ABS Brake Master Cylinder Assembly - Teves Mark II - (1989 - 1992)

Probably, pressure warning switch (5 pin plug) and hydraulic pump motor are damaged by brake fluid. Brake pedal is stiff, there are no brakes an my electrician is helpless. He tried to help with pump motor but gave up with warning switch. That's why i'm looking for whole assembly.

You most likely don't need an entire master cylinder assembly unless you have a leaking seal.....

Almost all ABS problems are centered around the pressurizing system: pump, pump motor, pump motor relay, accumulator, and pressure switch.....

Do you have the unit off the car yet.....

ABS theves II

It is still mounted. We have tried with adaptation of pressure warning switch, but it failed. My electrician have said that he had managed to help with pump motor.
The problem is that we have Cougar in Poland. I can buy and pay for parts becouse I've my close family in Alpha NJ (and Pay Pal account). Their part of job is to check, pack and send parts. This system is reliable with the exception of remanufacturing parts in USA.
Of course we can check on monday all symptoms and send you report with photos, but I'm afraid that buing whole assembly will be the only one solution to the problem. If you only can advise and help us, I would be grateful.

The ABS portion of the master cylinder is a modular component.....

I would like to know the following:

Did the brakes go out gradually, or did they just stop working?

Are the red brake light and amber ABS light on?

Are you getting any brake fluid leaking from the weep hole at the bottom of the pump motor?

Does the pump motor run when you turn the ignition switch on?

If it doesn't run, have you tried to apply 12v power straight to the pump motor to see if it runs?

Last edited:
As far as I remember there was no red or amber light. And for sure brakes just stop working (from day to day).
I will answer all questions on monday. My cat is in my electrician's workshop. As soon as possible I will visit him and start all checks. But just in case, keep one assembly for me please (if my was really useless)

No problem.....

I have all the ABS parts to get your system repaired.....

You just need to find out which part is giving you your problem....

They are not that hard to trouble shoot....

I've visited my electrician and after checks, answering your questions:
1. Brakes just stopped working.
2.There was/is no red brake light or amber abs light
3. Probably, there was a leak from the weep hole but it is hard to declare for sure becouse almost whole assembly (bottom) was covered with brake fluid
4. The pump motor does not run after we turned ignition switch on
5. It runs when we have applied 12v power straight to the pump motor

the problem appeared after changing power steering assembly (pump and the rest of steering)
These are all facts I have completed

If you have no dash warning lights then the issues is not the ABS system. If the ABS system fails, the lights will come on.

Most likely the problem is electrical on the part of the car wiring rather than the ABS. The fact that you do not have any dash warning lights points to a problem with the ignition switch (recall item for all Thunderbirds), or an issue with power at the main fuse box. Check the ABS fuse there for power. Make sure there is power there, not just if the fuse looks ok.

If you have no dash warning lights then the issues is not the ABS system. If the ABS system fails, the lights will come on.

Assuming that the light bulbs aren't burned out. :p

Yes, this sounds like it could be an electrical circuit problem. Did you check the ABS relay for proper operation? (Although, yes, there should in theory be a warning light if that was the problem.)

I am concerned about the brake fluid all over the assembly. Is the soft hose intact? Otherwise, where did the fluid come from? The pump shaft seal can fail, and that would be a likely source, but that leak would be in one specific spot. Or could this leak be from a fitting or even from spilling brake fluid during pad changes and such? It must be recent, since the stuff dries up over time.

I'm with Dave on the ignition switch.....

But you really need to find out where the brake fluid id coming from.....

Most likely the front seal of the pump motor or the rubber supply line from the reservoir to the pump....

New facts:
1. Pump runs after turning ignition switch on, but only for a while. It doesn't give pressure.
2. As I have mentioned there are no red or amber light (bulbs are not burnt for sure - we checked it carefully)
3. When we have applied power directly to the one of pins (in pressure warning switch - 5 pin plug), pump started working and giving pressure)
4. Pump is washed and right now we are observing where is the leak

Electrician said that ABS fuse and ignition switch are rather OK. (I have changed my ignition switch 3 years ago for the new one)

Now I really don't know what to do...

I'm with Dave on the ignition switch.....

But you really need to find out where the brake fluid id coming from.....

Most likely the front seal of the pump motor or the rubber supply line from the reservoir to the pump....

Sounds like a pressure switch problem.....

When there is no brake fluid pressure to the switch, the pump will run.....

Once the proper pressure is achieved, the pressure switch breaks ground to the pump motor.....

Now you have to find the leak....

If the soft hose leaks, you can get a replacement from Contitech. It is the same type of hose used on 84-91 BMW 3-series cars. I mention this because you may find that easiest to get in Europe.

Is it possible to replace this pressure switch? Do you have one for sale? :eek:

Sounds like a pressure switch problem.....

When there is no brake fluid pressure to the switch, the pump will run.....

Once the proper pressure is achieved, the pressure switch breaks ground to the pump motor.....

Now you have to find the leak....

Back