starter engagement issues

It sounds like the starter ring on the flywheel might not be in the correct position....

I like using the clay idea....:cool:

I tried the clay trick..it engaged for a sec then spins. I changed the battery, solenoid and the same thing. I am completely stumped. When I start the car the volts go from 12.0 to 9.8...does that sound right?
Thanks
ken

I tried the clay trick..it engaged for a sec then spins. I changed the battery, solenoid and the same thing. I am completely stumped. When I start the car the volts go from 12.0 to 9.8...does that sound right?
Thanks
ken

A little low. You should have about 12.5 no load on the batt and depending on the cranking amp rating is usually in the 10's somewhere when starting.

It sounds to me like the bendix (the part that moves the pinion out to contact the flywheel) on the strarter is bad. Try installing a new starter

You won't believe this.........the motor was spinning. I could not see it from the car. Last night I had a friend come over to look at it and it was turning. I have no compression, that is due to the stud mounted rocker arms being too tight and the valves are open all the time.:mad: Now I have to redo the rocker arms. I hate stud mount rocker arms. I don't have this much trouble with my bolt down rockers. I should have the car done by Monday.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Ken

Back