Now running

Ryan A Harris

So today I got a chance to finish up bolting everything together after the swap. I made good time, and started it up. Had some small issues to tackle, like the bolt in the thermostat housing needed to be in(coolant shot everywhere:eek:). The HAYNES manual I have had the plug wires going to the wrong position on the coil pack( I told you so Al). I had to check here to see: http://www.35thatr.org/Tips/PlugsandWires.htm . Once I got those issues tackled, I only was pulling about 8 in vaccum. So I shut her down & tighten up & checked all my connections. After that I started it back up and was pulling 10-11 vaccum.:confused: I'm not sure if the cause is the cam, or if I have a air leak somewhere. I ran out of brake cleaner to help me check that out. When the car is shut off, the boost gauge goes back to zero, so I'm not sure now. One little issue that I will have to tackle when time permits me to is a leaky thermostat housing, man I had those things.

On the weekend I will probably pull the SC off, to get at the housing really well, then I will also be able to check all IC connections really well at the same time.

So far, no driving at this stage, but it's really close.:D

Last edited:
So my manual was wrong and yours was wrong differently. Certs is a breath mint AND a candy mint. I looked in the same manual that Coleman has and it is correct. I guess it comes down to which printing run you get. Oh well.
Alan

most likely you are getting just 10lb of vacuum because of the cam. I think my car reads even less at idle.
Good job anyways, sounds like you are steps away from finishing it up.
Where are you taking it for tuning?

Yeah, Fraser will be my tuner once I'm running. Drew just let me know that my vac reading is about what it was for him with this set up in his car.

I won't have time until Sunday to finish this up it looks like. Then I need to put on some KM's to make sure she's all good, then Fraser's help will be needed.

guys still using haynes manual.:eek:
rtv on both side of gasket, tighten bolt, rtv to dry overnight. do not over tighten therostat housing.

Those dam thermostat housings bend all the time.They are easy to fix though.:D Nickey's car with her cam doesn't pull much vacuum either.I'm going to add a couple of vacuum balls and some T splices to help it.

Up & running now, fixed all the little issue today. I'm pretty happy with the results so far with this set up. I will have to get a tune ASAP, seems to have some trouble holding the idle every once in a while. Drove about 20 km's once all buttoned up, not fast yet, again I think that's related to the tune. But vaccum was good at cruise, oil pressure was good at cruise & idle. :):D:D

I'll have to get a hold of Fraser now for his "magic" to be worked on this beast.

Back