Thread: How do I fix the peeling black tape on my doors?

How do I fix the peeling black tape on my doors?

Most older SCís have a problem with the tape material on the doors cracking
    and peeling over the years. The best way to fix this is to order the factory
    replacement tape from Ford. The part number is E9SZ6320000A9G.

I found that on both of my cars, it was better to remove the old tape, clean the surface very good, lightly sand (400 grit I think I used) and paint that area. If you do the prep work correctly, and use a quality spray paint, you will never have to worry about that area again.

I am thinking of that repair for mine, as well.......

But I think Ford put that tape on there to protect the door from scratching when you got in and out of the car......

I carefully peeled off the tape with goof-off adhesive remover, and then gave the area a good washing, and then after it dried, applied some quality wax, and it looks great!

Black Tape Door Post Treatment

Try using a heat gun to gently warm the old tape and it practically falls off the door into your hand. Use some pure denatured alcohol to remove leftover adhesive.
    some folks like painted appearance, but it destroys the all black look of the side window area.

I found a black plastic material used by outdoor sign companies for lettering that sticks well to the door and has a better gloss than the Ford applique material. One roll will do approx. 25 cars and it only cost 14.00
    Trying to imitate a 455 Olds with a Ford isn't easy, but it gives me a lot to think about.
    ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.

I just used the TCCOA tech article to repaint mine with bumper coating and it worked like a charm. Here is the link http://tccoa.com/articles/exterior/trimchip.html