exhaust setup

Tedor

I have a 91, is it worth 260 dollars (which it costs here in sweden for a 92 tank) to do the swap to the 92 tank? Will the sound change or the flow?

What about mufflers and resonators? Resonator in the middle and mufflers in the back?

I´m running headers...

Thank you

I never noticed any sound change. The drone came after removing the resonator, but that was solved by installing a magnaflo 2.5 dual in and 2.5 dual out.

I have a 91, is it worth 260 dollars (which it costs here in sweden for a 92 tank) to do the swap to the 92 tank? Will the sound change or the flow?

What about mufflers and resonators? Resonator in the middle and mufflers in the back?

I´m running headers...

Thank you

No...I don't think it's worth much if anything in the power making department. You can make well over 400 rwhp using an early model fuel tank exhaust system.

David

I think late model tank is 1 gal less than early...so save little weight there...and it is easier to run dual piping through late model tank

those are generally the benefits

Thanks for your input. One resonator and two mufflers at the end, is that the way to go for best performance and sound?

the least drone seems to occur in the two in one out resonator then split back to two after the rear. You can fit a single 3.5" off the rsonator out to the back an dthen sp,it it off into two 2.5" pipes

Basically (2) 2.5" into resonator (1) 3.5" out which will split into (2) 2.5" in the rear.

Best for early model tank in my opinion. Stick to Borla mufflers for sound quality

I say yes to the newer tank because your exhaust will be a lot easier to route. The new one basically allows the exhaust straight through, the early one you have to do a 90 degree bend just to make it around.

Basically (2) 2.5" into resonator (1) 3.5" out which will split into (2) 2.5" in the rear.

I'm pretty sure you won't be able to route a 3.5 inch pipe around an early style tank. If you do, it will be so horribly disfigured that you will most likely end up with 2.75 inch choke points.

I'm pretty sure you won't be able to route a 3.5 inch pipe around an early style tank. If you do, it will be so horribly disfigured that you will most likely end up with 2.75 inch choke points.

I agree, that a 3.5" center pipe would be a very tight fit. Mine had a 3" mandrell bent center pipe with the early model tank. When switching to long tube headers and a much bigger exhaust I also switched to a late model tank...BTW it gained zero HP.

Tedor,

This thread has some pics of the old vs new exhaust that shows the center pipe routing differince.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95404&highlight=stainless+exhaust

David

I had a 3.5 inch in one of my older sc's. Mandrel bent. If you went with compression bends im sure it would be disfigured

I agree, that a 3.5" center pipe would be a very tight fit. Mine had a 3" mandrell bent center pipe with the early model tank. When switching to long tube headers and a much bigger exhaust I also switched to a late model tank...BTW it gained zero HP.

Tedor,

This thread has some pics of the old vs new exhaust that shows the center pipe routing differince.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95404&highlight=stainless+exhaust

David

I still find it strange that you got 0 benefit from the new exhaust as it really flows only as well as its 3" or less choke point.

I still find it strange that you got 0 benefit from the new exhaust as it really flows only as well as its 3" or less choke point.

Probably helping now that I've got a 4.2 motor, bigger cam and whipple supercharger. Just wasn't holding me back on the old 3.8 motor with 1.7 AR.

David

I just remember seeing someone mutilate a 3 inch pipe trying to get it around the old style tank. And knowing how tight this 3.5 inch pipe was on my new style tank, I wouldn't even attempt it on the old style.

exhaustf.jpg

Back