Kooks headers - blah. FMIC - blah. MP Plenum, not so Blah anymore...

Dave,

Why don't you put that billet crank you've been holding onto to good use, and build yourself a real tire burner ? I think 600 rwhp is just about perfect for the street.

David

Good question. The answer starts with whenever Stef's gets back to me about the modifications to the custom oil pan I had to get made for it. Hopefully we've gone through our final revision there and a production ready piece will be available soon.

In the mean time, I put a 10% pulley on this one and now I can no longer dyno in 3rd gear due to wheel spin. :( Best guess is that it makes about 360rwtq and about 320rwhp now (dyno chart is goofy). I do know that boost is way up - 17psi now. I think I'm starting to see signs of the Mp plenum not keeping up anymore though. I think we've about gotten to the end of this motor, power potential speaking. Not enough cam, not enough blower, not enough anything. :cool:

But it runs darn nice though and it makes lots of noise. :p

With all this talk of maxing out the flow of a MP elbow...has Charles thought of offering a MP Extreme elbow or something similar?

Good question. The answer starts with whenever Stef's gets back to me about the modifications to the custom oil pan I had to get made for it. Hopefully we've gone through our final revision there and a production ready piece will be available soon.

In the mean time, I put a 10% pulley on this one and now I can no longer dyno in 3rd gear due to wheel spin. :( Best guess is that it makes about 360rwtq and about 320rwhp now (dyno chart is goofy). I do know that boost is way up - 17psi now. I think I'm starting to see signs of the Mp plenum not keeping up anymore though. I think we've about gotten to the end of this motor, power potential speaking. Not enough cam, not enough blower, not enough anything. :cool:

Dave,

Are you doing anything with the main bearing caps (like Kevin), or do you plan to use a girdle ?

David

Why not put an LS-X engine in an SC? That would be a nice project and a great power plant for our SC. There are folks putting them in Fox body mustangs. I wonder if any of those transplant parts from the kit would work in our cars?

Why not put an LS-X engine in an SC? That would be a nice project and a great power plant for our SC. There are folks putting them in Fox body mustangs. I wonder if any of those transplant parts from the kit would work in our cars?

Why? Because I don't love my SC that much. If I wanted an LS motor I'd just do the easy thing and buy a GM (which I have done before). I may by dense, but not that dense.

I meant "be". :) Seriously, I don't mind changing a lot of things on the SC to make it better or different than originally produced, but putting an LS or even a new Coyote in one is just not an idea I would entertain. I'd rather just buy a car with one already in there if I were so inclined.

I don't have anything against the LS motors, but I'm having a good time with the pushrod V6 and the SC. If I wanted to work on one of the V8's I'd buy a car with one it it. I could have a lot of fun with a GTO.

You lost me. I have no desire for that at all. If I drive one of those (I have) then it would be a V8 (it was).

I like my car for what it is. Making it faster is good. But for the record, I do enjoy driving my car at it's current power level. I like the fact that it could pass for stock. Well, other than all the noise, which is a totally different issue. :rolleyes:

If I did a GM it would be a GTO or maybe a G8. But I won't so it doesn't matter.

why not put an ls-x engine in an sc? That would be a nice project and a great power plant for our sc. There are folks putting them in fox body mustangs. I wonder if any of those transplant parts from the kit would work in our cars?

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

It's been done (non-SC, though). http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1213113-1997-thunderbird-gen-iii-budget-engine-swap.html

And Dave is right. You can pick up an LS1 F-body now in decent shape for $5k. That seems a lot easier than putting an LS in an MN12 platform.

With that said, as the owner of a 99 Z28 and an SC, I'll say the SC is a better car. The Z28 is a better autocross car, but when it's not racing it's a piece of crap.

I don't care what any of you say. The SC is still the most comfortable and best handling touring car out there at any power level! All any extra power does it make it a better, noisier?.. street cruiser ;)

Ira

Ira, isn't your slower red-burgandy whatever car so much less stressfull and fun. 300 whp cruiser FTMFW.

It's been a little while now and so it's time for another update. After the last dyno session with the MP inlet and and 10% pulley it's running better but I still find it boring. I went to the track tonight and despite lousy air managed a 13.195 @ 103.47, so clearly it's making more power. It still bogs off the line though and I'm nervous about breaking an axle. Managed a 1.78 60 ft, but there is more in it if I pick up the launch rpm. Right now we're managing about 3500rpm. I'm also having a problem where the 3.27's just suck. I'm at 6000rpm in 3rd going through the traps which the whole thing just doesn't like. I'd prefer to be in the 5500-5700rpm range.

I'm thinking about putting the 28" tires on it and trying some skinnies to see if I can run a 12.99. With some better weather, it just might do it.

I realize that doesnt' seem impressive, but this is truly a full street trim, fully loaded XR7. If it weighed like my wife's XR7 we would be running 12.90's all day.

Back