My "new" Super Coupe

potshotscott

I had a 93 LX way back - I bought it new in 1993. I sold it around 2000 because I needed a van as my wife and I were starting a family. I had wanted an SC back when I bought the LX but didn't buy one - not sure why either...

Well, I got the bug again - visiting SCCOA.com from time to time and I started looking on Craigs. I finally found one! I live in Oregon. The car I bought was in Reno, NV. The seller was basically the first owner (it was his dad's car) and he was interested in selling it to someone who would appreciate it.

My dad and I drove down to Reno on Friday, stayed the night, and bought it after looking at it a whole 20 minutes. I can't believe how straight, clean, and functional the car is! After driving it home from Reno it has a little over 77K on it, looks and runs terrific and is a kick to drive. It's amazing to find a car in this good of shape.

Now to head over to the powertrain forums and figure out what is popping this code 214 in the computer from time to time...

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3165/tbird001.jpg
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/84/tbird002.jpg
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/6524/tbird003.jpg

Nice find. Auto or Manual? 214 I think that is the cam sensor. Flat cap thing basically right below the blower snout tilted off to the passenger side. Make sure its plugged in and the wires aren't chaffed from the belt. If thats all good replace it they are cheap and easy. Search on here for it and check to make sure the sycronizer is set up right while you have the sensor cap off.

Thanks for the 214 help. I joined the SCCOA and read a LOT about the cam sensor last night. The car is an automatic. I'm going to place an order for the sensor today. I'm feeling fairly confident in replacing it. I'm no mechanic but I did spend 5 years in the Navy as an avionics guy on airplanes. If it has wires I'm pretty comfortable. I may be sending you a PM about this synchronizer business.

When the CEL is NOT on the car runs like an absolute champ. CEL on it idles a little rough and pings a bit if you go wide open throttle (which I'm avoiding while the code is set).

Thanks for the nice comments you guys. I'm feeling pretty dang fortunate - the inside of the car looks as good as the outside. The back seat looks like it's never been sat in.

Thanks for the 214 help. I joined the SCCOA and read a LOT about the cam sensor last night. The car is an automatic. I'm going to place an order for the sensor today. I'm feeling fairly confident in replacing it. I'm no mechanic but I did spend 5 years in the Navy as an avionics guy on airplanes. If it has wires I'm pretty comfortable. I may be sending you a PM about this synchronizer business.

When the CEL is NOT on the car runs like an absolute champ. CEL on it idles a little rough and pings a bit if you go wide open throttle (which I'm avoiding while the code is set).

Thanks for the nice comments you guys. I'm feeling pretty dang fortunate - the inside of the car looks as good as the outside. The back seat looks like it's never been sat in.

It's an easy fix, just unplug the sensor and remove the two retaining screws with a 7/32" socket, then swap sensors and put it back together. No adjustment is required. It only takes a few minutes if the motor is cool and you don't drop one of the screws. The part in this picture with the caution label is the cam position sensor.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49222&d=1310405825

David

Dude! Pictures really ARE worth a thousand words. Thanks for the reference. There are several choices here - I'm thinking Delphi. Do any of you have an OE replacement suggestion? I'm about to order this afternoon.

I got this beauty for under $4000.00 if you can believe it. The seller knew right away that I was going to treasure this car and keep it well. I was very appreciative and thankful to the seller that's for sure.

Nice I saw this one on one of the forums and considered getting it, but obviously I didn't as I couldn't get the money for the car and the trip together in time. Congrats to you you have a beautiful car there keep us posted if you are going to modify it.

Back