Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Massive engine vibration after swap.

Massive engine vibration after swap.

Well, I got the 95 engine swapped in just fine on my 92, but I have a problem. I am getting massive amounts of engine vibration from 1500RPM on. Enough to shake the entire car. Motor mounts are good, so I thought it was the harmonic balancer. Swapped the old 92 one on and it was still doing it. This isn't a misfire, it's a full blown, rattle the change in the ashtray vibration. Never felt anything like it before. I used the flywheel that came on the engine, but I am starting to wonder if it's shot.

Weird thing is that if I hold my hand over the engine, I don't really feel much vibration, but I sure as hell feel it in the body.

Quote Originally Posted by DeanWinchester View Post
    Well, I got the 95 engine swapped in just fine on my 92, but I have a problem. I am getting massive amounts of engine vibration from 1500RPM on. Enough to shake the entire car. Motor mounts are good, so I thought it was the harmonic balancer. Swapped the old 92 one on and it was still doing it. This isn't a misfire, it's a full blown, rattle the change in the ashtray vibration. Never felt anything like it before. I used the flywheel that came on the engine, but I am starting to wonder if it's shot.

Weird thing is that if I hold my hand over the engine, I don't really feel much vibration, but I sure as hell feel it in the body.
    Sounds like something in the flywheel, clutch or pressure plate area.

David
    91 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple........10.92 @ 126.70
    93 SC AOD 347 Turbo.................10.04 @ 138.99
    My Garage

I thought the harmonic balancer was different between the 92 and 95.
    US Navy Veteran Retired
    "I've done so much with so little for so long that now I can do anything with nothing."

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage.p..._view&id=28414

Balancers are different but they are both 0 balanced.

The flywheels should both be 0 balanced also.

I had repaired a 95 SC where another mechanic put an 89 counterweighted flywhel on and it had a nice vibration right around 1500 RPM's .. fixed that by 0 balancing the flywheel.

Could also be driveline related .. was the driveshaft installed in the original position at the differential ?

- Dan

Yeah, I thought the 95 balancer is different too, but it's identical to my old 92. So this "95 motor" might be an older short block with all of the new stuff on top. It definitely has 95 heads, intake, blower, blue top fuel injectors, and accessories.

Not driveline related since it does it with the car sitting still. It has to be something wrong internally or the flywheel. I am done with the car, I am either going to part it out, or sell it dirt cheap. 3 engine pulls is my limit.

Yeah, I thought the 95 balancer is different too, but it's identical to my old 92. So this "95 motor" might be an older short block with all of the new stuff on top. It definitely has 95 heads, intake, blower, blue top fuel injectors, and accessories.

Not driveline related since it does it with the car sitting still. It has to be something wrong internally or the flywheel. I am done with the car, I am either going to part it out, or sell it dirt cheap. 3 engine pulls is my limit.
    well then pull the tranny and changed the suggested fly wheel clutch and pressure plate
    92 http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v...w_vehicle&id=8
    91 http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v...vehicle&id=228
    SCCoA Member #: 3641 Join Date: Oct 2006

Quote Originally Posted by XR7 Dave View Post
    Cool stuff isn't cool if your junk is still slow.

Quote Originally Posted by 92sclikenew View Post
    well then pull the tranny and changed the suggested fly wheel clutch and pressure plate
    Nope. I am done. If I pull one more part off from this car, it's going to be for parting it out. 3 engine pulls is my limit for any car.

Nope. I am done. If I pull one more part off from this car, it's going to be for parting it out. 3 engine pulls is my limit for any car.
    There is an old saw about if you don't do it right you get to do it over, so don't blame the car......just saying
    I don't think I have ever owned a car that was finished---unless it was totaled.

Where are you located?
    Honor, Grace and Dignity......Remember these

It sounds like somebody probably installed the wrong flywheel. But I don't know where you got the 95 engine, so I don't know if that is even possible.

I would suggest that you double-check the plug wire order at the coil pack, to rule out the really simple stuff.
    God bless!!!

1990 SC auto ... red outside, gray cloth inside ... ~180,000 miles (and climbing) ... driven daily!

Hmmm .. are you using the late model fuel injectors on a 1992 ??? Or did you put your original injectors on ?

- Dan

Your car wouldnt run wit the 95 balancer on it so whatever motor you have it was either in an earlier car in which stuff was swapped already or not a 95 engine. WhHat injectors are you using now?..Should be your 30lb red ones
    What do Turbo Supercoupes and a certain someone have in common. They both go "BOOM!"
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v...vehicle&id=110
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardoa1 View Post
    I love the filter. Its pimp. paper element and 10Mircron filtration, 12" long cause size matters.

Quote Originally Posted by old_coot View Post
    There is an old saw about if you don't do it right you get to do it over, so don't blame the car......just saying
    I am not a weekender mechanic, I did everything right on this car. First rebuild was done with a remanufactured crank, good rods, ARP hardware, and fel pro gaskets. All torque specs were followed, all clearances were fine. Second rebuild, I tore everything down, found nothing wrong, against my better judgement, I put in all new bearings and rebuilt it, only to have it start with a 2500RPM rod rattle. Then I went and heard the new engine run and it was in a 95 body car, I installed it and this BS happens. Tell me how I could have done anything differently.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofPrey97 View Post
    Where are you located?
    Kaufman, Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by S_Mazza View Post
    It sounds like somebody probably installed the wrong flywheel. But I don't know where you got the 95 engine, so I don't know if that is even possible.

I would suggest that you double-check the plug wire order at the coil pack, to rule out the really simple stuff.
    My guess as well, really the only thing that it can be. I have already double checked everything, just to be safe. I know the difference between an engine misfire and a vibration. Had a honda civic with a welded harmonic balancer and it acted just like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ddubb View Post
    Hmmm .. are you using the late model fuel injectors on a 1992 ??? Or did you put your original injectors on ?

- Dan
    They are the Dark Blue 36lbs injectors that came with the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by XxSlowpokexX View Post
    Your car wouldnt run wit the 95 balancer on it so whatever motor you have it was either in an earlier car in which stuff was swapped already or not a 95 engine. WhHat injectors are you using now?..Should be your 30lb red ones
    I know. My working theory is that the owner of this 95 car had a bottom end failure and got an 89 short block that is supposed to have the weighted flywheel, but they reused their 95 flywheel.

Injectors are the ones that came with the motor, dark blue 36lbs injectors.

you need to put the 30lb red injectors back on. Car wont run right with 36's
    What do Turbo Supercoupes and a certain someone have in common. They both go "BOOM!"
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v...vehicle&id=110
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardoa1 View Post
    I love the filter. Its pimp. paper element and 10Mircron filtration, 12" long cause size matters.

There you have it.

"I know. My working theory is that the owner of this 95 car had a bottom end failure and got an 89 short block that is supposed to have the weighted flywheel, but they reused their 95 flywheel. "

Don't pull the motor. Pull the Tranny and try the flywheel. But first chech the sizing on the pilot bearing. It could either by the wrong one. I forget but I think I remember SC's have needle bearing type not a bushing. What if the needles are gone. Since you got a cobbled together motor it could be anything.

Don't blame the car. JUST CAREFULLY RECHECK YOUR WORK, put on mechanics clothes, and take off that butcher apron you didn't know you got with that "95 motor". I always live by if I want something done right, I have to do it myself. Conversely if I did it and it's still need right, I just got a chance to learn something.
    90 5 speed. Owned since 4-91 it had 12,000 mi. Motor out since '99. I'm gonna fix it, really. Hoping for 450+ HP
    95 auto. owned since 03. Now a Daily driver the motor is in. It continues with electrical gremlins. I think in the PCM harness. Will be a daily driver. Expect 300 to 350 HP