Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: big block install

big block install

here are some pic's of what you need to put a big block in one of these cars.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Too many cars,too little time to drive them. Anything less than 500 cubes is a small block. If you slow down in life you will get run over..

What are the mounts for???

more pic's

more to look at..
    Too many cars,too little time to drive them. Anything less than 500 cubes is a small block. If you slow down in life you will get run over..

and more

will explaim when done

still more

takes forever...

almost done

just a few more.

some info now..

The mounts on this engine were from a f350 4x2 from 1986. That is the part that is on the block. The mounts to the frame are custom made. You can see how the pan was made to clear the steering. Speaking of steering you can see on one pic how I replaced the rag joint with a "U"joint as well as how I got rid of the power brake booster. As you go thru these you can see where the one tube had to be modded to clear the steering. With the exceptions of a couple of dents the rest of the headers just slip right in place. There is a pic of two engine mounts the layout for them would be as if you were standing in front of the carand looking back.
    Feel free to ask anything else. This info is way over due and for that I say I am sorry. There have been a lot of people who have asked/tried/and done this swap as well....Rich

I wanna see track vids.

SWS

Did Muhammad Ali weld those headers up for you?
    1994 SC
    4.5L Twin Turbo SVO
    Project GTFD

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by CMac89 View Post
    Did Muhammad Ali weld those headers up for you?
    No that was something that was done just to get the fit. The ones that were put in the car look better than that. When you are just working to fit things together you do and use whatever you have around..
    Other than that welding, how does the rest of the stuff look???.........Rich

I think it looks good. Are those Kaase heads? What's done to the motor?

You wanna sell me those LCA's from your k-member?
    1994 SC
    4.5L Twin Turbo SVO
    Project GTFD

Smile that's a 557 cu in

Quote Originally Posted by CMac89 View Post
    I think it looks good. Are those Kaase heads? What's done to the motor?

You wanna sell me those LCA's from your k-member?
    Yes, those are a set of John's heads, they go good with the rest of his engine. That engine is a full on big block. There is not much else that you could do to that one. I am not sure if that engine will be going back into a S.C. or if it will find it's way into another project.
    Now as for the lca's, sorry they have to stay in that car. Have you tried to see if AJE would build you a set? That is where that set up came from....Rich

very cool rich, thanks for sharing. Did you have to modify the pickup at all for that pan mod? I seem to recall but can't find it, did you ever come up with a weight difference between a BB vs the blown 3.8? Is it significant enough to need different front springs?

Smile no weight gain here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike8675309 View Post
    very cool rich, thanks for sharing. Did you have to modify the pickup at all for that pan mod? I seem to recall but can't find it, did you ever come up with a weight difference between a BB vs the blown 3.8? Is it significant enough to need different front springs?
    The really nice thing about this combo is the weight is less than the 3.8 S.C. setup. When you use all the good stuff you can save 86 pounds. Now before everyone goes off on this you must keep in mind all the STOCK S.C. parts that are gone. Just add up the weight of the sc,coolers,tubes, and stock exhaust stuff that is no longer here.
    When I built one of the early cars I took every part off the car and put it on the scale to see. I was worried that this setup would be heavy but was surprised when the total weights came in. The total was 86 pounds less than what I put back in the hole... Now to keep everything on the up and up, I am sure that there were a few nuts and bolts that got missed. I also know that the transmission did add some more weight back into the car. These C6's are not as light as the aod's it replaced.
    All in all these make a good choice if you want to go fast for cheap. There are plenty of big block kits out there that will give you 600 to 800 hp and still be very streetable. You can even get crate engines from Ford that are ready to go with this much power as well.
    You asked about the pickup. That was custom made to fit the oil pan that I had made to fit the car. That oil pan is 12 1/2 quarts with a griddle and a windage tray built in. Speaking of that oil pickup, that is what cost me an engine a few years ago at the shoot out. That one was a two peice one that broke and I lost oil pressure and a lot more when I got inside it. Now this pickup is all one peice so I no longer should have that issue....Rich

You need to add blue spray paint to the list of items you need.
    SCCoA Member #247
    Hardcore TBU #5 (in tow)