New ARC Shocks

XxSlowpokexX

Wouldnt it be nice if one of our parts people had a talking to lets say, Tokico, and had them offer the illumina shocks with good performance valving? I'd definitely buy

Well you know SCPI has the Tokico Illumina II which I have. I ran them at Road Atlanta and the car stayed very flat thru all the corners and I had almost no body roll. I'm real happy with them even though I don't use the ARC anymore. They are a bit firmer than stock at both settings.

Well you know SCPI has the Tokico Illumina II which I have. I ran them at Road Atlanta and the car stayed very flat thru all the corners and I had almost no body roll. I'm real happy with them even though I don't use the ARC anymore. They are a bit firmer than stock at both settings.

I have heard they are softer on soft and firmer on firm.

I question the tokicos as is. Very soft on soft and questionable on firm. It be nice to get real performance valving. I recall someone actually testing the shocks and they wernt balanced

It's my understanding that the Tokico 1.25" lowered springs and the Illumina II shocks were designed to used together. I've been very pleased. I run mine on firm all the time plus I've got several 'body stiffeners' in place.

I have heard they are softer on soft and firmer on firm.
It has been a very long time since I made the switch from factory shocks to Tokicos, but I remember the soft setting still being firmer than the same setting on the stock shocks. The front was more floaty on the soft setting than factory, but I'm pretty sure that was due to my switch to 1.5" lowering Eibach springs at the same time...a lot of people complained about the floatiness of the progressive rate Eibach springs.

Well you know SCPI has the Tokico Illumina II which I have.

Really ? I just bought some lowering springs and air bags a few weeks ago from Bill, but didn't even think to check with him on the shocks. When I called shox.com they told me there was a national backorder for the Tokico shock, so I just kept the stock shocks on the car.

David

It's my understanding that the Tokico 1.25" lowered springs and the Illumina II shocks were designed to used together. I've been very pleased. I run mine on firm all the time plus I've got several 'body stiffeners' in place.
With the drop, there is 1.25" less travel to get the job done, so it ends up requiring a much stiffer spring and hence a stiffer ride. I run on soft around town and the ride is noticibly harsher than in my other SCs. I think I prefer it, but my wife complains about it. :rolleyes:

On my red car, also with tokicos but with normal springs, the ride is much more comfortable, but still not very soft.

there was a national backorder for the Tokico shock, so I just kept the stock shocks on the car.

David
The stock shocks are probably not even stock shocks. If you ever replaced them (almost a sure thing) you probably used a motorcraft AMG-xxxx part which is sort of a universal Arc shock replacement for all year SCs. However, they changed the valving thru the years, so it not quite the same. I have the AMG-xxxx on the front of my 90 car with stock shocks on the rear.. it is bouncier in the front... I don't paticularly like it, but it is the smoothest ride of all my SCs.

Last edited:
It has been a very long time since I made the switch from factory shocks to Tokicos, but I remember the soft setting still being firmer than the same setting on the stock shocks. The front was more floaty on the soft setting than factory, but I'm pretty sure that was due to my switch to 1.5" lowering Eibach springs at the same time...a lot of people complained about the floatiness of the progressive rate Eibach springs.

I had linear S/T springs with them and overall felt floatier then factory with tokicos

I dont know about all that, but I like my Tokicos. If anyone is interested currently with an order of 10 sets they can be had for about $425 shipped to your door. The sets are 399, but I have to ship them from my place and guessing the shipping is going to be about $25 for a set of 4.

I had linear S/T springs with them and overall felt floatier then factory with tokicos

I have the S/T linears and Tokicos and I find them stiffer than stock on both settings...pretty happy with the setup...I can out handle my buddies 2007 shelby GT and i have a smoother ride

if I recall correctly, wasn't the complaint also that the Tokicos did not last as long as the OEM motorcraft shocks?

I have the Illumina IIs, which I put on about 60k miles ago. They feel mostly like stock, and they are holding up well. I like the ride in general, although the SC has always been a little stiff over sharp bumps.

They should have a lifetime warranty standard with them. If your vendor won't back that up call Tokico directly. (Yes, I know their HQ is over seas, but they have US offices)

Literally just got off the phone with Kevin in the warranty department at Tokico USA and they say their warranty is only good for two years and that is against manufacture defects. He says that the "limited" is truly limited by time not by ownership. That said, I guess I will get some KYB GR-2s since there are so many issues related to Tokico reliability and consistency between shocks.

Back