Turbo track time

Watch out for a new sc motor setup in the near future! Just dropped my heads off at the machine shop to get a shaft mounted rocker conversion. It will take a while but will be worth it to be able to rev out to 9k rpm if I need to with a big turbo. Lsx racing valves along with springs that have upwards of 600 lbs of pressure will be replacing the stock sbc steel valves I have now. Solid lifters and high lift high rpm cam to go along with it.

We're trying to keep the budget around 4k for the conversion with valves and springs. Cam and pushrods are tbd at the moment.

Who's doing the work? You ever have Bruce do any work for you? I have one of his lowers on my car now and his work is top notch. Also think he's building rons motor.

Who's doing the work? You ever have Bruce do any work for you? I have one of his lowers on my car now and his work is top notch. Also think he's building rons motor.
he's not allowed to get involved with any more side jobs according to MIKE the guy in charge. Bruce designed a REAL nice setup for ron's mustang motor. extremely lightweight pistons and eagle rods. ron's lower end can rev out to 9k but his top end will never handle those rpms. Ron's lower and upper can flow a ton of air though. if he gets a good turbo instead of the master power junk. and a reliable transmission that doesn't break every other week he'll be a 9 second v6 easily. he's got the advantage of a lightweight mustang with all the suspension/frame work to put the power to the ground.

I had bruce do all the machine work to my block last time. this time around i'll have bruce to the machine work to the block as far as line boring the mains for the new gurdle but thats about it. the cam, heads, intakes are being done by another race shop.

heads are done. the valve shrouding is gone. titanium valves. custom high pressure valve springs. shaft mount rocker setup is done. the machinist was able to make big block chevy shaft rockers work. same 1.73 ratio. solid lifters. custom cam. no more baby 232/236 @ .050. now its in the high 24x's at .050 and bumping the lift up to .700 cam the heads have been o-ringed and will work with a ford MLS gasket. also the head bolt holes have been drilled out and stainless inserts have been pressed in. it has something to due with cylinder head expansion and keeping the head from lifting. we're expecting to run 35lbs of boost through an 82mm bullseye turbo.

I dropped my single port lower intake off to another machine shop who says the single port lower will support 1k horsepower all day long. so he's making me a custom upper that has dual throttle bodies that point at a 45 degree angle from straight forward. so basically one TB will be pointed towards where the alternator was, and another will be pointed where the a/c compressor was. with dividers and guide plates to direct air inside the manifold.

as for fuel, I'll be running straight meth. with a pair of 220lb injectors per intake runner. a 12 gph belt driven pump will be where the power steering was.

coils will be plain jane LS coils, they're good enough for my goals.

ecu will be ProEfi128.

its good having friends with knowledge and skills. its a fun project for everyone.

the goal is 1k hp through an automatic trans. why? for the fun of it!

Very interesting. Looking forward to seeing how it works out. Is that enough injector for 1k on meth?

Edit is that 12 6 or 4 220's? I read it as 2 220's at first.

Last edited:
2 per cylinder. 12 in total. only one injector will fire per cylinder when not in boost. the other 6 will come on as needed.

heads are done. the valve shrouding is gone. titanium valves. custom high pressure valve springs. shaft mount rocker setup is done. the machinist was able to make big block chevy shaft rockers work. same 1.73 ratio. solid lifters. custom cam. no more baby 232/236 @ .050. now its in the high 24x's at .050 and bumping the lift up to .700 cam the heads have been o-ringed and will work with a ford MLS gasket. also the head bolt holes have been drilled out and stainless inserts have been pressed in. it has something to due with cylinder head expansion and keeping the head from lifting. we're expecting to run 35lbs of boost through an 82mm bullseye turbo.

I dropped my single port lower intake off to another machine shop who says the single port lower will support 1k horsepower all day long. so he's making me a custom upper that has dual throttle bodies that point at a 45 degree angle from straight forward. so basically one TB will be pointed towards where the alternator was, and another will be pointed where the a/c compressor was. with dividers and guide plates to direct air inside the manifold.

as for fuel, I'll be running straight meth. with a pair of 220lb injectors per intake runner. a 12 gph belt driven pump will be where the power steering was.

coils will be plain jane LS coils, they're good enough for my goals.

ecu will be ProEfi128.

its good having friends with knowledge and skills. its a fun project for everyone.

the goal is 1k hp through an automatic trans. why? for the fun of it!

Can you post some pictures of the heads that were reworked to accept shaft mounted rockers.

Thanks, David

Sure when I get them back from the machinist I have been meaning to pick them up but our schedules haven't lined up this week.

On another note. I just ordered 4 bolt main caps from pro-gram and a main cap gurdle from morana they should be here Thursday or friday. I was surprised how inexpensive everything was. 300 for the Mains and 200 for the 1/2" thick steel to tie the mains together. Should be a solid bottom end to work with the top end.

I probably missed all this because I dont look at the race result forum. Sweet! Youre spending quite abit of bucks there on eh Pro EFI..Have a connection? Im looking into several stand alones now but ProEFI is a little to rich for my blood at the moment. Looking at MS3. Again looks liek its coming along great

I probably missed all this because I dont look at the race result forum. Sweet! Youre spending quite abit of bucks there on eh Pro EFI..Have a connection? Im looking into several stand alones now but ProEFI is a little to rich for my blood at the moment. Looking at MS3. Again looks liek its coming along great

I've got connections at the performance shop I used to work for. I'm getting everything for their cost which is considerably less than retail. Everything I'm doing is really not that expensive considering the mods that people pay for like an mpx with overdrive which produces much less hp than I'll be putting out. My budget for this motor build is only 6k and will break 1k horse.

Sure when I get them back from the machinist I have been meaning to pick them up but our schedules haven't lined up this week.

On another note. I just ordered 4 bolt main caps from pro-gram and a main cap gurdle from morana they should be here Thursday or friday. I was surprised how inexpensive everything was. 300 for the Mains and 200 for the 1/2" thick steel to tie the mains together. Should be a solid bottom end to work with the top end.

I haven't seen anyone use a girdle with those big 4 bolt main caps. Is that going to require a custom oil pan and pick-up tube ?

David

I haven't seen anyone use a girdle with those big 4 bolt main caps. Is that going to require a custom oil pan and pick-up tube ?

David

That's a good point you made. I'm probably going to have to make a custom oil pan and pickup.

I was just on the phone with Tom from ssm asking what else I could do to strengthen the bottom end. Short of getting a scat crank, getting my 94/95 sc crank shot peened and race prepped is the next best. So I'll be shipping my crank to him in 2 weeks and it will take about a month to get it race ready. Also picked up a bhj balancer while we were talking about the build, my stock 94/95 balancer was about to fail from the rubber splitting anyways..

After speakIng with Morana I'll only need to cut n weld the front of the oil pan to clear the gurdle. Stock pickup is fine. I just ordered a double roller chain as well to avoid another failure with that cloyes crap.

I think it would be easier and cheaper to do what kevin is doing and fill the block and heads. A half fill would probablly do the trick and keep it streetable. Custom parts like your talking seems a bit too pricey for me anyways.

What number are you trying to run? and is that 1000rwhp through what trans setup?

I think it would be easier and cheaper to do what kevin is doing and fill the block and heads. A half fill would probablly do the trick and keep it streetable. Custom parts like your talking seems a bit too pricey for me anyways.

What number are you trying to run? and is that 1000rwhp through what trans setup?

I'm not really doing anything custom. everything so far has been off the shelf stuff. it will take machine work for everything to fit but thats about it. as for the fuel system we can get away with 1k on e85 and still be streetable If I wanted to cruise around. so thats still an option.

I'll be using my built 4r70w as my transmission with my 9" FTI converter. I used the same parts in my tranny build as the cobra guys with their twin turbo termi motors pushing well over 1k to the ground. mine should hold up fine.

now for 1/4 mile numbers. expect it to be like supra numbers. 12.9 @ 155 lol. just kidding. the pro-efi with its launch control will help produce some good e.t's. I'm assuming low 9's are what to be expected with my planned setup.
keep in mind the key words; assuming,expected and planned. things never work out like they should at first. til then i'm still waiting for the parts I ordered to show up so I can get the machine work done to the block and assemble the motor.

4 months later... I FINALLY dropped the 2001 block off at TEC, the machine shop. They are going to tear down the 2001 block. make sure its usable. I just pulled this from a mustang that overheated to badly that it melted the pistons and melted the heads. it was the only 01-04 block I could find locally so I tried it. I've got everything needed for this build. Hopefully after they clean it, deck it, and bore it the will tell me its a good usable block. with any luck it will be done in the next week to two weeks ready to be dropped into my ranger.

Back