Kooks headers - blah. FMIC - blah. MP Plenum, not so Blah anymore...

Those injectors are cheap Chinese knock offs that barely work at all.

David

yep. I'm just hoping once I load the sct value file for the sd 60's and apply the correction factor for my mafia I will solve a whole lot of drivability issues I have. I haven't enjoyed this car for a very long time because of these issues.

Ok, so to keep this thread on track....... ;)

As promised I took the car to the track to back up the dyno #'s. I was hoping for very low 13's or maybe even a 12.9 but it just didn't happen. The car ran great, traction was really good, and air was decent. DA was 1900 ft though.

I found I was bogging off the line even with a full throttle 3000rpm launch. I really needed to raise launch rpm but I kinda chickened out I guess. Best 60ft was in the low 1.9's. I didn't want to break an axle right now.

Before anyone starts bugging about 5spds and their axles, I just have to say that I killed every car I launched against tonight. I ran a GN (he dialed 13.7 against my 13.8) and I had him by .2 seconds at the 1/8 mile. I was so far in front of him I thought for sure there was no way he could catch me so I pulled an Anthony Arnold and lifted (I NEVER lift). What a mistake. He passed me with about 10ft to go. Note to self: Never lift.

I also raced an '11 Camaro SS auto and we were neck and neck. I pulled him off the line and he ended up reeling me in on the top end by a tenth. Keep in mind he's got a 400hp V8 and an automatic.

So what does all this mean? Well, 300rwhp didn't amount to 12's. My car is full weight mind you, including 18" front wheels, moonroof, leather interior, JBL sound system, A/C, and big azz 1 3/8" sway bars front and back. Likely right at 4000lbs race weight. But the motor probably is making close to 400hp at the flywheel since the Camaro and XR7 weigh about the same. BE in the datalogs estimates 420hp so I think that's a pretty reasonable guess.

Keep in mind I'm not overdriving the blower at all yet and the processor is telling me that we are seeing "only" about 150% VE. ACT's never went over 105 deg all night. So far so good.

Next step is going to be to add an MP plenum and see if the blower is being choked at the moment. Then we'll try some OD and see if there's a 12 in there somewhere.

At this point I think the car is holding it's own well against similar cars, same track, same conditions. We drover there, had some fun, and drove home. This is how it's supposed to be.

:)

Sorry, guess I forgot to say exactly what it did run.

13.70 @ 101 was my best time. I'm using MT ET Drag slicks, 26 x 8.5". I can't say enough good things about these tires. They are a little small for a high powered car but they are perfect for someone running 12-13's. I was overpowering them with Ira's car running 12.0's, but on this car they are perfect.

Ok, so to keep this thread on track....... ;)

As promised I took the car to the track to back up the dyno #'s. I was hoping for very low 13's or maybe even a 12.9 but it just didn't happen. The car ran great, traction was really good, and air was decent. DA was 1900 ft though.

I found I was bogging off the line even with a full throttle 3000rpm launch. I really needed to raise launch rpm but I kinda chickened out I guess. Best 60ft was in the low 1.9's. I didn't want to break an axle right now.

Before anyone starts bugging about 5spds and their axles, I just have to say that I killed every car I launched against tonight. I ran a GN (he dialed 13.7 against my 13.8) and I had him by .2 seconds at the 1/8 mile. I was so far in front of him I thought for sure there was no way he could catch me so I pulled an Anthony Arnold and lifted (I NEVER lift). What a mistake. He passed me with about 10ft to go. Note to self: Never lift.

I also raced an '11 Camaro SS auto and we were neck and neck. I pulled him off the line and he ended up reeling me in on the top end by a tenth. Keep in mind he's got a 400hp V8 and an automatic.

So what does all this mean? Well, 300rwhp didn't amount to 12's. My car is full weight mind you, including 18" front wheels, moonroof, leather interior, JBL sound system, A/C, and big azz 1 3/8" sway bars front and back. Likely right at 4000lbs race weight. But the motor probably is making close to 400hp at the flywheel since the Camaro and XR7 weigh about the same. BE in the datalogs estimates 420hp so I think that's a pretty reasonable guess.

Keep in mind I'm not overdriving the blower at all yet and the processor is telling me that we are seeing "only" about 150% VE. ACT's never went over 105 deg all night. So far so good.

Next step is going to be to add an MP plenum and see if the blower is being choked at the moment. Then we'll try some OD and see if there's a 12 in there somewhere.

At this point I think the car is holding it's own well against similar cars, same track, same conditions. We drover there, had some fun, and drove home. This is how it's supposed to be.

:)

Never lift!!!! It cost me an 11 second time slip and now cost you a race!!!!

This one happens to have a properly built bottom end and some ported heads/mild cam that I decided would have to do for now.

This one is your daily driver type with 210 dur on the cam. It's actually too mild for my liking, but drivabiliy sure is nice

These wouldn't happen to be my old heads and cam would they?

Never lift!!!! It cost me an 11 second time slip and now cost you a race!!!!

Yes, makes me mad. Although I still couldn't have won because he had an .035 light and I had a .096, and he was only .04 off his dial so I lost at the light. Still, I could have at least broken out and beat him to the line. I should have known by all the "Thompson Raceway winner" stickers on his window that he was going to be dead nuts on his dial. Oh well. :eek:

Mike, no it's not those. That motor is still sitting on my shop floor staring ominously at me.

Did a little math on the ET because I'm a little bummed about the 13.7 @ 101. Back when I ran 13.2 @ 103mph with the XR7 I was making about the same power and had very similar parts (ported late model blower with stock plenum, etc.). But when I think about it I realize that I had performed some weight reduction on the XR7. For example, I had 16" wheels on the old XR7 vs. 18" on the new one, and I had removed the front sway bar on the old car vs. this car actually has the big monster heavy 1 3/8 bars. Then this car has a moon roof whereas the other one doesn't, and this car has dual power seats whereas the other one didn't. The other car also didn't have A/C.

If you consider that there is most likely a 250lb difference between the two cars (and I've gained a few pounds also!), and the times vs. HP levels are actually just about identical. I'm calculating 295rwhp on both using the 1/4 mile times.

Time for some upgrades. :D

Did a little math on the ET because I'm a little bummed about the 13.7 @ 101. Back when I ran 13.2 @ 103mph with the XR7 I was making about the same power and had very similar parts (ported late model blower with stock plenum, etc.). But when I think about it I realize that I had performed some weight reduction on the XR7. For example, I had 16" wheels on the old XR7 vs. 18" on the new one, and I had removed the front sway bar on the old car vs. this car actually has the big monster heavy 1 3/8 bars. Then this car has a moon roof whereas the other one doesn't, and this car has dual power seats whereas the other one didn't. The other car also didn't have A/C.

If you consider that there is most likely a 250lb difference between the two cars (and I've gained a few pounds also!), and the times vs. HP levels are actually just about identical. I'm calculating 295rwhp on both using the 1/4 mile times.

Time for some upgrades. :D

It sounds similar to what I was running at the shootout with the anniversary. I can use all of of your weight disadvantage excuses on that car also, minus the sway bar since those are stock. Making just over 300 whp the day before. Speeds were 101-103

Im glad a change of IC shortly after fixed my problem.

So what are Phils track times?

I wouldn't say those are excuses. I just want to be sure that my dyno #'s and track numbers are reasonable for the mods I have. Once I'm confident that my track times are reflecting my dyno #'s, then I feel good about upgrading. I don't want to start upgrading and not be getting full potential out of the combo at each level first. I know that the 13.7 is leaving a little on the table due to a conservative launch and a high DA, so most likely the car could eek out a 13.5 under better conditions and a more aggressive driving technique but I'm going to go ahead and move on right now. I want to have the car into the low 12's before the Shootout so I can't spend too much time at each point.

First thing I'm going to do is put on the MP plenum and 85mm TB. I'm going to dyno it like that and then put on a 10% pulley before going back to the track. I want to document the power gains as well as track times.

I'll let Phil post his own track #'s (and his list of "excuses"). lol

I was just trying to relate to your findings. And maybe support your numbers.

Those small weight difference details go unoticed sometimes. Specially when we try to compare timeslips with the best in the club.

DD

I like the idea of you revisiting a buildup.

In todays economy, it's good to see this type of info being made available to new members.

Staged builds can be done on a budget when done properly.

I spent countless hours going back thru previous posts with technology changing before my eyes as I tried to understand all the concepts.

Bringing it forward helps everybody. It's Real Time.

Keep posting.

Paul

My car is full weight mind you, including 18" front wheels, moonroof, leather interior, JBL sound system, A/C, and big azz 1 3/8" sway bars front and back. Likely right at 4000lbs race weight.

Time to put that car on a diet. Is that number with you in the car?

I'm not planning to put the car on a diet. This car is purely a street cruiser and I'm only really working on making some power with it and documenting how it runs to back up the dyno sheets. I know I said I have a goal of low 12's, but I plan to do that without reducing weight or comfort. I will probably add some weight with chassis bracing at some point.

My other purpose is to get some practice in so that I don't totally and entirely succumb to old age. :rolleyes:

The SWB, whenever I get to it, will get a different sort of treatment. ;)

Back