

cheers
Ed

Last edited by a moderator:
About time you posted some pictures. Love the car. When are you bringing it to the meet?)

am I the only one thinking a hyped up SC drivetrain swap, .. would probably shave 300lbs off the car and get twice the gas mileage.. not to mention being pretty damn cool to do .. or a 4.6 with a blower , or .. or ..

I'm not looking to add too much complexity to this particular car. If it ends up being a long-term keeper, I will consider doing an EFI swap using something like MSD's new Atomic system, which bolts in place of a standard flange 4-barrel carb.

http://www.atomicefi.com/

2900.jpg

cheers
Ed

My uncle used the original Holley Projection yeeeeears ago on his B/A motorhome .. it was pretty crappy to say the least, .. I would imagine the newer bolt on stuff is way better but what I ended up doing on his MH was weld in some injector bosses into a Weiand [ sp?] alum intake , and used a Ford A9L sequential comp and mass air unit to run his 440 Chrystler.
Works great.. I had to make an adaptor to fit the ford distributor into the 440 and a few other custom pcs but the thing purrs like a kitten , in any weather and at any altitude [ a problem with the Projection unit at the time ] .
It also has Edelbrock alum heads and a bit beefier cam .. it gets alot better mileage and waaaaay more power.
He still will not let me put a turbo on it though.. damn..
If you want to do something like this , let me know. :) .

I'm not looking to add too much complexity to this particular car. If it ends up being a long-term keeper, I will consider doing an EFI swap using something like MSD's new Atomic system, which bolts in place of a standard flange 4-barrel carb.

http://www.atomicefi.com/

2900.jpg

cheers
Ed

My uncle used the original Holley Projection yeeeeears ago on his B/A motorhome .. it was pretty crappy to say the least, .. I would imagine the newer bolt on stuff is way better but what I ended up doing on his MH was weld in some injector bosses into a Weiand [ sp?] alum intake , and used a Ford A9L sequential comp and mass air unit to run his 440 Chrystler.
Works great.. I had to make an adaptor to fit the ford distributor into the 440 and a few other custom pcs but the thing purrs like a kitten , in any weather and at any altitude [ a problem with the Projection unit at the time ] .
It also has Edelbrock alum heads and a bit beefier cam .. it gets alot better mileage and waaaaay more power.
He still will not let me put a turbo on it though.. damn..
If you want to do something like this , let me know. :) .

That would be the other way to do it, build it yourself ... there are existing EFI compatible manifolds for FE engines on the market, but they are too tall for the T-Bird hoodline. So I could start with an old time Offy or Weiand low rise intake, and work from there.

The advantage to the MSD system is that it can be hidden under a factory or factory-style air cleaner, to keep the engine bay looking more vintage. I have a nice pair of Moon finned valve covers to go on, and I'd like to keep things looking somewhat period-correct on the car within reason.

cheers
Ed

Nice ride! I love those classic lines of that era Tbird. Glad you are going to take good care of that classic!

What color are you thinking of painting it?

Love that body style. If it was mine I would spend the bucks for a high end paint job and redo the interior to perfection some nice wheels, nothing radical and just drive it everywhere. The only thing better might be a rag top. Nice car anyway you slice it. The atomic setup looks like a good deal

Ken

Cool ride, Ed. I am now officially waayyy jealous. You now have my favourite t-bird of all. Perry Mason's assistant used to drive one with the same swing away wheel. And who can forget that Matt Helm drove a '66! Can hardly wait to see it in person. Now that you have a t-bird again, you can stop feeling bad and come out to more meets:rolleyes:
Alan

Very nice, I really like the way those 64-66 tbirds look. that and the 1960 birds are pretty slick..

Geez, it sounds like some of you guys are more in to the car than I am! :p

If I do a repaint in the future, in my mind right now I would just go with the original colour. The car would be worth more at resale that way, and it's not a bad colour when it actually has a shine to it.

This is the 15" Cragar wheel that I'm planning to go with for now:

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

Might go with some redline portawalls on them, not sure yet:

IMG_0145.jpg

Might eventually do something larger, maybe these Ion wheels that are available in 17" and 18":

200982420305014203.jpg

I do plan to order a set of front seat covers, at least get those done as a start to the interior resto anyway so that I can lose the blankets. LOL

cheers
Ed

Very nice, Ed. Great foundation to build upon.

Are them there drummers on alla 4 cownas?

I might have some early 60's Ford shop manuals buried down the basement.

I know I have a complete OEM set for '69 Lincolns .......

Bruce

Nope, the Birds started with Kelsey-Hayes 4-piston calipers and big front rotors in 1965. Pedal feels pretty responsive. Unfortunately the massive calipers limit the wheel choice a bit, it's like the 60s Corvettes where a flat spoke wheel won't clear. The car already has some longer studs and spacers on it to fit the chrome smoothie wheels.

IMG_0117.jpg

Shop manual I'm good to go as well. The seller had a reprint of the factory manual that he passed along.

Don't think that I mentioned the purchase price, $3800. :)

cheers
Ed

Hey Ed,

Nice car. Congrats on the new purchase. I'd love to get a 60 - 62 bullet Bird and resto-mod it.

Too many wants and not enough time.

Hope you've been well and have fun with it.

Back