Massive engine vibration after swap.

They are thinking that if there is excess fuel, it could be misfiring. I don't think it will make much difference TBH, I too am thinking flywheel.

The way you made it sound, the vibration occurs from 1500 RPMs on up.

When I was working on the 95 SC with the 89 counterweight flywheel ( apparently they are still out there ), the vibration was very evident at about 1500 RPM, if you held the throttle it would the cabin vibrate, but then it went away as the RPMs increased or decreased from that point. No way to tell unless you pull the flywheel off.

On the injectors .. yeah probably not that big to cause a misfire, but IDK .. they arent the correct injectors if youre trying to make all things normal.

- Dan

The way you made it sound, the vibration occurs from 1500 RPMs on up.

When I was working on the 95 SC with the 89 counterweight flywheel ( apparently they are still out there ), the vibration was very evident at about 1500 RPM, if you held the throttle it would the cabin vibrate, but then it went away as the RPMs increased or decreased from that point. No way to tell unless you pull the flywheel off.

On the injectors .. yeah probably not that big to cause a misfire, but IDK .. they arent the correct injectors if youre trying to make all things normal.

- Dan

At idle, no vibration. At 1500RPM, some vibration, at 2000 it hits resonance and shakes the entire cabin. Seems to smooth out some at 3K.

That sucks to have to pull the engine so many times. If it was me, and I decided to fix it....I would probably pull the engine one more time just in case. I would pull the flywheel off and have the balanced checked. Just in case that didn't fix it, you have the engine out to check the balancer or the crank for 0 balance. If you can't find the problem at that point, at least you have the engine out ready for parting!

chris

At idle, no vibration. At 1500RPM, some vibration, at 2000 it hits resonance and shakes the entire cabin. Seems to smooth out some at 3K.

I just went through this with my car. The pressure plate got trashed and went out of center by about 1/2 inch. It acted just like you are describing. It shook the car so bad that I snapped the mounting ear clean from the oil pan, I lost a couple transmission bolts and the starter bolts both loosened up and started to back out.

You will definitely be pulling your transmission because it is your flywheel or pressure plate that are out of balance. Nothing else can cause this kind of vibration.

And a few more things some of which are mentioned already.

1. Engine mounts: Did you use the mounts from the '95 engine or did you reuse the '92's? What is the build date of your car (listed in the driver's door jamb)? Reason I ask is that mid-year of 1992 Ford changed the K-frame and engine mounts for our cars. If you have an early '92 car and you squeezed the later style mounts onto your K-frame during the engine install, you will get some vibration due to the mounts not being seated as they should. We made that mistake the first time, using the '92 mounts in his '94. He ran that way for a year and there was body vibration but the engine didn't seem that rough. We changed out the mounts to the original '94's and the vibrations subsided.

2. Injectors: Already mentioned, take off the '95 engine's fuel injectors and replace them with your original '92's. This is the size injector your EEC is expecting to run.

3. Harmonic balancer and timing cover: Double check what you installed. It should be a balancer for a '92 engine, with its respective timing cover and crank position sensor. The pre-94 SC engines had a different crank position sensor. I may be wrong but I don't think you can run a '95 balancer/timing cover/crank position sensor with the '92 EEC. I know I had to replace these on my '92 engine to run it in my son's car.

Back