SC Experts Needed

Rollinthunder

As you can see this is my first post here. I currently reside at the TCCOA forums with a DOHC 95 Bird. I do not own an SC but I used to have a 90 SC a long time ago til my mother wrecked it. That car was alot of fun but I really didnt know what I had at the time. I've been having a problem with my current one ever since the swap in 2008. Im going to try a retune from Don Lasota first but if that doesnt work then im done with it. I was thinking of going back to an SC so heres the question I needed the expert advice for. How much more is it worth to find a 94-95 for the extra 20hp and 15ft/lb of torque? I belive they had the better supercharger on them. I would try to find a 5 speed of course but would take an auto if everything else was what im lookin for. Alot of parts off my current one would transfer over as well. I appreciate all the info!

I like the looks of the 89-93 better but the interior of the 94-95. A few things were changed but I would not trade my 89 for a 94-95.

I agree with the chief. I have had both. I have had a 90 35th car and now I own a 94. I do however believe the 94/95 had some improvements which I prefer. I like the fact that the 94/95 doesn't have a DIS module. That was a huge plus IMO. Second if you are set on an automatic the 4r70w has its advantages over the AOD (I love AOD's and peeps here know it but the 4r70w is inherently stronger). The 94/95 doesn't utilize the TEVES ABS system which again is a huge plus IMO. The 94/95 auto's however did not come with traction-lok differentials. That is a bummer. Certainly not a deal killer and an easy upgrade but still, what was Ford thinking???? There are more used parts available for the 89-93 cars and since most of our parts have been obsoleted by Ford that is a huge advantage for the folks that have the 89-93 cars. I am certain I am missing some more facts and for the record these are just my personal opinions. :) I don't want to start any more debates. We have enough going on with the manual vs auto thread. LOL

Well here's my $.02. The 89 5-speed had the most aggressive cam that Ford put in an SC so thats got to be worth something :rolleyes: I love my 89 and although I've never driven a 94/95 tbird SC, I did have a 95 Tbird LX and I think I like the interior on my SC more anyway. Its just a little more retro without being excessively.

The 94/95 doesn't utilize the TEVES ABS system which again is a huge plus IMO.

To be accurate, the Gen1s have the Teves Mk II integral ABS. The later ones use the Teves Mk IV External ABS.

My car has neither now, due to fighting the Teves Mk II.

RwP

Agreed with the abs issues, I have a 89 sc and the abs is ~~~! But if you do get stuck with it I personally have had to trouble shoot the issues that come with it twice now, and I have gotten pretty good at it. So if you do get one with the hydroboost then I would be more than happy to aid in trouble shooting any problems with it as well I have a spare unit less the pump motor. I had to put my spare in 2 weeks ago. So I am keeping my eyes open for another spare

Another reason I was thinkin a 94-95 SC was I have the Cobra R hood that would transfer to it as well as the full Xenon kit. I think the Eibach pro kit that I have on mine will work on the SC. I plan on keepin the electronic ride control though. I never knew it was designed by Tokico! I have an 89 Trak-lok diff sittin in the garage as well as the front and rear sway bars which are the biggest ones for the SC's I think. I have all the aluminum suspension peices from the Mark VIII wich I will use as well as the 1 piece DS from a 93 Mark. More than likley I would be building the motor so that was gonna be my next question as far as what are some of the things guys are doing to make 350-400 rwhp? I enjoy the insight guys.

i prefer the 94-95 over the 89-93, much more comfortable interior, i've grown to like the exterior better as well now, the way i see it the 94-95 fixed all the issues that plagued the 89-93

just my opinion, everyone knows whats said about opinions though

Yeah im more acustom to the later model interior as well. What is a popular head swap with these? Or is it better to port the stock heads. I know the head gaskets will need to be replaced at sopme point. Thats a given since I blew two sets on my old SC.

Yeah im more acustom to the later model interior as well. What is a popular head swap with these? Or is it better to port the stock heads. I know the head gaskets will need to be replaced at sopme point. Thats a given since I blew two sets on my old SC.

I don't know of any heads that will swap. Mine have been ported with bigger valves installed by XR7Dave. He does excellent work! Give him a chance to hook you up with all the right parts you need. Use MLS head gaskets also.

I've read a couple articles of where people are removing first thing the resonator on these cars for not only flow purposes but for easing of the head gasket issue. What about for cooling as heat is also a big factor. Maybe a 180 degree thermostat, high volume water pump and a Mark VIII radiator fan? Also as far as cooling for the SC temps? I would like to do alot of preventative maitinence on the car before I start modding it. Itll probly wind up being a 94-5 car. Auto or manual hasnt been decided on yet. Depends on easier to come by.

The auto trans in the 94/5's was really weak. Most guys here rather than rebuild it swap in a late model Mustang trans which requires repinning of the connector.

Cooling is not an issue from the fan, it's just a matter of the cooling systems being degraded over time and the radiator being on the small side. Plan on putting a Griffen in there and forget the cooling issues.

From an exhaust standpoint, that has nothing to do with headgaskets, but replacing the cats with high flow versions will reduce the heat at the heads which is good. The 94/5 exhaust system overall is really restrictive, especially from the cats back. But don't count on changing it resulting in big power gains or anything.

Power in these cars comes from heads/cam if you get into the motor, and then from a better supercharger and intercooler setup. Don't expect to make over 300rwhp with an auto, and 250rwhp is more common with basic mods.

Making 350-400rwhp takes a major investment.

I like the air bags in the 94/95 cars better than those awful automatic belts. I do think the 89-91 looked the best when the front cover was still embossed. I like the early wheels better but wished they were directional.
Mark

So if im wanting to eclipse the 300rwhp mark I would need to stay with a 5 speed. As far as mods I was going to keep it basic at the most. Heads, cam, manifolds, exhaust, fmic, port the SC and the plenum, pulleys, and a tune for starters on the motor. How much hp/tq can a stock bottom end handle? Any popular motor mods I've missed?

The SC bottom is the best out there unless you want one off custom pieces.

For 300 RWHP Heads, Cam, 3" exhaust (most will say duals but I'm more a fan of 2-1-2), 85mm TB/MAF, 60# or 100# injectors, 255lph fuel pump and MPX. My personal opinion is with this you could get 300 with either auto or manual, and tune is a given.

Back