Thread: Pulling the engine and noticed

Pulling the engine and noticed

something very funny. So I knew the engine mounts were bad but exactly how bad I wasn't sure until tonight. I removed the lower intercooler tube and noticed some very strange impressions or grooves on the underside of the tube. My first reaction was that it was rubbing on the frame. Nope. The ribbed insulator that shields the battery cables was wearing grooves into the IC tube. Now I know aluminum is soft but this ribbed shielding is made of plastic. I am lucky the IC tube didn't wear through the battery cable. It would have been one hell of a light show. LOL
    Last edited by 90sc35thann; 04-24-2012 at 09:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by 90sc35thann View Post
    something very funny. So I knew the engine mounts were bad but exactly how bad I wasn't sure until tonight. I removed the lower intercooler tube and noticed some very strange impressions or grooves on the underside of the tube. My first reaction was that it was rubbing on the frame. Nope. The ribbed insulator that shields the battery cables was wearing grooves into the IC tube. Now I know aluminum is soft but this ribbed shielding is made of plastic. I am lucky the IC tube didn't wear through the battery cable. It would have been one hell of a light show. LOL
    You got lucky..usually the power steering hose rubs a hole through the oil pan first. I can't believe that Ford ever put those gel filled mounts on this car...they are complete garbage.

David
    91 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple........10.92 @ 126.70
    93 SC AOD 347 Turbo.................10.04 @ 138.99
    My Garage